You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Hauntings In A Small Texas Town

Real Ghost Stories

Hauntings In A Small Texas Town

 

My story began in the small country town that I was born and raised in out in West Texas. I will not give the name of the town, because the home that these things happened in is still there, although vacant and has been for a few years now the house still haunts me in my dreams. I was raised in a Christian family and attended church services every Sunday. Back then in the 1960's and 70's we just didn't talk about the paranormal like it is talked about now. I am so happy we have paranormal shows, investigators and researchers working to prove to skeptics that these things do indeed exist.

I was about 6 years old when I experienced my first paranormal incident. I am 46 now with two grown sons, who I have shared my stories with. I am the 7th child of 9 children. There were 7 girls and two boys.

Our house was built weird and was the same house that my stepfather used to live in with his first wife. His first wife developed cancer and passed away in the hospital. After all of these years of my researching, I can honestly say beyond a shadow of a doubt that ONE of the many spirits that were always seen in this house was her. When you walked in through the front door, there was the living room and from the living room there straight ahead was a door leading to another bedroom. If you turned to the left and walked out of the living room there was another bedroom which was my mother's and stepfather's bedroom and to the right of their room was a room which we used just to store items and it didn't have a door to it, it just had a blanket hanging up to it. When you walked out of our Mother's bedroom there was the kitchen and keeping straight led you to the back door to the left and in the hall way and an area we would store things in and our bathroom was the very last door on the right. Just before you get to the bathroom and the little area we'd store stuff was another bedroom to the right of the hall which was always freezing cold no matter what season it was. It was a very spooky room and house. Our house was not insulated so it was very cold in the winter and hot in the summer.

My mother and I were in the kitchen one morning and she was combing my hair getting me ready for school and it was during the spring, I remember that part because I was so happy to be smelling the flowers, hearing the birds singing and we had our front door open, but the wooden screen was locked. I happened to look up and saw a jet black shadow man walk through our living room and into the bedroom that faced the living room. Being so young, it did not frighten me, and when my mother finished my hair, I walked into the room and looked around and there was no one in there.

I remember telling my mother and she told me not to worry about it that we were protected and nothing would harm us. I didn't like the fact that I had to go to school that day after seeing that and my mother would be there by herself.

My step father who was the father of my youngest brother who was born after me and my baby sister would always frighten us with his ghost stories. He would tell us stories about years ago when this man was murdered by the husband of a woman he was fooling around with and at night you could see this man's spirit come back in the form of a bright light and the light would slowly move toward the back door to this woman's house and take the form of a small dog and walk right in to her home. This would scare us so much. He would always tell us that when he died, he was going to come back and haunt us. He would always ask us if we wanted him to show us how to really see a ghost. We would say no of course.

Night time was very scary in that house. We would hear whispering in the house and all kinds of noises. Our mother bought us some bunk beds made out of cast iron and these beds would move and shake on their own. I'm talking about when no one was in the room, you could hear these beds moving as if someone was in them or standing there shaking them. When you walked to the room the shaking and noise would stop. I would be so scared at night that I would make sure my cover was tucked in and my feet were not out for no reason, my hands were under the cover holding the cover tightly under me and my back was up against the wall in my bed. I would put my head under the cover and have just a small hole to breathe out of. I can remember being so frightened of the noises in the house that instead of me getting up to go to the bathroom, I would wet the bed. The fear was that intense. Sometimes at night, we could feel someone standing over the top of us, just staring down at us, or walk up to the bed and bump the bed as to really get our attention. If you were in the living room and had to go to the bathroom, you would see black forms peeking out of the last bedroom or walk out of that bedroom and go into the bathroom right in front of you. We would not only be frightened but ashamed to invite our friends over to our house, because when we did, they would leave scared to death. You were always watched no matter what room you were in. There was a picture of my mother's great, grandmother hanging on the wall in the living room and her eyes would follow you all over the room. I still have dreams about that picture to this day. It was so scary.

My mother and stepfather would get into arguments in the house and start fighting and that would just make the activity worse. I can remember one day I was taking a bath and was the only one in the bathroom and I had placed the shampoo on the toilet seat on top of my folded towel that I was going to dry off with and while bathing, I started getting an eerie feeling that someone was in the bathroom with me watching me bathe. I was in my teens by now and I was just thinking to myself, let me hurry and take a bath and get this soap out of my hair and get out of this tub because I am so frightened. I went under the water and washed the soap out of my hair and reached over and got the conditioner and put a little in my hand and went under the water again to rinse the conditioner out as fast as I could and I got a small bucket that was by the bath tub and filled it with warm water and poured it over my head and finished getting the conditioner and any leftover shampoo out of my hair because we didn't have a shower only a bathtub. Before I knew anything the shampoo and conditioner flew off the toilet seat and across the floor and remember, they were both sitting on a folded towel. They were not standing up, they were both laying flat on the towel and there is no way in hell something can fall off of a folded towel and fly across the room on the floor the way they did. Needless to say, I got out of that tub, grabbed by towel and ran out of that bathroom. There was another time, my niece who is now in her 40's was spending the summer with us and she was taking a bath and all of a sudden the light bulb just burst and glass went all over the bathroom and into the bathtub with her. She was so frightened; she jumped out of that bathtub and ran out of there naked. She was about 12 or 13 at that time. We all experienced things in that house.

This is the first of many stories I have to tell about my childhood and growing up in a haunted house. I have more to post and will do so another day. Thank you.

Other hauntings by jazzeyjay

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jazzeyjay, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-09-26)
December Wow I too born in december too lol and The House with two sides which remind me is my grandparent too still live there but not some bad engery stuff just a good they are christian and also noise too also I did feeling things there sometimes whenever I am over there.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-21)
My apologies. I have NO IDEA where the word Grandmother came in my comment. YOUR comment CLEARLY says Mother. Sorry about that.
As for the rest of it... Interesting. So many similarities, and yet there would be those that tell us "it can not happen". Hmmm. Neither my Uncle, nor my Aunt died in THEIR homes either, and yet they "Haunt" the bed they once shared with their loves in life.
Thank you again. It is comforting to find someone who has a similar family story to tell.
Thank you.
jazzeyjay (3 stories) (215 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-21)
whitebuffalo: This happened to my mother not grandmother. No, she was not uncomfortable with it and it did not frighten her, she just felt like it was my stepfather, who passed away while we were staying there in that house. She said she would put her hand back there and fan whatever it was away and turn over on her back and ask it "What in the name of the Lord do you want?" It would leave. My stepfather did not die in the house. He did stay true to his word that after he passed away he would haunt us. He did indeed haunt us like he said he would!

I had a brother-in-law who died tragically and also made it a point to haunt our house. I will write about him soon.

Thank you again!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-19)
Wow, that is so...
My Aunt Irene (may she be welcome in the Land of Many Summers) for YEARS after the death of her husband, would feel something "climb into bed" (as opposed to sitting on the bed, plopping down on the bed etc.) She would FEEL the arm go down to support the rest of the body as "something" lowered itself to the mattress, and roll over to her side. She could feel this "something" reach ONE arm around her middle and "snuggle in closer" until she could feel "something" that seemed to be "spooning" with her. The entire mattress would move, exactly as if someONE was wiggling around getting ready to fall asleep.
The interesting thing is, my Uncle would NOT spoon with my Aunt. My AUNT spooned to HIM (He was on oxygen, and it gave him the "closed in" feel if HE were to do the spooning).
Then there was my Uncle Art, bless him, who lived on the neighboring land (my family "owned" a good half of the town they lived in. The family lived landline to landline, and all in a cluster) lost his wife many a year ago. When he... Uh... Gained a woman friend (how's that for delicacy?), SHE would get PUSHED OUT of their bed occasionally as someone would cuddle in closer to HIM whilst he slept.
Hmmm. Makes me wonder if our family who are tied by rings and licences keep us close (literally and figuratively, I suppose) for a reason, at that time of day/night. I would think that is worth looking into, for me 😊.
Was YOUR grandmother uncomfortable with this presence? I only ask as both my Aunt and Uncle (by the way, they were siblings) were comforted by the experience and never questioned WHO was joining them in bed. Both "knew" without ever looking into it, that it was the love of their life, their marriage partners.
Thank you.
jazzeyjay (3 stories) (215 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-18)
whitebuffalo: I don't know if things still occur in the house or not. It is now vacant and we have moved our mother out of it and she is living in a beautiful apartment in a near by city where we can look after her. Before we moved her out, she would still feel things and she also said that sometimes at night, she would feel something in bed with her and feel a pressure on her from the back while she was in bed. I'm just so happy she is out of that house. I am working on part 2.
I pray as I type because it's just so much and get's more and more frightening and tragic.
Preeti (100 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-18)
They were desperate spirits they are infact... Do you know in this case just pray to god and get out of that plaace never be afraid... Do prayer and do keep a CROSS with you always...

God Bless you ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-17)
80 in December, eh? Huh. She must be a marvelous woman. I was born in December as well 😆.
I tell you what. It IS rather cleansing when you can actually feel comfortable enough in a given environment to "spill it". There was a time when I just hung my head as if ashamed, and pretended I was just as "blind" as everyone else. I came to a point where the questions far outnumbered what I thought I knew, and then I went in search of answers.
Burning the house, saturating the land... It all sounds very good, but it would not solve the issue. Whoever rebuilt on the land, or even grew a field of wildflowers would still have a connection to whatever still clings there.
IT needs to be set free.
Just curious. Do similar things STILL happen in that house?
Thank you.
jazzeyjay (3 stories) (215 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-13)
book_luver123: You are so right, negative energy feeds off of arguing and fighting, etc.
Youngdz79: thank you for your comment

Whitebuffalo: Thank you for your comments. Getting this story out there has been sort of like a cleansing for me. These experiences have haunted me and my siblings and robbed us of our childhoods. Don't get me wrong, we did have some happy times there, our mother made sure of that. I love my mother so much and I know that was our family home and she will be 80 years young in December and is looking into selling this property. I feel like who ever buys it needs to tear that house down, saturate that ground with gasoline and burn the property before building anything else there.

Nor_Cal_Girl: No it wasn't very nice of him at all to tell us stories like that, but that was having fun to him and it totally freaked us out. My mother worked two-three jobs, so she would not be there to hear him and if she did over hear him scaring us, she would stop him instantly. She was a very no nonsense type of woman.

Bozoe6: Thank you so much for your comment. There will be more stories to follow. I have so much to write about.

God bless you all.
bozoe6 (7 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-12)
thank you so much for your story, I am looking forward to hearing more of your stories. You are so right about not talking about the paranormal back then. I too am grateful for these shows now. It helps me now when I have an experience I can go and try to debunk it.
Youngdz is correct about making people fight to have more energy to manifest.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences with us. 😊
Nor_Cal_Girl (3 stories) (97 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-12)
That wasn't very nice of your step-dad to tell you those stories. Why did he do that? I would be so scared to stay in that house! I'm looking forward to reading more of your stories. Thanks for sharing.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-12)
Not only demons make persons within a home to argue and fight. Negative beings, and even simply negative ENERGY (that has nothing to do with the life impaired at ALL) can do the same thing. Mold, mildew, stagnant waters, some purely natural things can cause some of the same exact symptoms as what demonologist will state are direct symptoms of demons in the home.
The trick is to decipher whether it is a natural occurrence, or a negative being or (rarely) a demon.

I tell you, I saw all kinds of similarities in your upbringing and my own. I also saw a lot of differences. I also grew up in a christian home, but the only ghost that we ever discussed was the Holy Ghost, right up until I started asking questions about what I was seeing. Then, it was my Grandmother who took over in raising me, I was "obviously" a spawn of the dark side 😊. Ignorance IS our down fall (ignorance is the lack of knowledge, stupidity is refusing to learn from offered knowledge). Perhaps that is why I am such a stickler on knowing ALL the details of a story. I do not want to fall into the same trap that my parents did.
Looking forward to reading more of your experiences.
Thank you.
youngdz79 (6 stories) (58 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-12)
Yes book_luver123 you are correct, also a demonic presence will actually cause the people in the house to fight so that it can energy to manifest itself into something which could have been the case here. I am looking forward to the other stories you have to share with us jazzeyjay
book_luver123 (227 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-12)
When people create negative energy from, say, fighting, haunting get worse.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: