You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Earthquake Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

The Earthquake Ghost

 

This story takes place in late September of 2001.

My ex-husband John (not his real name) and I lived in a 3 bedroom apartment in Brooklyn, NY. We never experienced anything paranormal until we had an earthquake.

One night I was torn out of my sleep by a very loud cracking sound and then an even louder BOOM! I started screaming because I had no idea what was going on. John jumped out of bed and ran into the living room turning on all the lights. He thought someone had broken in, we looked around and I noticed that the CD's and DVD's in the entertainment center had fallen over, but no sign of anyone in the apartment. My only rational conclusion was that a tractor trailer flipped over on the expressway and the vibrations knocked some things over. We straightened everything up and went back to bed. When I got up the next morning I turned on the news looking for a report of an accident on the BQE, but was surprised to find out that New York had an earthquake.

A few nights later, I had just got into bed and John was already asleep. The bedroom and the spare room doors were closed. The spare room was right off our master and we used it for storage. I started to hear some movement in the spare room. It sounded like boxes were shifting. As I laid there listening half expecting to hear a box fall over, I heard a female voice in my ear say "My name is Susan" it was very low and at first I was not convinced and figured I imagined it, but the next night proved otherwise.

The next night I started to hear scratching coming from behind the headboard. I ignored it thinking it was John being a jerk scratching his nails on the headboard to annoy me. After a while I figured enough is enough and I told him to cut it out. He insisted that he wasn't doing it. He even showed me his hands. I said ok if you're not doing it then keep your hands right there. A few seconds later we heard it again. We both jumped out of bed and turned the light on. I'm thinking it's a rat, or mouse. I looked behind the bed, nothing. We searched the whole bedroom, nothing. He started to joke around saying maybe we have a ghost. Remembering what happened the night before I told him what I had experienced. He laughed at me and said "Oh yeah well this is what I think of your ghost", and started cursing and taunting it. I yelled at him to stop because if there is a ghost you are going to make it angry. He didn't believe or even want to hear what I was saying. John continued his verbal assault, and at one point I said out loud, if there is someone here with us please do not listen to him, he's an idiot. Then I looked at John and said "You have no idea what you are dealing with and you might be very sorry you went on this little tirade". Well no sooner said than done the next night she got her revenge.

We were in bed when the scratching started again. Then there were alternate noises, if it wasn't the scratching it was the shifting of boxes in the spare room. This went on for a while until John said this is ridiculous got up and went to the bathroom. On each side of the bed we had a night stand with 2 drawers. The drawers had those brass handles on them so when you opened it the handle would make a clanking sound against the wood. So he came back into the bedroom stopped on his side of the bed and asked me "Were you looking for something"? I said no, why? He said look, both drawers are wide open. I looked over and both the top and the bottom drawers were open all the way and even with each other. He was insisting that I did it. I told him that I did not and would have no reason to go through his drawers in the middle of the night. We argued over it, until I got fed up and suggested we close the drawers and just go to bed.

It had to be maybe 5 minutes later, I heard him yell out in pain. I looked over at him and he was rubbing the side of his neck. He told me that his neck was burning, and it really hurt. I turned on the light to take a look and he had 3 claw marks starting from underneath his ear all the way down to his collar bone. Then I noticed his night stand, both drawers were wide open again! There was no way I could have done it without reaching over him and I knew that he didn't because I didn't hear the sound of the brass handles on the wood. This scared the heck out of him, and he threw the covers off to get out of bed. Now with the covers almost completely off I saw about 6 or 7 pennies spread out on the bed. I was in total shock and couldn't figure out how they got underneath the covers. A person would have to get into bed with their pants on and change in their pockets for that to happen. Well, John freaked out and went running to the bathroom. I sat on the bed and was totally amazed at what was happening and the fact that I was not afraid at all. For some reason I knew she would not harm me, but she didn't like my husband at all.

Months went by and things got worse. We noticed that if we closed our bedroom door during the day, it would be wide open when we returned home from work, the same with the door to the spare room. The spare room became the coldest room in the apartment. John would not go in there for anything. I had a digital thermometer that I used for my oven, I took it into that room one day just out of curiosity and the temperature read 55 degrees, it was late September so it wasn't that cold out yet, and the rest of the rooms read 75 degrees. John hated to be home alone because she would do little things to torment him, like knock something off his desk, or shut off his computer. One time he had the phone off the hook because he said it kept ringing but there was no one on the other end just static. I went to my company Christmas party and when I got home he had 3 claw marks going all the way down the middle of his back. It got so bad that he started sleeping on the couch in the living room.

My mother had a friend who was psychic. I spoke to her, and explained everything that was happening. The psychic said that the spirit in my apartment was most likely dormant and the earthquake woke it up. She believed it was the spirit of a young girl who looked to me as a mother figure and saw John as a threat. She didn't like it when I left the house because she feared that I wouldn't come back. The psychic also said that the pennies were put in the bed by her as a gift to me. It was her way of saying that she liked me. She suggested that I put a candle on John's night stand and light it every night. She also said to leave a stuffed animal or some other toy out for her. I followed her advice and within a week the activity started to dissipate.

By August of 2002 John and I separated. I went back to the apartment a few times to pack up my belongings and I could feel that the whole atmosphere changed. It felt very sad and heavy. On the last day I was there packing up my things, I knew she was there, I could feel her watching me. As I was leaving I said good bye and told her that I hoped one day she would find her real mother so she can be happy again. So many years later I still wonder about Susan, and whenever I pass by the old apartment I give a quick wave up to the window of the spare room.

I'm sorry my story was rather lengthy, but I didn't want to split it up and have you all wait for the second part to post.

I hope you enjoyed it, comment if you like.

Other hauntings by cosmogal926

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, cosmogal926, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

researcher (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
Hello All -

I've explained several times now, I'm a researcher for the television series William Shatner's Weird or What. The program is produced through Cineflix Productions, I am based out of the Toronto, Canada offices. The series airs internationally of History Television and the Discovery Channel.

I can assure you that I'm not providing you with my personal information and that I am passing along my work information where it is most appropriate for you to contact me.

I can also provide you with my series producer's name and contact details. His name is Tom Adams - he can be contacted at: 1-416-531-2500 ext. 197 and his email is tadams [at] cineflix.com.

Once again, my contact details are: akowalski [at] cineflix.com.

To repeat and make my intention as clear as possible. I am looking to speak with "Cosmogal 926" about her ghost encounter outlined in this very story and to speak with her about sharing the story on our show.

If you are not interested, please let me know.

Below you will find links to the show, the company and our facebook page.

Many thanks,
Anna Kowalski
1-416-531-2500 ext. 605
Akowalski [at] cineflix.com
Http://www.history.ca/ontv/titledetails.aspx?titleid=255461
Http://www.cineflixproductions.com/
Http://www.facebook.com/pages/William-Shatners-Weird-or-What/244402488935099?ref=ts
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-19)
reseacher, I was wondering if you were going to reply so perhaps your intentions are a little more sincere than first presumed...I'm not answering on behalf of Cosmogirl but you can build a connection right here just by participating with in our community... It was just a little too up front to expect this author to reply without asking questions first... Stick around converse and who knows how strong a bond may form from this point on.

Regards aussie
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-19)
Wow Aussie that was quick thinking. 😁 I hope they are able to trace it, but I'm sure it's probably one of those shell accounts.

Devious, I did a little research too and found that the show is real. They broadcast on Discovery here in the US and in Canada like you said, but you are so right it's weird to openly contact people like this. Definitely has Scam written all over it. LOL 😆
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-19)
One other thing of note, this number is Canadian and links to Cineflix Productions. I see their numbers all over the internet on various newsgroups and pages like this, asking for people's information to contact them about casting for various shows. I don't know but the whole thing screams 'fraud' to me.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-19)
Sounds like a scam my friend, I passed the email address and phone number on to our international police department they are getting a whole lot smarter in tracking them down than what they realize, they will find out the town where this account came from... Lol
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-19)
cosmogal - I took it upon myself to do a little research on her name as soon as I saw her first comment and I found some profiles online linking to her that parallel with her explanation as working for the show. That seems legit enough... Except why would someone in her position post private contact information publicly, especially given what type of industry she is in. Serious red flags there. It is either someone posing as someone real or someone attempting to defame her character.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-19)
Aussie, This is definitely or What? I tried the number just for kicks and giggles and surprise surprise it doesn't work 😲 LOL! So I don't know what Miss Anna Kowolski is trying to pull here but she better keep it moving. 😉
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-19)
researcher, I am just a little perplexed about your only two comments here at YGS? You have no information about who you are and what your doing here, but yet your offering your phone number and wanting to connect with some one you don't even know... Weird or what?
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-10)
Hi Stephy and Clever, I am so sorry I didn't see your comments until now. Stephy I totally agree with you on the etiquette. It really is horrible how disrespectful people are these days. I would have done the same as well if I was a ghost. I don't let people get away with it now. LOL!

Clever I know what you mean. I am always stumbling onto stories that have been around for a long time and I totally missed them. LOL! I hope she eventually found her mom too. Every time I drive down that block I always think about her and hope she is ok.

Thank you both for your comments! 😊 ❤
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-07)
This was an awesome story! I thought I had worked my way through all of them, but somehow I missed this one. I hope she found her mother as well. Stephy, I totally agree with you about the lack of proper etiquette.
stephyw2001 (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-07)
Just read this, super cute story! That's what he gets! If I were a ghost I'd have done the same. 😁 Its not very nice to curse at a ghost, especially a female ghost. What has ever happened to manners? The fact a man would say such things to a woman is just not appropriate gentleman behavior. I'm not trying to be chauvenistic, I just think etiquette in todays society is terrible. 😜
NpN4poisoN (2 stories) (36 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-28)
That is really sweet of you. I am sure she must feel good about it. But on the other hand there must be something that is holding her back in that house. Else such Spirits (Energies) latch onto someone they like (In this case its you) and follow them around. See if you can gather some help and help Susan out. 😊
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-27)
You are right NpNpoisoN, I think if John would have apologized it might not have gotten so bad for him. I actually drove down my old block a couple of weeks ago to pick my friend up at her parents house, (they live right across the street) looked up at the window and gave a little smile. Thanks for all your comments I appreciate them very much! 😊 ❤
NpN4poisoN (2 stories) (36 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-27)
Sweet... Honestly... And John should learn to apologize when he became sure of what it was... But can't help some who can't help themselves... Like you said "Poetic Justice"... Rightly Served. 😉
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-07)
cosmogal
Firstly thanks for answering so quickly, I think its nice that you do still think of her and wave.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-07)
Hi taz890, Yes I do. My friend's parents live on the same block. I went with her over there a few month's ago so she can let the dog out, and as we drove passed the house I looked up to the window, smiled and gave a little wave. Thank you very much for your comment. 😊
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-07)
what a sweet story do you still wave to her if you pass?
I only ask as I see this is quite an old post
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-10-21)
WB, I almost felt guilty about not caring about what was happening to John. But I couldn't help but think that he was getting a taste of his own medicine. I guess this is what you might call "poetic justice"
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2010-10-20)
There is NO SUCH THING as coincidence. Just Connection.
What a prick. Jack wagon! I seriously giggled out loud all through John's misfortunes. Some people just do not see what they are looking at.
I want to pat Susan on the back myself. Here is to all the women who WISHED they had Susan on their side!
Chow!
moomoomilk (1 stories) (10 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-10-20)
That's such a touching story! The way she saw you as a motherly figuer ❤ I really hope she is happy and with her mother now 😁
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2010-10-20)
cosmogal - I won't be on until late, but I'll check in with you. You know, all of us Loonies have decided there has to be more than just coincidence that brought us together. We're family. ❤
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-20)
I knew there had to be other forces involved for brining us all together. 😉 I will definitely take a look at it tonight when I get home. I don't have facebook on my work computer and have limited access on my cell phone. I can't wait to get home now and see this picture.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2010-10-20)
cosmogal, wow. Do I know what you're talking about or what?! I'd like you to read something, if you haven't already: LBC Discussion Board: Explanation for My Recent Picture of the Mist Around Me. We have a lot more in common than I thought.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-20)
Awww no worries Miracles my friend. I still ❤ you. LOL! Yes my ex was a huge *ss not only to poor Susan but to me as well. It wasn't a good marriage and I harbored a lot of anger and resentment towards him. I guess she picked up on it and kicked his butt for me. I know it's weird of me to say but I kind of had this "good for you" attitude about it. My ex has been deceased going on 6 years now in February. Even though I let a lot of stuff go I still hold a little grudge.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2010-10-20)
cosmogal - I'm sorry to say this is the first time I've read this story 😢. I was looking for a forgiveness smiley on here, but couldn't find one.

What an incredible experience! Your exhusband was a complete *ss, huh? He reminds me of one of those men in the horror movies who gets whacked first just because they're stupid! Sorry. I agree, he got what he deserved. You warned him, what more could you do.

Hopefully someone was able to help Susan move on. Great story!
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-20)
Hello again rpbonvie, Thanks for taking the time to read my story and for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed it. 😊
rpbonvie (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-10-19)
I liked it very much. Sometimes it takes more than just a few words to tell a good story.

Reg
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-21)
That's a really sad story. Have you made contact with any new people living there to see if they had anything happen to them? I don't know how an earthquake would "awaken" a spirit. But who knows. Maybe they're light sleepers. Its sad. Never the less
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-15)
TigerLily,
I have never been back to the apartment. After I divorced my husband I broke off all contact with him. I got word in February of 2007 that he passed away, but I'm sure that he was very sorry for acting the way he did. I have done some research and found out that a civil war veteran died in that house in March of 1900, and a woman passed away in 1901 she was in her 40's. I have not come across any young girls named Susan yet but will let you know if I do.
Thanks 😊
book_luver123 (227 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-15)
huantd2009 Please stop spamming it is actually very irritating. If you have a story and pictures to show us submit your own story. There is nothing more irritating to me then spamming.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: