You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghost Crossing

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Crossing

 

I have a sort of creepy residual haunting story I would like to share. The incident takes place near my old neighborhood in Richmond, Virginia. This is an easily verifiable location and I encourage others to check it out to see if they see the same thing I have seen.

The first time I saw the "thing" was when I was in high school. I had just gotten my drivers license and was driving home after a late event at my high school.

I have to stop for a minute to explain how my father taught me to drive. He always taught me to look as far ahead as possible to check for things that could become a problem, like kids playing on the sidewalk, pedestrians, etc. He also taught me to look for "moving shadows" when I was driving at night, because sometimes you can't see someone in the dark, but you can see their shadow moving in front of other light sources. I guess this has made me especially aware of shadows while driving at night, and probably helped me see the "thing".

So I was heading south down Brook Road (US Route 1) on the section between Azalea Avenue and Hilliard Road. As I passed the Brook Run shopping center and went through the light at the entrance to the shopping center I was looking ahead for pedestrians, etc. All of a sudden, I saw in my headlights the pants legs of a man walking across the road. I knew if I didn't stop I would run into him, so I slammed on the brakes and slid to a stop in the road. No one was there. I had clearly seen gray pants, wrinkles and all, illuminated in my headlights, and they were walking from the left-hand median into the center of my lane. Needless to say, it shook me up a little. But that's not the only time I saw it.

About 3 years later I was coming back from an event at my church and was passing the same spot. (FYI - I was in a different car) I again saw the gray pants walking from the left-hand median into my lane. This time I didn't overreact, and instead slowed down. There was no one there. Now, every time I pass that spot I look for the pants. The last time I saw it was about 5 years ago. I was coming back from an event downtown and was passing the same spot. Again, I saw the pants. This time I was with my husband and tried to point them out to him, but he didn't see them. He has really bad night-vision, so maybe that's why he didn't see it.

I have only seen the "pants" at night and only during warm months, so if you decide to cruise the area, wait until after dark. And watch your speed because police sometimes set a speed-trap on that stretch of road.

A little history on the location:

The area around the Brook Run shopping center was the location of major earthworks and trenches built during the Civil War to keep the Union army out of Richmond. There were a few deaths associated with the earthworks. There is a historical monument inside the shopping center parking lot. Also, at the bottom of the hill, where Hilliard Road crosses Brook Road, is the location where Gabriel, a famous slave had instructed his supporters to meet to begin a slave rebellion in the summer of 1800. Check out Wikipedia under Gabriel Prosser for more details about Gabriel. There is also a location in the area that is supposedly haunted by Gabriel, but I'll write that in another story.

Other hauntings by NewsBys

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, NewsBys, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-04)
NewsBys--Any new experiments at the crossing? Any photos? Any new developments? ~ James
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-13)
NewsBys--Glad to hear you recovered from the flu. Remember the old children's rhyme:
I saw a bird, I named it Enza. I opened the window, and in flew Enza.

I checked out many of the sites on that webpage, including the flag raising at the Brook Run cemetery, and the Then and Now pages. I hoped to see the intersection in question. Your description shows how difficult it would be to get the same angle as your approaching car, but maybe that's not necessary. If the police run speed trap tapes, an interview might yield you astory or two. If you could guesstimate the time of night, it could narrow the investigation.
Following this up may contribute more to the city history. ~ James
NewsBys (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-12)
Hey everyone,
Sorry I did not respond sooner. I was on vacation, and then got the flu or something.
Ready to answer your questions now:

Princess123 - I was either 17 or 18 when I first saw it.

JamesRobiscoe - I have been trying to think of a way to stake out the area and capture it on video. But the angle I have always seen it from was the road. There is a high median, sort of like a hill in between the north bound and south bound lanes. So it would be hard to set-up on the road level. Also, I think the PD has a shooting range or something in the woods to the east of the intersection. Police cars go in and out often and they like to set-up speed traps in the drive to their "whatever it is". I would probably attract a lot of attention, but it's worth a try. I'll see if I can get a picture of the area, so it is easier to visualize and so people can know exactly where to look. I'm interested if anyone else can see it. I wonder if any cops have ever seen it while on their speed-trap stakeouts. I had not thought of that before.
As far as civil war history goes, here is a link to a site that talks about the flag being raised at the trench monument:
Http://richmondthenandnow.com/Brook-Run.html - it has some pictures of the area too.

Also - page 114-115 of this book (available on Google books) has a brief description of the area and it's entrenchments - Field armies & fortifications in the Civil War
By Earl J. Hess
This book says there was only a three gun entrenchment at the site, but a group of guys I knew in school claimed to have hiked through several smaller trenches as well. These are gone now due to development on the property. I guess those were more like foxholes for infantry.

Shandi - It was like my headlights only illuminated the bottom-half of someone. I could not see anything higher than the upper-thigh. But if there had really been anyone there, I would have seen them crossing the street and would have probably hit them. Does that help?
It is kind of weird, because I have always heard of spirits being either shadows or emitting their own light source. The portion that my lights illuminated looked solid.
The first time, when I overreacted and slammed on the brakes I was in a late 70's model car without non-skid brakes, so I skidded to just about where the pants were, but there was nothing there. Not even an angry pedestrian.
shandi (9 stories) (86 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-05)
Sorry if this sounds dumb, I'm just trying to visualize what you saw. Did it look like a pair of empty disembodied pants walking across the street or was it more like you only saw what your head lights hit so you just couldn't see the rest of the person (spirit)? Great story I don't know if I will ever get to see Virginia but I would like to someday drive down that road.
louie (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-04)
Wow you saw it so many times! Maybe do as James suggest and see if you can help this spirit. Good luck ❤
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-03)
NewsBys--Fascinating! Our country's Civil War was such a profound conflict in world history, it holds a special reverence in the hearts of millions, so your sighting has particular draw. Since you could see only the trousers, of course it could have been a fellow killed more recently in an auto (or horsecart) accident, but that you could not see the torso is suggestive. Could a cannon blast have cut him in two as he was charging? Such a sudden fatality could explain a residusal recreation. Or can the spirit not summon the energy to fully manifest?
Do you have the gumption to park your car in the shopping mall lot and hang out at the intersection with a camera and/or recorder and (when no one is looking) ask questions? It would be such an act of charity if you could free this person.
~ James
princess123 (7 stories) (186 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-03)
Freaky story. I hope that you sort it out. Also I have a question... How old were you when you first saw "the thing". Xx

Princess123 x ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: