You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: A Night At The Brook Forest Inn

Real Ghost Stories

A Night At The Brook Forest Inn

 

My girlfriend and I are both chefs in our early 30's. We have a 9 month old daughter. My girlfriend is (was) a skeptic, but I have always been a believer in the paranormal. I wanted an experience of my own, and always told myself I wouldn't be afraid if I saw a ghost. I am a Denver native and the only place I ever heard about was the Stanley hotel.

Recently my girlfriend found out her old pal moved to Evergreen. We went to visit and noticed her house was very old and made almost completely of quartz. (Quartz is supposedly a catalyst for paranormal energy). We casually asked about the construction. She told us how the building is a part of the homestead of the Brook forest inn, across the street. We looked and noticed it is also founded on quartz. She added that the inn is haunted, offering to get us a room some night if we were interested. We jumped at the opportunity.

When we first arrived, the ambience of the inn was incredible. A very strong sense of history and majesty is apparent immediately. We were excited to have a tour, the highlights of which were the basement (closed to the public) and the De Goya room. Legends of children dying in this inn are common, the original owners son in this room. We stayed in the ambassador suite where a forbidden lover strangled his lover and then hung himself out of guilt for killing her. He was Carl, a stable boy, she a maid named Jessica. Both of us kept getting an eerie feeling of being watched, our daughter staring at corners and smiling at something over our shoulders, both uncharacteristic of her. I took digital photos of all the rooms and basement, and the dining hall, many orbs captured. I got an overwhelming feeling of a chill pass over me the outer corner of the dining room. Once asleep, I woke to find myself sweating bullets. The room was comfortable, maybe a bit chilly when I lied down. My girl woke up and said she was also hot. She turned on the fan and we both went back to sleep.

I was awakened by a bang at the double door to our room. I got spooked by this because we were the only people in the building. The staff was all gone and locked up 3 or 4 hours earlier. I lay in bed staring at the wall near my side of the bed and tried to talk myself back to sleep, but I heard voices, giggles, heavy footsteps and the bathroom door creaking loudly over and over. I made sure to close all windows in our room, so after an hour or so I woke my girl and asked her if she heard anything strange. Of course she said 'no, it's an old hotel, go to sleep'. (The next day she told me she heard things too)

After about 45 more minutes of me trying to sleep, my daughter woke up screaming, which she has only done once before. We brought her to bed and 10 minutes after I got an intense feeling of dread. I was being lured to turn over and look at the bathroom door. I talked myself into it and turned over. Staring into the dark I saw nothing at first, and then above the shower curtain I saw a weird emerald light. It was bright, but not the way a light bulb is, it didn't illuminate the bathroom at all. It was as if it was directed at me, somehow. I wanted to move and get up, take a picture, but I couldn't get up the nerve. I watched it for what seemed like 10 minutes, and then it disappeared. I got up and turned on the light, but I found nothing to explain the strange green glow. I look forward to staying there again with more equipment and more courage.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, dimitrilolo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

roccermom85 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-14)
Old story, but some of these comments...lol. I liked the story. I don't believe orbs are anything more than dust balls flying around, which in an unoccupied room it is odd to have dust flying around. Something has to disturb it, but 9 times out of 10, or 9.5 times out of 10 orbs are dust. Green, glowing lights however are not often confused with dust. Lol.
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-17)
[at] Nectarvor - First sign of madness is talking to yourself... Or venting to yourself, in a 4 year old post... 😁 This made me laugh.
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-17)
As long as a person isn't reckless and is reasonably in tune, there is nothing wrong with exploring a site. The only taboo places to me are indigenous sacred sites. And then, that's because I am caucasion, so its a respect I give the dead because they died at the hands of my ancestors. Argh! This judgememtal holier than thpu stuff gets me so steamed up. I wish there was a filter for it. This story was posted yonks ago and I still get so wild I just have to respond. Laughing at myself.
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2013-12-17)
For the commenter below, seriously, get a grip. Evil spirits are attracted to those who experience intimacy outside the confines of marriage? What an archaic and dogmatic thing to say. I thought it was a great story and I applaud the curiosity of the author. As llong as the search is respectful to the memory and possible presense of the deceased and all due care is taken, why not go back for a second evening?
sanjeevgeorge (guest)
-2
12 years ago (2012-03-27)
For what you say at the end of your story, I will advise you against doing that. Let sleeping dogs lie.

And perhaps you both should get married now, because evil spirits tend to come near those who keep husband-wife relations outside marriage
Preeti (100 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2009-09-27)
My Dear friend please don't play with yourself...come to india to see ghosts I'll take you to the ghost hunters and Possessed people... 😆 don't mind but it will harm you friend...you have a small daughter...i hope you don't want any problem to your daughter and your wife and even urself... 😕...Be carefull

God Bless you ❤
everlong (1 stories) (26 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-08-20)
I liked your story a lot, but I have to say this. There isn't a ghost hunter around that is worth their salt that believes that pictures containing orbs is paranormal. 95% of the time it is dust, or rain, or snow, or bugs, or anything but the paranormal. There are cases of balls of energy but they are rare. Anyway, not criticizing you just hoping to educate you a little. Take Care.
Cherry (15 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2009-08-05)
When you knew it was haunted why did you take your 9th month baby there? It not fair to make a tiny little baby go through all this paranormal stuff. It could have been dangerous for her! Mean spirits don't even spare babies. Mind you! So please be careful next time and don't take your baby along. I feel bad for her!
sanjubhat (16 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-03)
Great story. Next time you want to stay there, please don't take your daughter along.
Not safe at all.
Thanks for sharing & looking forward to Part II of this story from you soon.
Annie (202 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-30)
Great story. Thanks for sharing. Had to chuckle at the end when you said you looked forward to staying there again with more equipment, and more courage. I know only too well that feeling of being lured to look. It's kind of like someone tapping you on the shoulder. What are you going to do? Look!
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-29)
I would have said residual for all of it except for the green light. If you know you were awake when this happened (and not just vivid dreaming) then chances are you encountered some kind of entity. Without physical proof it's just another personal experience and that's the reason for all the equipment ghost hunters use. It has to be documented. Sounds like this place is ripe for investigation. Good luck the next time you do and let us know what happens.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: