You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: An Ancient Protector

Real Ghost Stories

An Ancient Protector

 

I went to an art museum on the island of O'ahu for study one day. I was there with a group of other students in my class at around 8:00am, awaiting the docent to take us on a tour. The morning was cool and the air was filled with excitement. My classmates were grinning in anticipation to see different forms of art.

We passed through several different galleries admiring the detail and fine handcraft of the artists. When we arrived at the old islander gallery I was amazed at the similarities and differences of my culture and those of the southern Pacific. It wasn't until we reached the back area of the islander gallery when I started to feel a little nauseous.

The air condition didn't help the ill feeling that washed over me. We slowly moved further to the back and I started feeling light headed. We approached a glass case filled with ancient artefacts, but I was pulled toward a figure standing off to the left. I looked at the piece and began feeling a pulse or magnetic push coming from the old work. It was like standing in hip deep surf, wave after wave pushing you to the shore.

It was an odd piece, no offence to this particular culture. It was a crude human figure very simple in its design. The body and limbs were carved simply from a single piece of wood. The arms looked like broom handles and torso looked like a marionette. The head, however, was the most detailed part of the form. Proportionately, the head was smaller than the wooden frame and appeared to be moulded of some kind of clay. The eyes were shells, which made the figure seem like it were surveying.

The pressure in my ears grew and the waves got stronger. The tour guides voice slowly muffled and quieted. Pulse after pulse I stood there rocking back and forth. The tour guide saw me staring at the artefact and stood next to me. "Interesting piece, huh?" she said. I looked at her and asked her about its origins.

She started by saying the piece had come from a tribe that lived in Papua New Guinea. She called it an ancestral protector. The people that carved the image believed that it protected the family from harm or bad harvests. If, by chance, the family lived in difficulties and sorrow the statue was taken from their home, broken and burnt, then cast away. I thought to myself at that moment "This must have been a really good protector if it still exists today."

The guide shared "The body is a very simple carving, yeah." She then smiled at me and whispered. "Do you know how they made the head?" I replied no. She then said "The head is removed from an elder that has passed in their family and placed upon this stake, then covered with shells over the eyes to make it look alive." She continued, "If you ask me it's still alive today!" I didn't disagree.

We made our way out of the gallery and as soon as I stepped toward the exit I started feeling normal again. By the time we got down stairs I felt great, rejuvenated! We proceeded to take a break after all we had absorbed within those few hours. I sat in the sun talking to a colleague about the arts and in the back of my mind I was still thinking about the carving.

I told my self there was no way I was feeling a presence coming from that mould, but I was doubtful. Before we were done for the day I snuck back into the islander gallery to take one last look at it. Low and behold the feeling came back. As I neared the protector the pulses emanated once more. I stood directly in front of it and stared into its eyes and said eight words to it.

"I feel your manna, and you are strong." As I said these words the air became clear, the pushing against my body ceased, and my head was no longer foggy. An eerie stillness then followed, like life had become dormant in the statue. I nodded at it and sent a thought "I am not an enemy, I am not here to cause harm." I then proceeded to catch up with my troop.

At the end of the day I left the museum knowing a little more than my fellow artisans. I have a deeper respect in the traditions and beliefs of other cultures. The strength of an inanimate object or person who passed away is still in existence today, even after hundreds of years have gone by.

I don't fully understand the power of protection after death, but I know that it is still alive today... No pun intended.

Other hauntings by 4d

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Hawaii

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, 4d, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TigerLily (3 stories) (145 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-22)
Hello again and thanks for keeping us updated. 😁

It's a shame you can't take photos. It would have been interesting to see if anything else turned out in them too. 😒 Let us know what you find out though.

God Bless ❀
4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-17)
Just an update. I was planning on traveling back to the art museum. I called and asked them about taking photos. Unfortunately they do not allow people to take pictures in their galleries. 😒 I'll still look for more info on the item though. 😊 Thanks for reading. Aloha - 4d
4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-20)
hestiak,
I will report anything new about this figure I may find. 😁 Have you ever encountered any cursed or powerful artifacts in person? Thanks for posting, Aloha - 4d
hestiak (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-20)
wow that's an amazing story. I have always felt a connection with historecal artifacts that were special to to people. Not always that big. If you back I would like to know what happens, if you don't mind.
4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-18)
TigerLily,
I will definitely be adding information about the object when I find some or visit again, but not in the immediate future 😒 I will try though! Yes, my wife and I had chosen a name for our daughter a month after we conceived. The funny thing is we couldn't think or agree on any male names, so it was like it was destined to be a girl. πŸ˜‰ Thanks again and Aloha - 4d ❀
TigerLily (3 stories) (145 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-17)
Whenever you get around to revisiting your figure friend, let us know if anything similar happens. Seeing as you were the only affected one, maybe you do have special gift like Joojoodolly mentioned.
Let me know if you find out the name of the artefact aswell. 😊
Off subject but: Have you thought of any names for your baby? 😁

God Bless.
4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-17)
Phoenix77,
I meant to write in "accept me" not "except me" My bad πŸ˜† Aloha - 4d
4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-17)
book_luver123,
I call it my "Twofer"! πŸ˜†

TigerLily,
I don't remember what the item was called, I should go back one day to find out, but money is tight and so is time lately. As I was there no one else seemed affected or even spoke about any feelings they may have had. I guess it was just me from that group?

Emerald1309,
Baby's doing great, thanks! She's due in October so we're pretty excited. Thanks for the comments!

Joojoodolly,
That's true, I tried talking to some of my colleagues, but bringing up paranormal occurrences needs a little tact when talking to a certain crowd- 😜 Anyways, thanks for posting!

Hopeful23,
It wasn't that I felt inactive, but intrigued. I felt these waves or forces against me and it piqued my interest. When I feel strange in a place I try to look around to see what may be the reasons I am feeling that way. I will see if I can find a picture online of the same type, if not I will see if I can make it back there and ask permission to take a photo of it and post it. Thanks for your words.

Phoenix77,
This is news to me, I've never heard of Soul Touch before! It is possible my ancestors may have been around those areas, but it seemed to be trying to protect itself rather than except me. I just respected it. 😊

Thank you all for your patience in my returning of comments. I have been quite busy lately and getting back to the board has been rough. I also want to say that in the third to the last paragraph it wasn't "Manna" I felt, it was "MANA" one "N". The editor must have changed it to something they were familiar with.

Note: Mana is a word for inner strength or spiritual strength in the Hawaiian language.
Phoenix77 (3 stories) (38 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-17)
Have you every heard of a "Soul touch"? It is where two or more souls have come in contact in another life and meant so much to each other that they kept "touching" no matter how many times they were reborn. You might have had a touch with this soul that remained with that statue, to protect his family. It's an idea and it explains why you were the only one affected.
Hopeful23 (12 stories) (93 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-16)
It seems that this artefact had a spirit attatched to it that was a little protective. Glad you were able to let it know that you weren't there to harm it. What makes me curious is the fact that you said you felt inactive sort of like the statue. Why would that happen to you then but not before? Do you have a link to the piece you talked about in the story? I would love to see such a thing and maybe read up about the history of it.

Thanks for sharing 4d!
-Hope
Joojoodolly (1 stories) (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-16)
That is creepy! I wonder how they kept the head in good condition? You never know, if you were the only one that got affected by it, you could have a special gift! Best wishes
Emerald1309 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-16)
hows your baby doin 4d?
And another thing great stories. I have to go meet my mom now bye!
TigerLily (3 stories) (145 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-15)
Wow, that's different.
It's quite creepy to think that the head was an actual person.
Did anybody else seem affected by the artefact? If not, how come you were the only one? Did you find out what the figure was called?

God Bless.
book_luver123 (227 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-15)
Well that's something I Didn't know. πŸ˜† Its good that you came out learning about art and ghosts. ❀

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: