You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Little Old Lady

Real Ghost Stories

The Little Old Lady

 

Although I have had many "ghostly" experiences, the one that I am about to share has always stood out in my mind the most.

When I was younger, I used to spend the night at my grandma's every once and a while. It was something that I always looked forward to because we would stay up late and play board games and talk.

On one particular night, after playing board games until about midnight, we decided to go to bed. My grandma sleeps on her couch because she has osteoporosis of the spine and her bed hurts her back. So I used to sleep in her bedroom on the small cot she kept in the corner. We said our good nights and I went into the bedroom to read for a while. I was reading for about 5 minutes when my grandma came in to give me a flashlight. She then informed me that she wouldn't be leaving the bathroom light on for us to see by. I thought this was a little strange because I hadn't needed the light on for a while and she had never given me a flashlight before. She then left the room and I continued to read. After reading for a little while, I turned out the light and went to sleep without any issues.

I was in a very deep sleep when suddenly I woke up feeling very wide awake. I remember lying there, looking out the window by the bed, and staring at the moon. The moon was full so it was very bright and lit up the room fairly well. I then experienced a strong urge to look around the room. My eyes immediately went to the door and standing there was a little old woman. She was staring right at me. I remember she was short and slightly hunched over, her hair was messy as if she had been asleep for a long time, she was wearing a floor length grey nightgown, her eyes were slightly sunken and glazed as if she were blind, and her hands were slightly deformed as if she had severe arthritis.

She must have stood there looking at me for about 2 minutes when she slowly started approaching the bed. After what seemed like forever, she made it to the side of my bed, smiled down at me, then turned and ran out of the room faster than humanly possible.

Once she was out of the room, I grabbed the flashlight and went to search the apartment for her. While up, I checked on my grandma to make sure she was ok. After checking most of the apartment, without finding the old lady, I decided to head back to bed. But, as I was heading into the bedroom, I noticed that the bathroom door was closed almost all the way. The reason this stood out to me is because my grandma always has to have her doors open so that she can see what is on the other side.

Once I saw the door cracked, I was overwhelmed with fear. I hadn't been scared at all up until this point. I couldn't find it in me to check the bathroom because I was so terrified. I just ran to the bed as fast as I could and covered my head with the blankets. After what seemed like hours, I finally fell back to sleep. When I woke up in the morning, I told my grandma what happened and she told me that I must have been dreaming.

This event happened 11 years ago and I still insist that I wasn't dreaming. Ever since this experience, I have been afraid that I will see the little old lady again. I wonder if I will ever see her again...

Other hauntings by mrsmla4ever

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mrsmla4ever, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

mrsmla4ever (3 stories) (53 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-08)
Yeah I am thankful she didn't try to scare me. If you have seen the original version of House On Haunted Hill, she slightly resembled the old female caretaker. She was pretty scary looking. I know my grandma had been living in those apartments since the late 80's and they were built in the late 70's. Unfortunalely, I don't know much about the land. My grandma did remember giving me the flashlight and telling me about the bathroom. But she told me I must have been dreaming about the lady and checking the apartment. I do believe I am sensitive to spirits. I have had many experiences I still need to post. Maybe you're right and the old lady sensed it.
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-08)
You said that you checked the apartment. Was she renting? And if so, how long had she lived there and how old were the apartments. Not that, that really matters since many sightings like this have no background to go off of. Or rather were not known for their haunts. Like where I grew up. NO history on the house or land. I keep hearing (or rather reading) everyone mention guardian angels and spirit guides. I'm full blood indian and while I have experienced many things I don't know that I have a spirit guide. I've read and studied the bible a good deal and know of angels helping or assisting when needed mostly after someone in good standing with the Lord feels lead to pray, sometimes in the middle of the night. Children and the old being helped by what you would consider angelic sources, and I know they exist. But no where in the bible does it say that they'll just hang out letting you see them. I've also heard a voice (and it has been the same one come to think of it) that has warned me in dire times through out my life, and sometimes just call my name out of the clear blue sky. It didn't really feel like a guide and I'm not sure I could define it or the (blessed) presence of God I've actually felt at times in my life. I believe you saw something. I couldn't give her a label though. She didn't guide you, she didn't save you from a burning building or give you any sage advice. Ghost? Perhaps. A spirit just passing through? Maybe. Since you stayed there many times I wonder why she didn't come back though. I was wondering if your Grandmother remembered giving you the flash light and telling you about not turning on the bathroom light? And since then have you seen any family photos that could resemble the woman you saw? You might also just be one of those people sensitive to spirits and she could see that and wanted to be seen. At least she didn't try and scare you.
mrsmla4ever (3 stories) (53 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-15)
Thank you all for your response. While I know it may seem that I might have been having a night terror or what not, I know the difference between real and fake. I have very vivid dreams on a regular basis and this was definitely not one of them. I am leaning more towards book_lover123 or Jackanorykillswitch with their idea of a spirit guide or guardian angel because the old woman did not scare me in any way. Again, thank you for responding to my story.
Webbstain (3 stories) (24 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-14)
Hey, thanks for the fantastic story, here's my synopsis, you claimed your nan gave you a flashlight and turned the bathroom light off and then in the morning she claimed you were dreaming, well is it possible that she could have known anything about this (forseen it) just a guess.
Also I would guess the old lady wasn't in the bathroom, when they leave sight they generally just vanish, not hide.
So yeah there's my idea, Alex x
Jackashton (2 stories) (57 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-13)
Its a difficult one were you awake or were you half asleep, Or did you actually see something, a previous tenant of the house perhaps. If it was she ment you know harm, her smile should tell you that. It reminds me of a strange occurance when I was a very small boy, I was visiting my grandparents house in Cardiff Southwales, and one night I awoke to see a large human eye staring at me through the window blinds, how anyone could be at the closed window on the top floor of the house, I cannot say, what it was I have an open mind about it. But it was very real to me, and I can see that eye in my memory some thirty years later. It was too big to be human. Jack 😐
Jackanorykillswitch (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-12)
thats go damn scary hmm I think it was your spirit guide also or maybe a old lady that had died in that home?
chicken (29 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-12)
Now, I don't know about the whole door thing, but about the old lady, that could have been a night terror (You know, when you think your awake, and then something happens). I'm only saying this because you said you "expierinced a strong urge to look around," which is common in night terrors because you yourself are not controling yourself. You could have woken up right after the lady left. Hey, I'm sorry, I believe in ghosts too, but I'm just giving you my theory...
book_luver123 (227 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-12)
The woman, in my opinion was your guardian angel. With the sudden fear it is quite normal because you were fine up in until then your body suddenly processed what had happened and the fear overtook you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: