You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Dark Human-like Silhouette

Real Ghost Stories

Dark Human-like Silhouette

 

We moved into a home in Palmerston Ontario Canada. This home is one of the oldest in the town: Originally built by a doctor around the year of 1883. We moved in and shortly after began seeing black human-like figures looking in the window at us.

One night my wife, Christine, and I sat down to turn the television on and we saw a black figure looking in the window at us. It was a snowy winter night; Christine got up off the couch and started walking towards the window very cautiously. I asked Christine if she was going to see who was in the window, believing it was just one of my daughters' friends. She responded with a yes, but when she got to the window no one was there. She thought someone was just playing a trick on us and maybe ran off to the side of the house. She quickly went to the front door beside the window and opened it and there were absolutely no footprints in the snow. She came in and said "John you saw the person right?" Curious, I said "yes, why?" She then asked me to come over for a second. She pointed to the snow where the figure was stood was untouched. There were no prints in the snow. We thought "Wow, that's just plain weird."

About a week later, my daughter had a friend over and was sitting on the computer in front of a window. She screamed, so we came running down the stairs asking, "what's wrong Ashley." She responded with "I just saw a black figure look in the window at me it was a man but it wasn't a man." I laughed and said, "How can it be a man but not a man?" She then said, "it was a black figure of a person with a beard but I could see through him". We immediately told her "don't be silly it's just your imagination". We didn't want to scare the kids by saying we saw it too a week earlier.

One night later we were sitting on the couch getting ready to retire for the night, all of a sudden my shiatsu dog, Beau, started growling at the window by the computer I turned my head to look over and saw the figure again so I kept my eyes on him and he stood there and in a blink of the eye he disappeared. Not moving side to side but just vanished. I said to my wife "you know there is something fascinated with us that keeps looking at us through windows." I said, "Maybe I should invite him in and put on the coffee". I opened the front door and said, "Hi, welcome to my home come on in if you want to. Your more than welcome to come in you know," with that my dog started barking and ran upstairs barking at nothing. I followed him upstairs and he was barking at my bed so I walked in my bedroom and there in front of me was a black figure in the corner of my eye that just vanished. A few days later my oldest daughter, Julieanne, said "did you guys come home early from work." We said "no, why?" She seemed surprised. "I got up to go pee and you were sitting on your bed, dad at about 3:30am". We thought this is just crazy. Since I was joking around and invited this figure in. We saw it at least every few days.

There was an old gentle man who came to out door one day asking for a donation for the heart and stroke foundation. I invited him in, and offered him a seat on our bench. He asked for a glass of water, we gave it to him. His name was Don Cherry. He told us a bit of history of our home. We were fascinated; he then asked "did you experience anything crazy in the home or outside?" Curious, we asked "why?" He said, "Well, the last owner donated every year and said he was seeing shadows. He put salt around the house, telling him to leave and he did." I said "Jesus Christ, I invited him back in the house jokingly. He is back in the house" He said, "You must say prayers get the entity to leave. It's bad. It's evil." I then started saying prayers and saying "dark forces, you leave my home now. Please leave." With that the dog barked at the cross on the wall as the cross spun around and fell in the middle of the floor, which seems impossible, but did.

After that, we moved a few months later and bought a farm about 60 kilometres away. I drive by once in a while but never stop. I often wonder if the new owner sees anything?

John

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, binder1967, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

WilliamBinder (1 posts)
+7
3 years ago (2021-01-16)
wow this has been 12 years years since I posted this article! Its actually been 18 1/2 years since my family has lived in that home. I think about this old home quite often. Once in a while I drive past it but don't stop anymore. The hair actually stood up on my neck as I read what I posted. All true but with time you tend to forget some details until you read it and its as fresh in my mind now as it was when it happened! I was never a believer in the paranormal until this happened to us.
binder1967 (5 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2010-11-28)
I drove past the old house last night around 10:30pm The new owner has put a new roof on the house and all new windows. A new fence in the back yard. He must be happy there to put that kind of money into it. Just driving by at 10 kilometers an hour gave me a sick feeling in my gut. I felt uncomfortable with shortness of breath and just wanted to leave. Sounds crazy but just felt very uncomfortable
😨
AwakenTheSoul (1 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-07-19)
wow. I'm glad you got out of it alright. I have seen black figures before and only on one occasion has it been terribly aggressive, just like the aggression you have experienced. I hope you never invite another into your home. I admit it was brave but, you led him closer to you, than he could have been.
-_Syeetaque_- (5 stories) (109 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-08-24)
However, its glad to know that you and your family are safe...
After all, safety is what matters... 😊
binders (guest)
+3
15 years ago (2009-08-23)
No I have never checked into the history and not sure if I would feel safe to. I know a doctor built the home in the 1800's according to the elder residents. They say he was kind and very religious. His young bride was killed by a spooked horse on the property it was a parcel of land so I would think 100 acres or so. He sort of went crazy after that. No one really know too much more than that
-_Syeetaque_- (5 stories) (109 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-08-23)
wow...
Have you ever checked the house's history...
Who knows you might find something...
But you should remember never to allow any suspicous looking figures whether they're human on not... Don't invite any... They might not leave...
binders (guest)
+3
15 years ago (2009-08-23)
I was in palmerston the other day. My youngest daughter was going to her friends house who lived the next home to our old house. The properties had their driveways together. I was in my daughters friends driveway. The gentle man who now own the property was out in his driveway whipper snipping or trimming the lawn. I said hi how are you! He said fine beautiful day today. I said yes its very beautiful today. Then said I lived in this house just before you. We moved because we got spooked in that old house. He said spooked? What do you mean?
I told him that we saw shadows and doors were closing and locking that were not possible. A cross spun and fell off the wall but not just drop to the floor it flew to the middle of the room with some force to it. I told him an old chap come to the door looking for a donation to the heart and stroke foundation. He told us that the previous person was seeing the same things. We decided to move shortly after fearing it would harm one of our children.
He told me a few things that were quite interesting and similuar to our expierences. He said he had his couch up against the wall where the windows were that we first saw the shadowy figure. He was writing on a christmas card for his aunt he said he heard a thump behind him and saw a shadowy figure looking in at him so he quickly got up and it vanished. He thought there was a peeping tom so he grabbed the 1 million candle light power flash light. So he went outside shined the light around and nothing so he turned the light off and was heading back inside and in the corner of his eye to the left he saw a shadowy figure go around the corner. He ran around the corner but nothing was there. He was taking a shower another time and there was steam on the mirror in front of the shower he saw a very faint immage of a man with a beard. The same immage my daughters friend ashley saw. He thought nothing of it thinking it was just light going through the steam reflecting. Another occasion was he just came home from work needing to use the washroom so he lay his keys on the table before going upstairs and when he reached the bathroom door there is no lock on it but it was closed and seemed to be stuck so he pushed hard on the door with hard force the door flew open and he saw his keys that were left downstairs fall to the middle of the bathroom floor right in front of him and he knew their was something or someone playing games with him. Htold his wife of everything he can think of that he can't explain that happened to him and she told him of a few things she blew off as just crazy or being tired. The day her bathroom light kept going off and on while she was showering. When she got out of the shower the switch was off but the light flickered again. She just thought water is a conductor of electricity and maybe it made contact that turned the light off and on. Then the door bell was ringing one chime is the front and 2 chimes is the back the door chimes once and when she went to answer it she saw a black figure in the coner of her eye take off around the corner. She thought it was just light flickering though the tree leaves in the front yard. Maybe the door bell was someone who had just left because she took too long. The worst even was they had some friends over for new years and a friend went to use the washroom and the door was closed and she knocked with no response so she asked anyone in the washroom no one answered. She opened the door and there was a older gentleman in his mid to late 50's he had a beard that came half way down to his belly button. He had on black pants and shirt with a omish looking hat. She said I am soo sorry I didn't know you were in here. She closed the door went down stairs and was pacing back and forth by the stairs. When the host of the party asked what's wrong she replied I have to go use the washroom bad but your that old guy in black is in there! She said who? The old guy in black! She said there is no old guy in black here tonight. The both went upstairs and the door was open to the washroom with no one else up there. The owners said they said some prayers and asked the entity to leave politely and the furnace downstairs started banging and in a raspy voice with a swiss or german accent they heard leave now very lightly The owners are now going to put the house on the block now that they can sell and not loose too much money on the house. I was shocked at the things he told me but knew it was ever soo flamiliar to me and everything was basically the same shadowy figure, bathroom door, man with a beard and when asked to leave he got angry. I hope these people sell and are happy with their new purchase they are about to make. I also hope peace is with them
Sorcha (59 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-07-28)
Wow you got to meet Don Cherry, was he wearing a crazy suit? =)

Your story was very creepy. You were brave to invite it in lol
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-28)
binders--Thanks for adding that episode with your cat locked in the bathroom. Does add more dimension to the entity and your perceptions of it. How and more importantly why the door was locked upon your cat is open to conjecture. The cat was defensive to what it was perceiving but happily not harmed.
Your wife reminded you to a good point you probably hold yourself if you hadn't felt a little adventuresome in that moment of invitation.
I'm sure your family was just as happy to find a new place with less challenge and certainly less edge.
If you have any other odd encounters, let us know!
binders (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-27)
we lived there for 19 months and it was a lease to own. We really liked the home it was a interesting property
binders (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-27)
We were just scared of what it could be. My wife and I were talking about the event after I submitted the story. She reminded me that our cat snowball was locked in the bathroom in that home. We had a hook and eye on our bathroom door to lock it. We came home one day with the cat growling in the washroom. We thought one of the kids were in there with him because the door had to be lifted a 1/16 of an inch for the hook to line up with the eye. Its not possible for it to be accidently locked from the out side. When my wife asked who is in the washroom no one answered. She asked again who is in the washroom and no one anwered, I got the ladder out of the Garadge and went up to the second floor window and snowball was still growling at the corner of the door. I slid the window open up and climbed in, I opened the door. I removed the hook and eye so it couldn't happen again. We were not sure how it did in the first place. My wife just says anything is possible and don't invite anything into your home that you are not willing or capable of dealing with.
ArchAngelMichael39 (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-27)
This problem is just a lingering
Sprit whom doesn't want to leave.
How long did you live in the house if
More than 2-5 years, it's just a
Confused sprit trapped in the 3 world.
I may sound nuts, but if it didn't hurt
You: then I don't understand why you would move out. It's just confused. Like me and you can get.

Viva La Vida Loca,

Sam 🤔
AngelDemonGhost101 (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-27)
That is creepy, and interesting. It doesn't sound like a happy spirit at all 😕 maybe it just didn't want to leave. The good thing is you got rid of it and that it's hopefully gone for good! It's not always easy getting rid of things like that. You're brave.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-07-27)
binders--An interesting story since it drew in all of your family. There's something incomplete about it, though. A spirit who believed in no God or afterlife might've been left to wander, angry enough to spin the cross and cast it to the ground when you ordered it out, but an evil force would put up more resistence. I gather you were renting and had nothing to do with the next occupants. Perhaps they weren't so fortunate as you to have a warning. No doubt, though, it's a shared family memory. Thanks for telling it.
shellybelly (2 stories) (11 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-07-26)
Thats really creepy I hope that you learned your lesson. -Thanks for sharing-

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: