You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Lady in the Basement

Real Ghost Stories

The Lady in the Basement

 

I moved to a new house nine months ago to stay with a friend of the family while I was going to college. The house seemed mostly normal, aside from a few bumps in the night, until about a month ago. The first thing happened when I was sleeping. The woman I live with (who doesn't believe in ghosts) woke me up to ask me if I had turned the television on. I hadn't used the television in a few days as I don't really watch that much television and it was a completely random occurrence, so the tv couldn't have been set on a timer or it would have been turning on and off at the same time every day. So we dismissed it for the time and went to bed.

A few days later I was cleaning the house when I heard a woman singing. There was no radio on and I was the only person in the house. I went to see what it was and realized it was coming from the basement area. I stood next to the basement door and listened for a minute. After a few seconds, I heard footsteps coming up the stairs from the basement! I opened the basement door and there was no one there. Shortly after that (maybe a half hour later), I was eating lunch and the television turned on and then off. I sort of just disregarded it because it wasn't THAT big of a deal and I love the paranormal! A few seconds later, a woman's voice started talking in the back bedroom so I went to see if maybe the tv was on and it wasn't. There was no one in the room and I was home alone.

I called my mom to talk to her about it so I wouldn't feel creeped out. After that, not much happened for a few days and then about a week and a half later, I was cleaning the bedrooms and waiting for my friend to call. She said she would call around noon so I said OKAY and just cleaned while I waited. It was about 1:00pm and I decided to call her to see what she was doing. She said she had called and someone had picked up the phone and she could hear a tv in the background and then the phone was hung up. I thought maybe she had gotten the wrong number and she said she would hang up and hit redial because nobody had made any phone calls since then.

A few seconds later my phone rang. I was on the phone with her and I happened to walk by the basement door and I heard voices so I went down the stairs and found the basement television on. There is a phone in the basement of my house because my roommate's son used to stay down there so she put a phone in for him. Someone answered my phone from the basement and I was the only person in the entire house. The television in the basement had also not been used for AT LEAST a couple weeks and was definitely not set on a timer and the remote was on the shelf.

I think a woman stays in my basement. She sings sometimes and I hear her walk around. I like her though and she is friendly. Ghosts don't have to be scary! She is nice and she has a pretty singing voice. Sometimes I go downstairs and talk to her but nothing happens. Then when I go back upstairs she'll start making noise.

Other hauntings by xXxSpiralxXx

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

blackrabbit (1 stories) (10 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-02)
i had a nice ghost like this of what I think was an old lady in the first house I owned. It only scared me once when it showed itself to my 3 year old sone. I asked it to enver do that again and to my knowledge it never did. On a funny note though it seemed to love scaring the crap out of my cat, it used to drive the cat crazy. I think she died and her family moved away when I bought the house and returned and saw me and my kids living there and was just trying to watch over us. Once the posting page is back up I'll post the story.
crmanddkp (18 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-27)
😊 I love this story and your so lucky I have wanted to talk to ghost but I odnt know how exactly! Your soo lucky! Do you have any thing that could help me contact ghosts? If so feel free to e-mial me! God bless and have a great week! 😁
Chrono (2 stories) (41 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-26)
I loved this story! I love the paranomal, but I am still alittle scared to see a ghost and such. But I think to have a nice, friendly ghost friend would be lots of fun.
Good luck with her!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-09-13)
try using a tape recorder or EVP recorder yourself. When you are speaking to her, she may be responding but you may not be able to hear her. Recordings can sometimes oick up what the ear can not.

God Bless!
HELENA2006 (2 stories) (10 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-13)
Try to get ghosthunters to come to your house. They can probably catch some really cool things on video or tape recorder
sweetygracias (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-13)
hey you are a real brave women... Juz like my mamma... Lov you 4 being so positive...
Deno (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-13)
You might have a faulty TV. Try setting up a webcam in the basement and see if you can find anything.
Kodak (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-12)
At least she’s not vicious and tries to scare you for their amusement that it’s okay. I’ve heard some say ghosts are more afraid of you than you are of them. I’m sure she was just minding her own business.
zenaida_x3 (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-11)
i love this story, its super good, I wish something like that happened to me haha
madison (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-11)
You may of heard my story SCHOOL GHOST. And I know it it hard to talk to ghost. If something else happens makesure you let this website knows. GOOD LUCK! And tell the ghost Madison Says HEY GIRL! Good luck with your ghost friend.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: