You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: A New Year Prank

Real Ghost Stories

A New Year Prank

 

It was Christmas vacation and I was spending New Year's Eve out on the countryside as I usually do. The reason I chill out there is because all my cousins and friends have the most fun when we're all hangin' out together...

Every year, we pull pranks for entertainment but decided not to do so this year as our New Year's resolution.

So me and 3 of my cousins were walking around the neighborhood and were looking up to the skies for fireworks. It was a lot noisier than the previous years since more people decided go back to the countryside to spend time with their families. We felt so bored since there was really nothing much to do, so for suspense, we headed for the huge thick woods bringing only one cellphone and a flashlight.

It was 10:38 and there was still nothing to do, even though we already headed to the freakiest parts of the countryside. A few minutes later, one of my cousins sensed something near one of the trees. She said that she saw something which seemed like a floating entity that had bat-like wings and only had a body, anything below was either concealed or invisible. She said that the unknown being suddenly flew away before she could identify what the "thing" actually was. There was a huge silence between the four of us, which was immediately broken when another one of my cousins started walking without telling why or what the reason was he left us for. He came to a stop when I took a rock and threw it at him. He turned and told us to follow him to where ever he was headed. As soon as he turned around, I felt a cold chill and sweat started to run down through my body.

With the hair at the back of my neck straightened, I followed my cousin with the girls behind me who started to freak out and kept pestering me to take them home. As the eldest of the group, I told them that I wasn't ready to leave behind one of our cousins whose walking blindly to somewhere he has never been before--which was a stupid decision if you ask me...

Meanwhile, back in my friends house, everybody drank beer 'till they all passed out eventually. One of them who sat on a chair was half asleep and half awake hearing scratching noises on the window right next to him. The room was dim, and light from the fireworks showed a shadowy figure behind the window revealing the same floating entity that we saw earlier in the woods. Nervous, he slowly crept to the guys next to him, waking them up one by one and each freaked out about the floating shadowy figure behind the window. They managed to build up the courage to check it out, bringing knives and things to throw at the unknown visitor. Freaked out, they all went together, leaving no one inside but a huge mess from the party.

Suddenly, the phone rang which happened to be one of the girls that were with me when we went to the woods. She had told them that we're lost and afraid inside the woods and was begging them to come and find us. Alert, the floating entity fled and they all ran and followed it to the woods which was very convenient as they were headed there anyway.

We finally caught up to my cousin who stopped and started screaming at the top of his lungs. He wailed as if a ghost had suddenly appeared before him. We saw what seemed to be the missing body part of the floating creature we saw earlier and all ran as fast as we could. Behind us, we heard hard flapping noises and strong gusts of wind that prevented us from going any further since we were all scared to death. Me and my cousins regretted the day we ever set foot on the woods that night. Then we saw the creature once more. It swooped down from above and picked up its missing half. I ran as fast as I could and tried to get help while my cousin stayed with the girls.

I thought that if we ever wanted to get home, I had to run as fast as I could and find as many people I could find. Not long, I bumped into the search group and led them to my cousins. We went home and never mentioned any of the following events to our elderly. We figured that they wouldn't believe us if we had told them anyway, and more importantly, get in hell of alot'a trouble if we told them we went to the woods at night...alone.

Whatever happened that night, we kept to ourselves. We never mentioned anything to anyone cuz, who'd believe a couple of teens who got drunk in the middle of the night anyway? Right?

Still, everything we saw that night was real. I was not drunk nor were my cousins who came with me to the woods in the night of that event. We believe that the creature is called a "Mananaggal" which is described in Filipino folklore as an in-human creature that takes the form of a human by day, and grows bat-like wings at night. Splitting the body in half, it leaves the lower part hidden somewhere and flies off to feed on fresh meat, poultry, and sometimes human flesh. So don't think that my story's fake, cause there's a lot of this events that's happened in the past snd still happen to this day.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, peacemakerJohn, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Bela_10 (3 stories) (51 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-19)
It is "Manananggal", not "Mananaggal". It's probably just a typographical error. ๐Ÿ˜‰
bettinawesome (29 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-20)
Yes it is like a mananaggal. You should have brought some salt so you could kill it. Btw, where did this happen? Just curious;)
shemyka1 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-19)
Isnt that a philippine aswang? And one way to kill it is to put salt on the lower half of the body?...But I'm just not that sure...
luce (2 stories) (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-13)
I wish someone could get these creatures on film but they're always elusive.

[at] -_Syeetaque_- the Philippines traded with the Malays hundreds of years ago so I wouldn't be surprised if the creatures crossed each others borders:D
Ronove34 (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-01)
I heard that mananaggal's wind power while it's flying is equivalent into 12 Airbus a380 and 15 boeing 747-8I and -400? If that is so that thing is so fast. (creepy good thing you escape from its clutches) ๐Ÿ˜
Pyrafo (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-30)
i think that you should always bring anti-monster things like salt, garlic, a wooden stick, a rosary and other things, but most importantly are prayers. ๐Ÿ˜
odesey (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-10-26)
Hi peacemaker,

Scary... Huh... With all your fear you managed to run your way out of the woods alone? And leave the rest behind... If someone got scared, he would never let himself detached from the group. What you did was just a favor to the mananangal because you are running ALONE... If this will become movie, your story will be edited to have it come out as true as it should...
xAdiiBabyDoll16x (2 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-28)
Hi PeacemakerJohn, How strange, I remember one night I was with my cousins and friends around a campfire at her house and us and her dad, (my uncle) were telling scary stories. He told us about when he was in the Philippines (he's filipino, spanish, and mexican) and he was around a country-ish side too. It was at night when he was fixing a guys car and they were alone, when suddenly he said they saw this huge bat winged creature, with huge wings above them and he could actually feel the wind being thrown at him. He still remembers every single detail, and I can't help but feel that he probably saw the same thing you did!
โคAdi
-_Syeetaque_- (5 stories) (109 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-22)
Yeah I believe you...
Well, I am a malay, and malay terms for your 'manananggal' is 'penanggal', 'balan-balan' or 'hantu tanglung'. These creatures (i'm not sure whether it is a human being practising some sort of black magic or is it really a non-human being but I've heard of both) can separate their heads from their bodies, leaving them in hidden places. Their heads are separated from their bodies on the necks, with their intestines dangling from their neck, and sometimes blood dripping from them. They feed on newborn human babies (as far as I know). So if a newborn baby is missing right after labour, these creatures are likely to be suspected. Usually, midwives and mothers would faint out of terror after seeing them, so this makes their job stealing the babies easier.
BoyPinoy160 (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-12)
Magtapon ka ng Asin sa Half Nyang Katawan Para mamatay (Translate into english) Throw some salt into the half of his/her body (manananggal) Hope this help ๐Ÿ˜œ ๐Ÿ˜œ ๐Ÿ˜œ
WinkycatOfGhosts (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-16)
Thats very...creepy...After this event did you see the monster again?

With err... I don't have any jokes so...,winky โค
Sqweeky1297 (30 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-12)
ok I can't say that creatures name right but I think that you ran into the devil mixed with what that thing was. Ok I'm a young girl here and I am shaking all over so don't say how no one is going to believe cause now I'm going to have nightmares. ๐Ÿ˜จ ๐Ÿ˜จ ๐Ÿ˜จ! Hope that you don't run into the devil again. Good luck.
Smokeykins (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-29)
Whoa!That sounds very scary. I can just imagine for terrible that would've been for you. And the explanation of what you think you saw that night is pretty gruesome.

๐Ÿ˜จ
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-29)
Oh my god that is scary. Dude I believe you 100%. I would have peed in my pants if I saw something like that.
GILRIE ๐Ÿ˜จ
katie100 (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-29)
This story made me think of the mothman! Remind me never to go into the woods at night! Well at the moment I wouldn't anyway, because over here in England there has been strange sightings in the woods and animal carcuses in the woods so at the moment the woods over here are dangerous, maybe there could be more of the creature you saw! Who knows?! ๐Ÿ˜•
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-28)
Wow interest story sound like a moth man to me the story you talk about remind me from other state that I read before in folklore. But that is true story I read them about the bridge that kill alots people.
Trudy (92 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-28)
Whew! I'm glad you didn't get eaten. That would've been horrible. I guess you won't be going in those woods anytime soon.
ginko (1 stories) (38 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-27)
Mananangal is a in human creature in the philippines... I don't know why they don't have it on any other country ๐Ÿ˜ I think mananangal was created by thinking it really exist... By the way I bealive this story, and its really great...
LTskittles125 (13 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-27)
well I googled it and found a utube video that was really scary that showed exectally what you explained in your story. I believe this and hope you never experience anything like it again. ๐Ÿ˜Š
angel_eyes (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-27)
Wow that sounds very scaring story. I can imagine how you and your friends must have felt. I googled this name Mananaggal and saw what really you meant. It looked very scary to me. I will try to look in youtube to see if they got any video of it. I never heard of this kind of creatures living in this earth.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: