You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Old Woman Who Sits On The Stairs At Night

Real Ghost Stories

Old Woman Who Sits On The Stairs At Night

 

I first saw this ghost when I was 5 years old in my auntie's house and my mothers growing up place. This ghost is known to my family as the ghost of the toilet, I know, cheesy but I'm calling her woman in black.

Well one night I needed the toilet so I went, as you do and I heard the stairs creaking outside so I got up (off the toilet, lol) and went to see what it was, when I looked outside and saw an old woman in black sitting on the stairs outside the toilet looking up at me and smiling. She was very old but you could tell she was kind; she wore this long black dress, which looked Victorian, and black lace gloves, which she held a white peace lily. She had grey hair tied up in a bun and a small black hat on her crown. It looked like she was at a funeral.

At the time I thought it was normal that a woman was on the stairs every time I went toilet, I also thought as I was growing up that it was my imagination but 1 year ago when I was watching most haunted with my mum I asked her if she saw the woman on the stairs and my mum said that she saw her many times, my mums description and mine were exactly the same. My mum said that she only appears at night.

I looked at the census in the library to see who lived at the house many years ago and one said that a woman called Jacqueline Croakter used to live at the house with her husband, her husband died in the house and after his funeral she committed suicide on the stairs. I don't know it this was her but its kind of freaky that someone died in the house.

Ever since, I have believed in ghosts, the one I saw over and over again as a child was very kind but you never know what lurks out there

Please write comments.

Other hauntings by chesski

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, chesski, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Nephele (3 stories) (101 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-30)
This is very interesting, I'm glad you took the time to share it with us and get information.
chesski (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-02)
well, when I stay over and I go to the toilet in the middle of the night I sometimes see her in the exact same place smiling. When you think about it it is kind of creepy but you feel safe at the time. Nothing weird has happened just the warm feeling you get when you see her 😁
racer123246 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-01)
Do you still see her? Did anything else happen that's weird? Do you want her at the house still?
chesski (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-01)
lol, she was very nice when you see her you know that she dosn't mean any harm =]. Hiya shakz
blah (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-01)
thats kind of creepy lol. But I guess its ok because she was a nice spirit. (btw its shakz lol) 😆
chesski (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-01)
well she seemed at peace and she meant no harm. The thing is about ghosts that suprises me is that they aren't see through, they look human, I just thought I should add that. LOL 😆
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-01)
Doesn't sound like a suicide spirit to me. They are usually confused and angry or very sad and unable to find peace. Seems like this spirit was fine where she was. No harm intended.
book_luver123 (227 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-01)
Perhaps that you could, next time you see her you could ask if that is really her name and have a conversation with her. ❤
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-31)
First of all, I must say that your critical thinking skills are of the first order. Rather than just assuming that your aunt's house is haunted, you looked up old records and found what appears to be a match.

Now that you have a name, you can see what else you can discover about these people.

You said she appeared to be kind; obviously she isn't out to scare anyone. Perhaps she was happy in the house and is content to simply recall the good times, perhaps when her children were growing up or her early married days.

In any case, she, at least, seems to be nothing anyone should fear.
Jginkx94 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-31)
i think that may be her btu atleast she is comforting I think you should find some way to make her feel better. Maybe bring e=her some flowers on all samhains and maybe if you could find a picture of her husband or his tombstone. That would be lovely.
Miss_Cannabis (20 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-31)
This is a pretty spooky story. I used to see an old woman like that around my uncle's house but she didn't look kind like the one in your story 😭 lol. Atleast you've done a bit of research and found out alittle history on who she was.
chesski (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-31)
well next week I am going to library for a report I have to do so I will look in the archives, you never know what you find there and yes my auntie still lives there. There are other ghosts in the house which I will publish, my mum has seen them all but I have only seen 2 others, my mum has this gift, I know it sounds kind of yeah right but she has seen stuff that freaks me right out! It really quite facinating. =]
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-31)
I echo hobbyholly's comment there. Too many people just jump on the...
Anywho.
I have a suggestion for you. If you can recall what the woman's facial features were, perhaps you could look up old photographs in that library where you found the initial information and pick her out. Who knows? Maybe you can get lucky and find her in one of those big photographs that some libraries and town halls have hanging on their walls showing how life was "way back when". Or, if THAT fails, and you seriously want to know, look her name up. They may just have a painting, or photograph on microfiche or some other means.
Thank you.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-31)
Kudos to you for going out and researching the home. Clearly the spirit of this woman didn't want to leave her home where she no doubt shared good (and bad) times with her husband. Does your aunt still reside there?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: