You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Dark Shadow

Real Ghost Stories

The Dark Shadow

 

Throughout my life, I have frequently seen a dark shadow creep slowly up my wall and across my ceiling coming towards me. When I was younger I would just hide beneath my covers and hope it would go away or that it was just my imagination. However the reason that leads me to believe the shadow is a real manifestation of something evil is because when I was about 15, I had a budgerigar in a cage in my room and one night I saw the shadow come over the wall and ceiling towards me and spread out when it reached me I blanked out and dreamt quite lucidly of my budgie being let free. Bear in mind that my room door was kept shut at night, as were my windows. Downstairs was also alarmed and there would be no way of me sleepwalking downstairs without triggering the alarm and waking the household. Well the morning after seeing the shadow and having the dream my budgie was missing. We searched the entire house and never found it, not even its remains. To this day my parents swear blind they did nothing to the budgie and it is as much a mystery to them as it is to me.

2 years later when I was living in working with horses I had the same thing happen again, I saw the shadow creep over me and spread out across the whole room. I had the same feeling of fear and tightness of chest as I'd had the previous times and finally as it reached me I passed out and again I had a lucid dream of the horses being taken. The next day I woke to find that 2 horses had gone missing and again neither were ever found and assumed to have been stolen by horse thieves.

Once again years passed before I saw the shadow again, this time it was 7 years later, and I'd just had my second child when I was laying in bed one night with my eldest child laying next to me in the bed and the baby in the cot next to the bed. Again I got the terrible feeling and saw the shadow coming closer, this time I knew it was coming for my daughter and I leapt out of bed towards the light switch whilst screaming at the top of my voice "you're not having her, I won't let you take her". I managed to leap from the bed to the other side of the room in one leap and click the light switch. The shadow disappeared and I've not seen it again since.

Sometimes I think that I made the shadow leave me alone because I finally stood up to it rather than letting my fear win. Other times I wonder if it was just my imagination combined with strange coincidences. However the feeling I had, knowing it was there even before I saw it, feeling the malevolence oozing from it deep in my bones, I don't believe I could possibly have imagined, nor do I believe that if it had been some childhood over active imagination that it would have continued to follow me around into adulthood and in different houses.

I'm a little worried about publishing this story as I've never seen any similar experience and so worry that I will just be laughed at and disbelieved. What I really would like is to know that others have been through something similar or someone that can tell me what this was.

Also I wanted to mention that my fiancé has epilepsy, we've been together for three years and from day one when we met he used to have frequent seizures that have now died down, but before each seizure, perhaps about 30 seconds before I get the same tight chested feeling and always know when he's about to have a seizure. Although this is unrelated to the shadow itself I wanted to mention it simply because the feeling of the air around me as if suddenly closing in on me, the tight chested feeling, thin air is almost exactly the same as the feeling as when the shadow used to appear to me.

I've had other spiritual and ghostly encounters but nothing that lasted as long as this one. I will publish the other stories shortly.

Other hauntings by SweetDeanie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SweetDeanie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

monoxide (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-06)
WOW, nice one for getting rid of it!
Sounds weird
I must say though (not wanting to get into a religious debate or anything)
Religion seems to me to open up a whole new spiritual can of worms,
The best thing to do (if it comes back)
Would be to use your fear and turn it to anger, it makes you stronger as you saw when protecting your daughter,
What right does anything have to inflict pain and fear on your family?
Remember you are in control even if you don't believe it yourself
And there's always help if you need it =]
SweetDeanie (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-06)
I was raised Jehovah's witness which has kind of put me off religion in general - I do study wicca and read about buddhism, both of which interest me greatly but I'm too lazy to actually practice. I don't see either of these as religions though, more as philosophies on how to live life as their are no rules about who to worship or even that you have to worship anyone at all. You can be an atheist and still practice wicca and buddhism. Both seem to fit in with my belief of treating others with kindness and respect as well as the earth and the universe with love, kindness and respect.
pandora0791 (2 stories) (38 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-06)
SweetDeanie: I'm happy to hear you are feeling better about this:)

You say you are of no religion, maybe now is a good time to find one that suits you? This could be a tool for future problems; problems having to do with such things as this an others. Maybe you could ask around about churches that family/friends/acquaintances/co-workers attend, try several to find one that best fits your needs. Just a suggestion. This might help you feel better when your feeling down (so-to-speak). People go to church for several reasons, you never know, you may find someone who is experiencing what you have in the past?

I myself go to church but it's not for everyone, if you find church is not a good fit there are many people here (YGS) who could better direct you where to turn.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted.
God bless,
B~
SweetDeanie (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-04)
Thankyou for the advice, don't know why writing about this freaked me out so much, feel a bit embarassed now, yes I get scared when I get that bad feeling or when I think about what happened, but for the most part I tend not to think about it as much as possible, but I guess writing about it put it all back to the forefront of my mind and freaked me out again.

I really do appreciate the advice pandora and hoochler, you both make a lot of sense.

I think if it were to return I'd prefer to get someone else to deal with it rather than have to go there again myself, unless of course one of my children were threatened.

I guess in a way it's much the same for any situation in life, avoid confrontation unless you absolutely have no choice.

I'm not sure who I'd go to for that kind of help, not being of any religious denomination, but if I was desperate I don't suppose that would matter.

I have found what you've said to be reassuring, having 2 people tell me that this thing seems to be gone and I think looking at it rationally and in a better frame of mind, I can see this is most likely the case and that it's my own paranoia because of remembering that fear again that puts doubt into my mind.

Not to say I don't think other entities are around me, that give me the heebie jeebie feeling, but that clearly don't mean harm to me as they keep distance and don't communicate or do anything to me. Of course these still instil some fear in me, but only because of what happened with this other entity in the past.

I guess it's like that saying about not tarring everyone with the same brush! Just for entities instead of people. So thankyou for your advice, but more for your reassurance.
pandora0791 (2 stories) (38 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-04)
SweetDeanie: You have a good point, but I reiterate, if you have that uncomfortable feeling and know (without a doubt) that it is this "thing", my suggestion remains... Reclaim your home. The alternative might be to live with it... For who knows how long, and my guess is you don't want that either. BUT (lol, always a "but" huh?) Hoochler also makes a good point. Why stir something that has already been settled? In my opinion, from what you say, "it" IS gone. You would not allow it to take what it wanted and it moved on. (And your fear of making it mad by speaking to it has already been proven otherwise... You did talk to it... And it left). For now I would live life as usual and enjoy your family. If and when you get that feeling, ask yourself, "is this my imagination?". Try to reflect on what happened up to that point; analyze the situation. You may realize that what you are feeling is due to something else rather than "you know what"?

Another suggestion, if it does return, maybe you could talk to someone (professional in church/paranormal field) about coming in your home and helping you, someone you trust won't make things worse.

Good luck and God bless

B~
Hoochler (1 stories) (263 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-03)
I encourage you to invoke the engineer's first rule and not try to fix something that isn't broken.

If the thing comes back on its own, Pandora's advice is sound. The thing seems to now be gone now though, why start poking a bees nest you do not understand by trying to initiate a new line of communication with it?

In my opinion, heeding Pandora's advice now runs the risk of opening a box bearing her name in the process.
SweetDeanie (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-03)
Pandora what you say DOES make sense, but what if by awknowledging this thing as being real, by talking to it - even if telling it to leave or whatnot, that I will just be giving it more power? The thing is, that if I tell it to leave as if I have some kind of power or control over it, would this not anger it too maybe? Especially if I'm filled with fear of it and can't really tell it to leave with some kind of authority.
pandora0791 (2 stories) (38 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-03)
SweetDeanie: A wimp? No way, you stood up to this great black mass, and have not seen it since. Find comfort in that and walk through your home, when you get that uncomfortable feeling, saying aloud, I'm in control of this home, you are not welcome, leave or I will make you leave and forever this time. Try to take control and let it hear you (regardless if you believe it yourself, in time I think you will). When our children are threatened, others beware!

Good luck & God bless
B~
SweetDeanie (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-01)
Trying to rationalise the disapearance of the animals, I questioned myself as to whether I ate my budgie in my sleep or something, but obviously by the time the horses went missing that idea was ruled out of my head.

No one has ever suggested that I did anything to the animals even subconciously.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-01)
It must be a hard to be sensitive. Most of us would scoff at this story and look for a natural cause. But then so do you which makes this story all the more plausible. Pets may vanish but when kids do the police get involved. Hence your child was not taken and not sure if your child could have been taken by unseen forces. Most of the time if a child is missing there is a reason and it's not supernatural.
book_luver123 (227 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-01)
I suggest that you have house blessed or you move, if you can. This shadow seems determined to hurt you emotionally. Has anyone noticed that the animals seem to get bigger and on the last one wants to take one of the most important things in your life. ❤
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-31)
SweetDeanie--A very particularized psychic phenomenon.
I don't think it was your imagination. The huge time intervals make that unlikely, as is any notion of you even unconsciously causing the complete disappearance of your budgie and the horses (and I hope no one had the temerity to even suggest it).

I agree that standing up to it had fierce power and force because you were protecting your daughter.
You sensed the shadow wanted you yet couln't take you (Did a good spirit guardian send it scurrying the first 2 times?)
I'm a deep believer in intuiton, so I won't exactly gainsay your interpretation, but there's no actual proof that the shadow sucked up the animals into the worm hole of dimension. Post hoc is not always propter hoc. Which is the logician's way of saying "just because an event happened after another event, doesn't mean the first event CAUSED the second."

I surmise you now live in a different house than when you were a child, so I can see why you're nervy about the corner-of-the-eye things and so on. And yet, you are able to be a little prepared for your lover in his need, so your sensitivity does have beneficial uses.

Many people think fear is irrational but of course it isn't; it's a warning to change conditions. Perhaps you might seek to link up with other "sensitives" and see how you might put your talents to a broader beneficial use. That way you wouldn't be stuck in the situation of "just leave me alone." Like your successful confrontation, you'll be the one calling the shots.
To hear combat heroes speak about it, courage is most like fear being conquered, step by step. God bless. ~ James
SweetDeanie (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-31)
Hoochler that story did give me the creeps but she was awake, and the shadows had form whereas mine was just a huge mass that got bigger and bigger. Also I never saw any kind of portal or hole and I had many encounters with this thing where I did not pass out, it was only the two ocassions that animals were taken that I actually passed out (before they were taken)

Also the dreams were very vivid but they didn't feel like bad dreams or any different to a normal dream, same colours, same feelings etc... Nothing that stood out in the actual dream itself.

Had animals not vanished in real life I would still to this day believe the shadow was my imagination regardless of the feelings and fear it instilled in me.

I hate believing in spirits and things, they really do scare me - even if they shouldn't. I try to rationalise everything that has happened in my life and I've tried to shake the bad feelings of being watched, waited for or followed that I often get.

Yes I'm a wimp, if I feel as though I sense something to my right (that doesn't feel 'normal') I refuse to look over there. I often will leave a room because I get a feeling of things just not being right.

I don't want to face these things, I don't want to see them or communicate with them. I just want to be left alone. Like I said I used to try to hide from this shadow, even though I could never hide from the terrible feelings that came with it, and had it not been the instinctive protectiveness of a mother that I felt I would most likely have hidden on the last occasion too.
SweetDeanie (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-31)
It's funny because I was fine writing this story but now reading back on it I'm brought to tears. It makes me feel sick at the thought of this thing that I know was following me for so long. I didn't really want to say this because even I think I'm crazy for thinking it, but I always felt it wanted me, to take me, I can't say where but I know it wanted me.

I feel sometimes that it has gone for good because of my last experience with it and because I stood up to it, but it's hard to really believe that it's over now and I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop and for it to come back to finish the job.

Of course a part of me tells me it had long enough to take me had it wanted me, and maybe it can't or couldn't take me and I know I'm stronger now than I was now so even more reason that it can't really take me.

I guess sometimes I'm scared it will be waiting for me when I die of whatever natural cause in the future, or I fear that it will come back for my children when I'm no longer here to protect them.

I know fear is said to make any bad entity stronger but I really can't help that fear.
13Ghost (1 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-08-31)
using a ouija board makes any paronormal activity worst! 😠 You shouldnt use one
Hoochler (1 stories) (263 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-31)
As I was reading this story, the part about the missing animals struck me as familiar.

I remember reading the very long, 6 part (very detailed) story of someone with the handle "Warrior Priestess" from a different ghost related web site that mentioned something similar, but from a waking perspective (not at night while you dream). In other words, she saw and described a lot of the things that happened when the demon came instead of being made to dream about them.

I went to look for the original post I first read on the other site to share with you, but for whatever reason all six parts of this story have been removed. I did a search on the internet though and found a re-print of the story on a different site.

This story was not written with the best English skills, but I found it a fascinating read nonetheless. I still do not know what to make of this story.

Http://www.drawingnow.com/blog/id_3303-brane-the-demon-in-my-head.html

If you are looking for stories similar to yours, I suggest you read the story above and pay particular attention to what happened in the shed with the funnel shaped hole that went to who knows where. If the author of the Brane story would have jumped into the hole as the demons encouraged her to, perhaps that would have been the same thing that may have been forced onto your animals? Who knows.

I have no first hand experience with anything like this, but I find any mention of dimensional holes to be utterly fascinating.

Anyway, for some reason, the idea of your animals being made to disappear by an evil spirit made me think about the strange funnel shaped hole in that Brane story. I don't even know what I believe or disbelieve about the Brane story (it is so bizarre), but there was that thread of familiarity between these two stories that I thought you would at least like to see for yourself.
SweetDeanie (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-31)
Also I have never been very observant of objects and their positions although I am empathic so observant of people and emotions. So I wanted to add that I can't say the shadow never made other things vanish or move because I just never noticed. It's a bit hard not to notice missing animals though!
SweetDeanie (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-31)
I did a oujia board once when I was a teenager but this shadow has been around much longer before I did that so it didn't call the shadow. Had bad experience with the oujia board and would never do it again though.
lazria (9 stories) (82 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-08-31)
Interesting experience. I can't help you with whether or not you truly experiences this shadow thing, but I offer a suggestion.

Perhaps your one of those people who are more "open", like your 3rd eye is cracked open. Perhaps you did sense something coming to steal away your pets and perhaps daughter, that's why you got those feeling and saw the shadow. Perhaps this may also help understand why you can predtic your husband's seizures.

If you haven't seen the shadow in a while, then perhaps whatever it was has done what it was there to do - either steal things away or maybe help "open" you up.

Good luck and take care.
Jackanorykillswitch (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-31)
scary have you ever done a ouija board of any kind? I was at my mates house and there was a huge shadow outiside his front door of a person like really tall just staring in and knocking.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: