You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Odd Occurrences At The Old Victorian

Real Ghost Stories

Odd Occurrences At The Old Victorian

 

About five years ago my family and I moved into a 179 year old victorian house. When we got there the house was a huge wreck because nobody had lived there for 10 years. The previous owners were librarians that used to foster ungodly amounts of animals including dogs cats and birds and because of this every single door in the house has scratch marks all the way up to the top of the door frames. But we needed the house because it was the only one we could get with 64 acres of land to hold all of our horses.

About a year after moving in we started noticing a few things that weren't exactly normal. We all thought we were being watched almost all the time and we almost never went into the attic because of the flies. In september there would be thousands of flies that would cluster around a few of the windows (it looked like a scene out of the Amityville Horror), but it just started getting creepier.

We eventually hired a maid Gorgie (fake name) to clean our house. On her first day she was cleaning my step dad's office when she stopped to tell my mom that she felt a powerful energy in that area. She told my mom but she didn't really think that much about it, but at this point we didn't know that much about the history of the house. But then the footsteps started.

One afternoon, I was at school and my mom was home alone doing the dishes. She had the radio on very quietly and our cat was sitting right next to her. THUMP THUMP THUMP! Was coming down the stairs to the right of her. My mom grabbed her purse and cell phone and ran outside to call the police. The police came and found nobody in the house.

3 or 4 years ago I was home babysitting my little brother. Now my mom didn't tell me anything about what had happened on the stairs that day so I had no idea what was coming It was about 10:30 and I was watching some stupid show when our new dog started growling. She was just growling and then THUMP THUMP THUMP! Came from the stairs. My little brother was in the bathroom so he couldn't hear it but I went in the bathroom grabbed him and ran outside to our neighbors house. I have always had an interest in the supernatural and always will but that scared me especially because I thought is was a person that broke into our house. So our neighbors kindly came over to my house to look around and they didn't find anyone of course.

The footsteps stopped for 2 years after that but we found something out about the history of our house. One day in the winter a pipe burst in our back kitchen so we called a plumber to come fix it. He came over and told us he used to know the people that used to live here before the librarians lived in the house. They were two brothers. One day while they were working out in the fields one of the brothers said he was too cold and went inside. About an hour later the other brother came back inside and found his other brother frozen to death on the floor at the front of the back kitchen where our maid said she felt some kind of energy. And the very next day our maid came back and while she was cleaning my room she said she felt that energy again right in my doorway (which is about right above where the brother died).

Last year a few of our cabinet doors in our kitchen fell off because of how old the hinges were so we called a friend who could fix them. When he came over he said he thought the house was amazing and wanted a tour. When my mom brought him over to the basement door (right below the staircase where we hear the footsteps) he stopped and said he didn't want to go anywhere near that place.

Well the year passed without anything happening except for finding little gnats flying around the hinges of the door where the brother died and nowhere else at all in the house. But earlier this year the footsteps started again. My mom, little brother, and I just came back from a horse show in Pennsylvania. We got out of the car and before we went into the house we decided to tend to all of the animals on the farm first. When we finished we started bringing our bags inside. I went in first and noticed that none of our cats came down to greet us like usual when we leave. I went back outside to get more bags from our car. When we got all of the bags inside of the house we sat at the table in the kitchen. I was about to get up to do something when my mom said shush! THUMP THUMP THUMP! We ran out of the house and called the police again. When they came they did a search of the house but found no one there and none of our stuff was missing.

We started to realize there was something in the house but we weren't exactly sure what it was. But the footsteps continued. 2 months ago I was baby sitting my little brother again when THUMP THUMP THUMP! Came down the stairs I knew there was nobody in the house but then I saw the side door was open leading strait to the back stairs where a thief could get in almost completely unnoticed. I once again grabbed my little brother and ran to my neighbors house when they once again searched my house and found nothing and they once again went home and left me to be disbelieved by my step dad but slightly believed by my mom. So that is the story of my house so far. I would just like some answers like is this some kind of mass hysteria in my family or is something really happening.

Other hauntings by caspertheghost

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, caspertheghost, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

white_man (1 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-02-15)
Wow your story is great I really love it when did this start I mean what day did this start:o
senritsu (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-25)
personally I think if you keep renovating, the thunk noises should go away, otherwise, you guys are going to have to learn to live with eachother. And remember, unwanted touching is unwanted touching, just tell whoever is tapping you or your family to cut it out. And be firm about it. You are stronger than he is
good-job (1 posts)
-3
14 years ago (2009-11-24)
well well well good job, very good. This was just like a comic I read in the good old days when I was a young kid like you. How I miss thos days. Now if I can remember when I was at my old trailor we didn't have much foot steeps and ghosts but we did have lots of chikens their. By the way good luck on your homework honey!
miri_chan (6 stories) (69 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-31)
I'm not sure of how true what the plumber told you is. If the brother was outside and went inside because he was cold, wouldn't it have been colder outside? How would he freeze to death inside, if the other brother was outside working that whole time?
And what became of the other brother?

Another thing about the gnats and flies around that spot where the brother died,
Maybe his body could be under the floorboards? 😨
book_luver123 (227 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-31)
Yeah that's what I mean, if it is used by the proper people it can work. One of my friends used one and with the proper precautions it got rid of her ghost problem. ❤
vinaykumar (4 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2009-08-30)
When you hear again footsteps, keep the gods idiol next to you and ask him to go away from the house.
jerryhend1 (3 stories) (136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-30)
I understand that's its only a suggestion and I also understand in the correct hands it's a tool to be used, correct hands are NOT kids, teens or young adults, or even most adults it's a very, very hard, stange, frighting thing to use, carful of what doors you open, some cannot be shut... 😨
book_luver123 (227 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2009-08-29)
How about finding out exactly when the house was built and look up all the deaths that occurred in your area from that point on. If it is too hard to find the exact story.

And I know that an ouija board is a risky choice but I suggest one with the proper precautions it could work out okay. So if you would like to use one ask all of us here for directions. Oh and all you who are probably angry at me for this suggestion it is only a suggestion, so please don't kill me. ❤
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-29)
You have gotten great advice from what I read so the only other advice I would give is stop feeding into the fear. I think most of your events are just natural ones. I'm just curious as to why you always think someone is breaking in? Is this land close to a high crime area?
caspertheghost (3 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-28)
i would also like to say that my family and I have looked at the city files and we haven't found a scrap of information on the house.
mystia (17 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-28)
where the thump thump thump noise is on
The stairs, I would check to see if there
Is pipes and plumbing running under the stairs in the area where vibration could cause the noise from time to time.
I would tell a plumber the situation and have the area checked if just to verify
Its a pipe noise problem and not something else.
How disappointing that just two brothers lived in that big beautiful home. Since its almost 180 years old, I would assume that large Families with children have lived there over the years. Very interesting.
I think it would be adventurous and Fun
To live in a house like that with so much History.
I would also fumigate the flies myself
With insect/bug killer stuff from walmart
Or get an exterminator to do it.
aquarose167 (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-28)
i think there is definitely something going on in this house, I do not believe you are imagining these incidents. Perhaps you could go to your local or county library to learn the circumstances regarding the brother who passed away in the home, and obtain microfilm of his obituary or location of grave stone if available. This male energy may not realize he's dead and may be attempting to protect the house, as it was vacant for some time. The flies part kind of concerns me, I would take action and contact some paranormal research groups and specifically ask if they can connect you with someone who is trained in this phonomena. Also, your pets behavior is also indicative of some sort of spirit activity, as pets are highly sensitive to this type of phenomena.
Perhaps consider having your house blessed & contacting your local paranormal research group, or even Paranormal State's Ryan Buell.
Envision a beautiful white light of protection surrounding you each time you enter the house. If you would like me to email you a prayer of protection, I'd be happy to do so.
Take care,
Aquarose167
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
-2
15 years ago (2009-08-27)
Sound like the brother don't know he is dead even thought he think he still alive to wardon in the house.
bumblebee55 (1 stories) (40 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-27)
caspertheghost -
The same thing happens at my grandmas house! Sometimes either me, my older sister, or my cousins hear footsteps coming down the stair, though no one really likes to go upstairs. So you're not alone. 😉
lazria (9 stories) (82 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-27)
first - booklover, you can freeze to death. Hypothermia sets in, so you stop shivering, start getting "warm" feeling and sleepy. Then you pass out and as your core temp continues to drop, your body functions shut down and finally stop.

Second - I would agree with -_Syeetaque_- to check on the dates that you heard the footsteps. It could be that you are dealing with more of a residue haunting than an intelligent spirit. It could be something - anything - that may trigger the event again, including time of day, weather, date, etc. If someone died a voilent or emotional death - it could possibly imprint the emotional engery there instead of an acutal spirit. If it continues to occur, write down everything you can about what was going on right before, during and after the event.

And lastly, if you are getting "masses" of flies, first check if there is any standing water around or "cracks" where they can come in. During colder weather, all sorts of bugs will find way inside to keep out of the cold. Failing this, I would take caution in the areas where these bug occur. It could be that the story you were told is only half of the truth or something else is happening.

Take care.
-_Syeetaque_- (5 stories) (109 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-27)
hey there...
I noticed that the footsteps only occur once in a while...
Why don't you mark the dates when the footsteps occur...
Who knows you might find a pattern, or something relative to what happened on the previous dates?
And I agree with book_luver123... You can try saying 'please stop' because based on what I've read, these stuffs may stop if you ask it to... GOOD LUCK! 😊
BadxGood24 (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-27)
that is so interesting about your house. You should do more research about it and see what you can find. Let us know! I love old houses! 😆
book_luver123 (227 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-27)
I would have been terrified. 😨 Perhaps next time if you said to it 'please stop', it might work. Also how can you freeze to death? ❤
yanna_coolet08 (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-27)
i don't think you should go to your neighbor's house because... If they are not harming you... There is no reason to be afraid ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: