You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Unusual Activity From My Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Unusual Activity From My Ghost

 

We have lived in our condo for over 3 years now and have had what I consider ghostly activity since we moved in. I have contributed a couple of stories about the happenings in my home to this site. Things had pretty much continued on like they started--lights going on and off, toilet seats that were left down being found up, doors opening and closing. Just your garden variety haunting!

Over the summer, though, we had three incidents that had never happened before.

The first thing that happened was that we started hearing an old fashioned telephone ringing. Not an electronic ringer but something that sounded very much like a bell on an old rotary phone. This went on for a couple of weeks. It seemed to be coming from about 6 feet in the air in the middle of the living room. The sound would recede or get louder if you moved. It was loud and not muffled at all. It was very odd and we were mystified. Then one day the ghostly phone started ringing and in exasperation (it had rung about 10 times, stopped, and started again) I pantomimed picking up an imaginary hand set and said "Hello?" No one answered me back but we haven't heard the ringing again.

The second odd thing happened in the middle of the night. My older cat has a bit of a Lassie complex and if anything out of the ordinary happens he comes and gets me. This has actually been helpful because twice he has alerted me to leaks coming from the condo above me. Now when he wakes me up in the middle of the night I pay attention. Earlier this summer he woke me up and when he saw I was awake he went down to the end of our bed and stared intently down our bedroom hallway into our main hallway where the door to the guest bath is-- like he was watching something. I got up, looked, saw nothing, and started into our bathroom. As I was going into our bathroom I saw what looked like a flash of light in the main hallway. I looked out into the hall and it was dark like it should be, just as I was going to go back to bed another flash of light. I decided to just stand in the bedroom doorway and wait. I then saw the light flash head on. You could see the walls being briefly illuminated and it was strong enough that it left an after image in my eyes. It was like a camera flash about 7 feet in the air. I went out into the hall and looked around. The hall is at an angle from the living room and has no windows. Light from the living room windows doesn't reach the hall. Just to be sure I checked and the shades and curtains were all closed in the living room. There were no storms in the area and the sky was clear. Since then I have watched the hall during lightening storms and the flashes of lightening never illuminate the hallway. On a couple of other occasions we have seen the mystery light flashes- mostly at night- but once during the day.

The third odd thing that happened this summer I refer to as the big freeze. I was playing with my younger cat in our living room with me sitting on the sofa and kitty playing on the floor. Very abruptly my cat stopped playing and started stalking something on the breakfast bar. She was intently watching something that I couldn't see when she suddenly whipped her head around like whatever it was flew over her and then she started very intently watching my feet. All of the sudden I started feeling very cold air around my legs from ankles to knees. It was so cold I got goose pimples. I immediately looked at the thermostat that was about 4 feet from me to see if the air conditioning had come on. It hadn't and besides our vents are all in the ceiling. I felt the cold move up a little on my legs and I turned to look at the thermostat again just to double check the AC wasn't on. I noticed that the temperature on the thermostat was changing. It was dropping very fast by halves of a degree. It dropped a full four degrees in a matter of seconds. I reached out and I could feel that there was a cold spot running from the thermostat to my legs that had a very distinct boundary. After a few minutes the cold spot moved away and I could feel warmer air rush in around my legs. When the cold spot moved my cat's attention went from my feet to the hallway, like she was following something moving away. I looked at the thermostat and the temperature was rising to normal levels very quickly. I really have no explanation for this.

I still feel that whatever or whoever lives here with us is totally harmless and just wants acknowledgement from us.

I have repeatedly tried to tell this being that it is safe to move on or ask if it can let me know if it needs something to no avail. It doesn't seem unhappy and seems to have a playful side.

Things will probably just continue on as they have been for the last three years.

Other hauntings by BabyBoo

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BabyBoo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-09)
Glad you did your investatigating as things were happening instead of panicking. No doubt means there is no bad vibe from this thing. I have had dogs that were sensitive but my cats seem not to care one way or the other. Lots of history in the DC area so maybe your condo was built on haunted land. Whatever it is seems harmless.
TigerLily (3 stories) (145 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-08)
The cats' reactions were normal. Animals and smaller children are supposed to be immune to the paranormal. The way your cats reacted seemed likely. 😊
I'm glad to hear that this being doesn't feel the need to cause any harm. Hopefully it should stay that way.
If you feel the need to rid your home of the spirits, maybe try saying the Lord's prayer or having the house blessed. 😕

God Bless.
book_luver123 (227 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-08)
The kitten, I think was hunting a ghost. Man, I would have run outside by then.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: