You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Footsteps In The Dark

Real Ghost Stories

Footsteps In The Dark

 

Our house was built by my parents on land owned by a rather rich family. The neighbours surrounding us have the same history as we do; they purchased the land from the family and built a house on it. No deaths are far as I know, I'm about 90% sure that no one has died on this land my house is situated on. Now that all of that has been cleared up, let's get on with the story.

My room was officially the 'creepy room'. I didn't want anything to do with it and for a 10-year-old to go sleep in her parents' room was ridiculous. So I came up with a solution, it was called 'Mom, can I sleep on the couch?' Now here's the catch, I dragged my mom downstairs with me. Our house has two levels with three bedrooms and two bathrooms upstairs, downstairs is the family room, living room, fourth bedroom, kitchen, laundry room, and third bathroom. The family room was where the couches were, a long leather couch, leather loveseat, and leather recliner. My mom reluctantly slept on the larger couch while I slept on the loveseat.

The nights weren't as dark and with windows all around it allowed moonlight to shine. My old dog at the time, an all-black German Shepherd, slept at the foot of the loveseat and I would constantly stick my arm out from under the blanket shield I had made and per her for comfort. I had to make sure that no part of my body was exposed and that even my hair was trapped under the blanket. Needless to say, it got unbearably hot. Sure the leather would be cool when I first lay down, but soon after I would be sweating.

I wouldn't get to sleep for a long time and would often sleep in awkward positions due to the fact that the blanket only had limited options. I heard the clock hanging up in the kitchen chime twice before I heard the footsteps. If memory serves me correct it would have been around 11:15 or 12:15 when this happened. My parents were painting the basement walls and had paint cans, brushes, and a large black tarp lay out across the basement floor.

I heard slow footsteps, as if the person were trying to be careful not to get their feet tangled up in the plastic. Whoever they were, they were very loud and it made me sweat worse. My fingers knotted themselves in my dog's fur as pure fear shot through me. My mom was the one, who did the actual painting while my dad supervised, but both of them were asleep and the basement door was locked. The footsteps echoed worse due to the fact the basement floor was pure concrete with nothing over it. I could hear the smack of each foot on the floor. This went on for easily an hour.

They would pause perhaps as the spirit admired the work (there were windows down there too, it was light up by moonlight so you could easily see your way) that my parents did. Perhaps it was looking for something; we have storage rooms down there filled with many things, work equipment, collectables, etc. But it scared me and I kept looking toward the steps that led down to the basement in fear it would come upstairs. I did not have my glasses on and couldn't see all-too-well. Having my vision impaired meant it was useless to try and see what was going on so I closed my eyes and listened.

Finally I told myself that this was enough and that if one more thing happened I was fleeing upstairs since my dog was no longer providing me with comfort. BANG, I shot up and clutched my blanket in terror. I went upstairs to my room after that and slept through the night without any other happenings.

In the morning I went down to the basement and saw indents in the tarp (since footsteps don't really show on such a surface) and on top of the tarp was a paint can that had tipped over. On the side of the paint can--which was thankfully closed tight--was an indent, as if someone hit it hard enough with a tool that it just caved in. Falling couldn't have done this as the dent was at such an angle.

This event greatly shook me up and I have never slept on the couch since. It was a bit long of a story; sorry I didn't shorten it down a bit, kudos to whoever read through it all. Any ideas on what it was? I have some thoughts, but I'm waiting to hear from all of you before I voice them. Thanks for reading!

-Hope

Other hauntings by Hopeful23

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Minnesota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Hopeful23, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

scared-all-my-life (13 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-16)
Interesting happening. What was the tool that dented the can, if you can thatd be great. I look forward to reading more of your ghost stories.

Hope to talk to you soon-scared 😁
Nasa97 (2 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-10-04)
About the same thing happen to me when I was kid,well I still I'm (11).Just that I never slep in the living room.Never do I want to sleep in the living room because it gets so dark.There is a big window but just being by the window make me panic.I also cover my head to make sure nothing of me is showing,I sleep with my glasse on,with a night light and a flashlight.But the house was new no one had owned it befor because my mom and dad sent to make it but. I only get a feeling like someone is watching me but I don't count that as a ghost encounter
Hopeful23 (12 stories) (93 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-09-03)
Thealoneone-

I will try your suggestion, not exactly sure what will happen, but will try it. Since this story I have heard bumps and noises coming from downstairs, like last night I heard wood slapping against the ground (we have wood moldings for the walls laying on the ground still in long pieces of wood). To be more specific the noise sounded like some picked up part of the wood, lifted it high enough and then released it so it slapped against the concrete floor. Perhaps the spirit is one interested in the construction?
Thealoneone (1 stories) (77 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-08-29)
I would guess that the spirit is searching for something, or someone. The footsteps stopping could be the ghost stopping to look around for 'it' It could also be an art lover, perhaps you could try something:: Set some art that your mother doesn't want and some objects, then wait for a week or so and see what happens to them, maybe you could put a picture of everyone in the family down the two.

Please reply,
The Alone One
4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-19)
Hopeful23,
Thanks for the reply! 😁 Can't wait to read more from you, Aloha - 4d
Hopeful23 (12 stories) (93 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-08-08)
Lilmejadie-

When my parents first had this idea of fixing up the basement they created a room for me downstairs, though they got to just making a closet, hooking up a fan, and that was about it. Luckily I didn't move down there or else I fear I might've experienced something like you did.

That's very frightening and I don't think you're coming up with reasons. If you're a very logical person you can assume that more than half of your experiences probably are true. If you still live in that room I suggest crosses, holy water, if you wish go out and buy the herb sage. If you didn't know this, sage actually wards off evil beings and burning it will help push them out of your house. If all else fails, call in the local priest and tell him what's going on. Ask him to bless the place, when he sees just how scared you are he won't doubt you.

Good luck with this room and thanks for your repsonse,
-Hope ❤
Hopeful23 (12 stories) (93 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-08)
4d-

Kudos are amazing 😜, also, a side not for the story, sorry I typed it when my keyboard was all crazy. For those random errors, please ignore them. The color didn't seem too wild, a light brown color, but then again maybe it lives down in the basement and didn't like its space invaded. You see, even though no one has died in this house, things seems to happen and I'm not entirely sure why they do. Thanks for your reply, more great stories about this weird house coming up soon 😁.

-Hope
lilmejadie (2 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-08-07)
that was scary, I would of done the same, listen to my story now aha.

Recently I moved my bedroom downstairs which is nice, I have lived in my house for about 9 years roughly and in the room I'm in which was originally our study (now my bedroom) I used to see black figures from the corner of my eye in the room. It being my bedroom now and sleeping init creeps me out abit. The head of my bed is a cold spot and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I sometimes hear low murmers coming from outside my door which is always closed. My door handle is very stiff, I'm not joking around, but last night it was like someone was trying to open my door but they couldn't if you know what I mean, I could hear it too, I thought I was imaigning it but my cat shot up and looked at the door also.
My tv is strange too, it used to be in the conservatory and it worked fine but since its come into my room the screen has stopped working. My wardrobe is pretty normal about from the odd scratching sound I somethimes hear. I know we don't have mice because we never have, we also have 4 cats which would get rid of the thought of mice or anything. The worst thing that has proberly happened in my room is debatable, the first is my curtain, one night I closed them and later I looked at it and a part of it stuck out as if a small child was behind it, I took a picture and showed my friends and they agreed it looked odd, its tonight and I'm too scared to look behind haha. The second time was when my friend was round, my dad put up a huge mirror on one side of my wall, oposite it is my sofa in my room, me and my friend were sitting on the sofa and we both saw something white flash across the mirror, its scary.
I don't know if I'm imaginging all of this and its all in my head, maybe I'm getting paranoid and I'm trying to come up with reasons to support my theory my room is haunted. I'm not joking in any of this story. I'm very concerned 😢
4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-08-07)
Hopeful23,
Thanks for the kudos! 😆 Great story by the way, very interesting. The part that got to me was the indented paint can. Maybe the visitor down in the basement didn't care for the color that was chosen for that room. Maybe it took out its aggression on that can of paint. Was the paint in the can a different color as the one on the wall? Maybe it wanted to help too. Anyway, thanks for the story, Aloha - 4d ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: