You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: Strange Happenings On Erwin Court

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Happenings On Erwin Court

 

My husband re-enlisted for Fort Wainwright, Alaska in April 2002. We left Fort Benning in September of that year and took 1 month leave to go home before we flew out. We knew we were heading into one of the coldest places on earth during the winter months and an active earthquake zone to boot. But we were anxious to begin this new adventure. After 3 weeks in lodging we got a house over in Birchwood. It was a townhouse style home and it was very cozy. I don't remember exactly how long we were in the house before I had my first experience but it was active up until we moved in April 2006.

My husband worked nightshift on patrol quite a bit for the first year we were there. One night my husband was working and I was sleeping, I got woke up by 2 pokes on my left thigh. I thought it was my daughter wanting to climb in bed with me but when I rolled over no one was there and both kids were in bed sound asleep. I thought I had just been dreaming so I rolled back over and went back to sleep. I just put it out of my mind.

It was a few months later and my husband was actually home this time. I was laying on my left side and I don't remember how long I'd been sleeping but I was awakened by someone saying WHAT in a very forceful manner into my right ear. I could feel warm breath as it was said. I kicked my husband's leg and told him to leave me alone and let me sleep. He kicked me back saying he hadn't done anything because he was sound asleep. It ticked me off a little so I sat up and pushed on him to get him to wake all the way up. He kept saying he didn't do anything and that I should just let him go back to sleep. We went back and forth for a few minutes and I told him what had happened before and he said one last time that he hadn't done it and that maybe it was one of my "friends" that seem to follow me around and that I should just let it go and go back to sleep since there's nothing either of us could do about it. I thought whatever, I'll just go back to sleep.

Then one night a few months later my husband and I were downstairs watching tv after we put the kids to bed. Our daughter, who was almost 3 at this time, liked to get out of bed and try to stay awake as long as she could. Well when we heard little footsteps coming down the stairs we figured she was going to have an excuse to be up, so my husband went and jumped at the bottom of the stairs to try and catch her and no one was there. He looked at me and said I know you heard that just as well as I did and I looked at him and said yeah I did. So we both went upstairs to see if either of the kids were awake and they were both sound asleep. He just looked at me kind of puzzled and I just shook my head and said I told you so.

There was always things getting misplaced throughout the house that would turn up a few days later. Nothing new. The tv's upstairs and downstairs shut off a lot and the dryer door popped open a couple of times. I had the door to the garage lock itself on me one time when I went to put stuff in the trash. I always saw shadows moving out of the corner of my eye, and I REFUSED to go downstairs at night after we had gone up to bed. My husband would laugh at me but I just couldn't do it.

The last big thing that happened occured about a month before we PCS'd to New York. My husband was working the night shift and it was a very cold snowy night. Me and the kids had been inside all day and I'd just fed them so I told them I was going to go get a shower and that they should come upstairs and play until I was done. I made sure the front and back door as well as both screens were locked before we went upstairs. For some reason I just wanted them to be upstairs with me.

I got out and dressed for bed and asked them if they wanted anything to snack on or drink before we went back up. And we all started down the stairs and my dog was laying in front of the OPEN front door staring at it like she was going to pounce on something. Now my kids stayed upstairs with me and I know this because I could hear them playing while I was in the shower AND the house was all locked up. How in the hell did my screen door and front door get opened?

I panicked and grabbed my kids, threw their coats at them and told them to get the dog and get in the car. I threw my coat on, grabbed my purse, closed and locked the door, and got in the car and left. I called my husband as soon as I backed out of the driveway and told him what happened and said that he needed to come to the house and go through it before me and the kids would go back in it. He said he'd be home in a couple minutes but I wasn't going back without him so I kept driving. I ended up meeting the police car at the entrance to our neighborhood and he had another MP behind him so they flipped on their lights and sped off toward the house. I had left in such a hurry that I left all the lights on and the tv's on upstairs.

I wasn't going back in until they went through every room, closet, and crawl space and cleared that house. I tried to keep my composure for my kids sake but I was scared to death. It just didn't make any sense and even though they didn't find anyone in the house or any indication that anyone had tried to get in it didn't make me feel any better. Both kids slept with me that night as well as our dog. We had taken up drinks and snacks and movies. They got a few toys to play and sleep with so as soon as we were all settled and my husband had to go I locked the bedroom door and put my baseball bat between the bed and my nightstand. Don't know what good it would've done since I figured it wasn't something I could see anyway but it made me feel a little better having it right there.

Needless to say I was not sorry to see us leave that house. I only hope that the next people who moved in haven't had any unexplained happenings like we did.

Other hauntings by deannah

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, deannah, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Haggis (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-05)
Hi, interesting story!
You just never know where or when these things can happen but hopefully not often lol.
camswidow (1 stories) (15 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
freaky, yes. But with the dryer door thing, was it running when it would open? If so, shoes do it to mine ALL THE TIME! Mainly my decesed husbands boots.
quixoticqt (5 stories) (104 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-29)
Truely scary story.
I would have blessed the house if I really liked the place.
I don't really know how many burgleries there are in Birchwood but I do know that there aren't many in Alaska.
I do leave my door open when I leave my apartment here in Seward but the only time I go to lock it is at night when were sleeping. If I do forget I'm not all rilled up about it. Not much in my house to salvage.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-01)
this one is scary!
It is no wonder you were glad to move out of that house
rhondaskppr (2 stories) (39 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-28)
Yep...I would have got out too. Lol! I always think of the people that might be living in our old houses! I just want to go knock on the door and tell them who I am and just come out and ask. Having my dead brother watch over me is one thing but I don't know who the others are. Like the Soldier in our home. When it first happened I wanted to get help and ask and talk about it but I just knew people would think I'm crazy until other wives was having the same problem. I didn't know until I started making friends! I'm glad I am not the only army wife that has this problem. Thanks for your story.
Cholulteca (148 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-29)
Scary!, I always see those movies where the lady grabs a knife and go searching the house...ha!, I would have done same thing you did!, got out in a whisper!... 😭
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2009-06-28)
Wow Interest story I feel same way before and always carry a baseballbat near me just in case.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: