You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Did A Ghost Save Our Friendship?

Real Ghost Stories

Did A Ghost Save Our Friendship?

 

This happened at my parents' house when I was a kid in high school. I have to give a bit of background and house layout information first, though; it may seem unrelated, but it IS relevant to the outcome of the tale.

My best friend in high school was over for a visit one day. We were just hanging out watching television in the living room. I was seated in my Dad's chair in the corner; my friend was seated on the sofa directly in front of the television set. At the far right end of the living room was a doorway that led to the front parlor. If you exited the living room from this doorway and turned left, you would see a second doorway to a hall that led to our kitchen.

Anyway, we were watching TV and screwing around when I left to go up to the bathroom. I returned shortly to find my friend at the bottom of the stairs, coat on and ready to leave! I asked her if she was indeed leaving, and she said yes, she had to split as she suddenly wasn't feeling well. She certainly seemed agitated, so I just said OK and told her I'd see her later.

Shortly after this visit my friend and I got into a fight over something and weren't speaking to each other for about 1-2 weeks. As a consequence of this, one Saturday afternoon I was sitting by myself, bored and miserable, watching TV when I would normally be hanging with my friend. I was sitting in the same position on the sofa as my friend was when she had last been over, checking out the World Wrestling Federation or some such, when out of the corner of my eye, I saw a man walk from the front parlor through the doorway that led to the hall that led to our kitchen. Once he caught my eye, I had just enough time to turn my head and get a good look as he moved beyond my sight. He was looking in my direction as he passed, appeared to be around 30-35 years old, was tall and lanky and a bit stooped, had ginger-kid coloring, wore a chambray work shirt with the sleeves rolled up and Dickies, and had what looked like a tool belt hanging around his waist.

When I saw this guy, I felt no alarm. It seemed like seeing this guy was the most natural thing in the world. He totally looked natural, no transparency or misty aura or anything about him. After a beat, I realized that this guy is a stranger, what's he doing in my parents' house? I then jumped up and went around the corner to see where he went. From my seeing him to my going into the hall took all of 3 seconds, but by the time I got there, the guy was gone!

Then I got spooked! In fact, I was so spooked; I broke down and called my friend, the one with whom I was not speaking. With trembling voice I told her that I saw a guy in my house just now, and asked if she and I could please set aside our differences because I was freaked out and needed a friend. She said then that she had also seen a guy in my house, that day she was over watching TV, and that was why she had left in such a hurry! She didn't tell me what she saw because she didn't want to alarm me, but she felt that she couldn't stay, as she was rather spooked by the incident. Without telling her the specifics of what I saw, I asked her to describe what she had seen and she independently verified what he looked like, where he appeared from, and where he disappeared to. We agreed that we had been sitting in the same position on the sofa when we each saw the guy, and we agreed that there was no alarm or malevolence about the guy, just general spookiness because we both felt that he didn't belong here.

Then we laughed and forgave each other for fighting, and continued on being best friends. This was the first and only time I ever saw a "ghost", and although I'm sure it was not his intention, I'm still grateful to him for his part in bringing my friend and I back together!

Other hauntings by galleygal

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, galleygal, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

bubba (10 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-18)
I have read both of your stories posted and just want to say they are great! Very interesting and very well written! And it does sound as if the man had a profound impact on your friendship! Thanks for sharing!
book_luver123 (227 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-02)
Awesome, I really do think that the ghost in the parlor saved your friendship. ❤
Jginkx94 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-01)
hmm now that is very spooky I gess he did save your friendship he prbobl figured that you and your friend were disteressed by his prescenece so he wanted to how hisself to you so you could call her but I don't know it sounds a little werid. He probobly senesed that nothing was wrong
galleygal (3 stories) (150 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-01)
Hi Hopeful!

I thought this story was a textbook example of the "residual haunting" I've read about in the stories at this site. My friend and I both thought the fact that we saw this guy while sitting in the exact same spot (although on seperate occasions) was significant, like maybe we wouldn't have seen him at all if we had been sitting on the floor or in the corner. I haven't lived there in years, maybe some day I'll visit the library or our historical society and see what I can dig up...
Hopeful23 (12 stories) (93 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-01)
That was a good story! Of course I've heard of ghosts tearing relationships and friendships apart, but it seems this ghost was helping to save your friendship. Maybe you could check into the history of this house and hopefully find out more about this spirit. Thanks for sharing!

-Hope

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: