You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: Someone Came A Knocking

Real Ghost Stories

Someone Came A Knocking

 

My family and I had recently moved from Florida into a renovated cottage in the countryside of Northern Ireland. We were just beginning to settle in and feel comfortable with the creaks and groans of a different house when I noticed that during the night I would often be stirred by a bluish flash of light, which was like a camera flash close to my closed eyelids.

It began to happen regularly and soon it was "normal enough that even my no nonsense husband had seen it.

One evening after I had settled the girls to bed and finally climbed into bed myself I heard a faint tapping sound coming vaguely from the direction of my husband's side of the bed. It was similar to the noises some machines make if they vibrate leaning up against a wall. It could have been the water heater left on, the pump which circulated hot water through the radiators from the fireplace or any number of things. My grumpy husband pointed this out and told me it was too late to be talking about it.

The tapping steadily grew louder and went from once every five seconds to every two or so and I couldn't just go to sleep without figuring out what it was. Despite his insistence that he didn't care he dutifully got out of bed and started listening to the walls and helping me figure out where the pipes were etc. During the process we pulled the bedside drawers away from the wall and the noise grew louder and more insistent. By this time both my husband and me were quite convinced it was more than a pipe and were quite horrified to realize the noise was clearly coming from the drawers now standing freely behind us. At this point I was desperately hoping that a mobile phone was vibrating in a drawer or something but sadly the phones were accounted for and plugged into their chargers.

We opened the drawers and found nothing, all the while the sound continued to come from the back of the unit so in desperation my husband ripped it off. There was a sudden speed up in the vibratory quality making it sound more like a low vocal growl and then it stopped. We put the room back together and now I'm sure I'll never get to sleep and I asked him "what do you think it means Anthony?" "I don't care I just want to go to sleep."

Other hauntings by NadimahElizabeth

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, NadimahElizabeth, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-28)
hmm I'm sure you would know if this occurence was paranormal or not.

I had a touch light that stopped working correctly after awhile and it would dim down and then get really bright randomly.

I was sleeping on the floor of my friend's room when I was a teenager and we heard some crazy noises coming from a dresser that she had. We thought what in the world and I told her to open the drawers and check them. When she opened the middle drawer a big mouse jumped out and ran over hand making her scream and drop the dresser drawer which broke. We both kind of laughed but it is possible for a mouse or loud bug to get inside of a dresser and make all kinds of noise.
NadimahElizabeth (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-26)
Well, it's a nice theory but click beetles have a distinct high pitched click which I am very familiar with and my bedroom in that house faced away from the road. I had thought that the touch lights in my room could have been making the bluish pulse of light, it might be normal for them to build up and discharge, they would have been close to my eyes, I probably wouldn't have noticed in the day time either. Anyone have touch lights that do this?
shadowkiller (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-20)
the taping could have been a type of beetle trying to find a mate and the flash could be cars passing by
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-19)
NadimahElizabeth--Hmmm, the chest goes with the cottage. I deduce that the tapping phenomenon is a general tradition and not just one with that particular chest, and that infers a broader and historical range of experience. So you have indeed done a bit of investigating.
Like most lore it's undoubtedly been embroidered over the years yet has a basis in more than one actual instance.
It's a blessing you had never cause to learn of it in your youth, and it's a relief to hear you and your family have changed abodes. Perhaps the omen was merely a warning for you to do so!
The blue light now is another known phenomenon, although I don't know if it has any other meaning besides a manifestation of otherworldly energy trying to work itself up to apparition form.

Since local laws mandate notification of hauntings connected to real estate, I would infer that there are definitions as to what constitutes a haunting beyond hearsay. So when you sold the cottage, did you tell the new tenants of your experience? Or were you renters and free of that obligation?
Your daughters apparantly have not witnessed any paranormal activity, but I wonder if you will continue to in future. As my doctor once told me, "You have one foot in this world and one foot in the next." I like to think that for every vulnerability we have, we have a comparable strength. Blessings on thee and thine.
~ James
NadimahElizabeth (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-19)
Thank you JamesRobiscoe, I do pray for protection, I moved out of that house three and a half months ago and this is the first house I've lived in that has't felt spooky -but these are still early days. The drawers belonged to the old cottage and stayed there when we moved out. I was born in Northern Ireland and returned here as an adult just to reconnect with family and such, I found out that tapping as we experienced is locally believed to be a precurser to the death of a family member. No-one died that I am aware of but I hardly know my family here. I also found out that the law requires that home buyers be informed of paranormal activity! I think it's funny that there are Laws aknowledging the existence of ghosts!
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-18)
Nadimah--How in the world could your husband dismiss this phenomena? As the saying goes, "Denial is more than a river in Egypt."
Without a clue otherwise to your relationship or why you moved from Florida to Northern Ireland, questions of the history of the house and the provenance of the chest of drawers may be the first issues to investigate. I somehow do not think that ripping the thing apart will make this phenomenon just give up and go away. Please consider calling upon the God you worship to give you and your family protection, and please keep us updated.
~ James

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: