You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Sophie's Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Sophie's Ghost

 

This is my second post of a paranormal experience that happened to me, I can't remember this directly myself and has come from five reliable witnesses, my mum, dad, gran, great aunt and great uncle.

It was around Christmas and I was about 4 we were visiting my great uncle and aunt's house with my gran. It was mid afternoon time and I was playing with my toys by the fireplace. The fireplace was a big open fire; the house was built in the Georgian times, so imagine big tall ceilings and windows very grand. The fire obviously was not on in fact it had been unused for some time due to an accident that occurred many years ago. My great uncle and aunt had a daughter called Sophie who was roughly the same age as my mum, unfortunately when she was seven her nightgown caught fire and she suffered horrific burns and died later on in hospital, since then the fire had never been used. It was a family tragedy and obviously it took quite sometime to move on from.

I'd been playing happily all day by the fireplace and kicked up a fuss anytime anyone tried to move me, I was laughing and muttering to myself playing away and talking out loud, when my gran asked me who I was playing with and I just turned around and told them I was playing with Sophie. The room fell quiet and nobody knew what to say, I turned around and carried on playing. On the way home my mum asked me more about Sophie and I described a little girl playing by the fire in a nightgown.

Unfortunately my great aunt and uncle have passed on and the house was passed to my cousin who has a young son of her own who often sits and plays with Sophie by the fire, it doesn't seem to scare anyone, maybe I spooked them that first time, but I think everyone finds it quite comforting that Sophie's still in the house playing by the fire!

Other hauntings by otisian8

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, otisian8, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AloveB85 (2 stories) (31 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-16)
I don't think its a bad thing that sophie hasn't moved on yet.
Even though her parents have long since passed, her "ghost" is a peaceful, clam prescence, not an evil one. Maybe she's not ready to move on.
TigerLily (3 stories) (145 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-10)
It's heartbreaking that Sophie might not have moved on yet. I still think it is sweet that she was playing with both you and your Cousin's son. I'm glad she is still around. 😁
It must have been hard for everybody after the way she died. 😭 Tragedy.

God Bless.
book_luver123 (227 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-09)
My parents had to keep me away from fire places because I love fire. Fortunately ours is enclosed.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-09)
What would upset me is that a child hasn't moved forward but is still caught between the world of the living and the world of the dead. Such a tragedy. Heartbreaking. I just wouldn't want to compound the issue with entertaining a spirit that should be encouraged to pass on to the Light. I would hope an adult would impress upon Sophie that it is time to move on. While I don't believe there to be linear time in the next world and Sophie probably has no knowledge of the time that has lapsed, I would think pointing it out to her may help her move forward and take her place in a higher realm.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: