You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Poltergeist?

Real Ghost Stories

Poltergeist?

 

When I was a teenager, my mates and I used to hang out a lot at the home of one of our friends. She had explained to us previously about several odd goings on that took place in her house, involving all her family. Although I never doubted anything that had happened there, I wasn't spooked as I hadn't experienced anything there myself. As my own house scared me half to death most of the time, anything 'differently' paranormal would have been a welcome change to me.

I'll start be filling in the story with the accounts of the family. In this house a presence was always felt by the family, doors would lock shut, doorknobs twisting and turning by themselves, the family dog acting really strange etc. The scariest experience (in my opinion) was a very tall figure witnessed upstairs in a doorway with a large head and two circling eyes (one pointing upward, one downward).

My own experience in the house happened one night when a gang of us were having a sleepover and we were of course telling ghost stories to freak each other out. I was sleeping by a fireplace and not exactly relishing the thought of a night by it.

It happened gradually at first, but slowly but surely, and with advancing speed, the interior shutters (the wooden kind you will find in Georgian houses) started flapping and shaking as if a sudden storm had taken hold. We rationalized this as an unexpected gale force wind. Now, this was during summer, and there was not a drop of rain or wind outside, let alone a storm. In any case, these were the inside shutters!

We were a bit scared, but then slightly relieved when we heard the front door slam and someone running up the stairs, followed by a flushing loo. We thought it was a family friend returning for the night, and I for one was glad of some human activity to break up this unexplained sort of activity.

Next day of course, we discovered no-one had come back during the night.

I can only guess it was poltergeist activity occurring in the house, but I thought that in those circumstances, entities or ghosts don't usually manifest.

Comments totally welcome, even if this was not the scariest story really.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, waterLily, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

supernaturl (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-02)
i don't know what to say. The windows are typical of a Poltergeist. The stairs are very typical of most hauntings, but the toliet however is not. It would be cool to lok on the web about alternative reallities, co exsisting plan that sort of suff it would be intresting. Because if you are 100% sure that nobody was in the house. I don't know were I stand on these ideas but it would account for the window shaking and the person running up your stairs and using the toliet. Just an idea. 😉
ghosthunter123 (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-01)
This doesn't sound like poltergeist activity. They usually just cause mischief and I have never heard of one making the sound of running up stairs. Ghosts can manifest but the theory is that they usually don't because it takes a lot of energy and it is difficult. Poltergeists also only haunt one person not an entire family or friends of the family. I may be wrong but I don't think this was a poltergeist.
Hanbobs (20 stories) (119 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-01)
Hi - just a suggestion, you could try the knock once for 'Yes' and twice for 'No' to see if anything happens or command them to reveal them selves... It may sound stupid but I've seen a lot of this done in homes where a Poltergeist is apparently living (not in the flesh as I would run at the 1st sign of anything freaky or scary lol) but I have seen a lot on Documentries. How ever you cannot be sure if these are genuwine but it won't hurt to try it...
Have a look on YouTube and type in The Warrens Ghost - there a couple who literally hunt ghosts. They're like the real Ghost Busters. The video you're after is one where they are sat around a kitchen table with a family. I won't go into any more detail as you can see it for yourself if you like. But he does the knocking questions and recieves responces... I think the video is also on this website under the Pictures tab...
Good luck 😊
Konjou84 (21 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-30)
AHH the same things used to happen in my sister's old house. It was a story and everytime we were downstairs in the night we would hear things and see things freaky comming from upstairs and if we were upstairs things came from downstairs. We even had to throw out a pretty glass doll because at midnight when someone was walking past it we would complain about her green eyes glowing it would follow our movements. The dogs would start barking and crying and every night I would see a blonde woman walking up and down the stairs at night for the whole 2 years we lived there but she never did anything to try and hurt us. Nothing ever happened really only the opening and closing of doors, alarm clocks waking us up either to late or too early and a creepy doll staring at people in the night. Maybe their experiencing the same but I wouldn't recommend telling them to stay there. 😉

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: