You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: That Black Thing

Real Ghost Stories

That Black Thing

 

This is my very first experience with the paranormal. Sorry if this is kind of short, but it was a rather quick happening.

I was four years old when this happened and I was playing outside of the house that I currently live in. I don't remember exactly what I was doing, but I think it involved me playing with a toy truck. My dad was also outside, but he was way in the back and I was closer to the back of the house. My mom and brother (who was only a toddler at the time) were in the house, so this could not have been the result of one of them.

I looked up from my toy and I saw something beside the back side of the house, opposite from the corner I was closest too. It looked like kind of what a Grim Reaper outfit looks like, tall and dark, in the shape of a person wearing a similar outfit. It was dark in the center of it but the edges of the 'body' weren't quite solid. They kind of misted out a black cloud/smoke looking substance. The figure just stayed pretty still for a moment, like it didn't even notice that I was looking at it.

It took only another second or two from there for it to see that I was watching it and it quickly darted away around the house. Being just a stupid, curious little kid, I followed it, wanting to see what it was. Of course by this time, it disappeared. I don't remember being afraid after not being able to see it any longer, because the memory is just a little hazy.

It didn't seem like a Shadow Man. Actual Shadow Men are supposed to be solid. It didn't look like a typical shadow, because it was more solid than that.

Other hauntings by ChildOfTheLotus

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ChildOfTheLotus, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

galleygal (3 stories) (150 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-26)
Thank you, childofthelotus. I hear the word reaver, and I think of these messed-up people on that show...your description sounds lots better!
ChildOfTheLotus (10 stories) (133 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-26)
He read about them in a book (though I have no idea which book. I thought it was some occult encyclopedia). He said that they look similar to the famed shadow people, but they aren't full solid like shadow people appear. They apparently like to just roam around, and are curious about new surroundings, kind of skittish at being surprised, though.
galleygal (3 stories) (150 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-26)
What on earth is a reaver? Is your husband referring to those things on the old Firefly show?
ChildOfTheLotus (10 stories) (133 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-22)
Thank you, whitebuffalo. You're right, I was just describing what I saw. It's not like I said the "N" word (which would never escape my mouth or my kids' mouths as long as we live). He/she/it was very dark, I can't help it if the shadow wasn't green or yellow, or red.

But it's good that everyone else on this site tries to help and doesn't just jump to insane conclusions.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-22)
Excuse me, please, ChildOfTheLotus, I would like to say something about the comment made by answanghunter1.

Answanghunter1, "racist and stereotypical"? No, I do not think so. It is more like a DESCRIPTION of the being. That is neither stereotypical (it is not an OPINION, it is the DESCRIPTION of the being) nor is it racist. It is only in describing what was seen.
Sadly, here lately there was a good samaritan that was put on the "hot seat" as a result of some idiot stating that her DESCRIPTION of a perpetrator was just a form of discrimination. It caused a HUGE uprising as she described two people climbing through the window of a stately home. BOTH persons had bags and gloves on. She described them the way ALL officers prompt. Height, weight, clothing, and tint of skin.
Poor woman. Bet she will never put in a call to the police when she sees someone breaking into a home again.
Please keep your comment to the story and not your view of what you THINK the author is. As this was a description, and not the authors opinion.
Thank you
ChildOfTheLotus (10 stories) (133 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-19)
Okay answanghunter, you're insane. It was not racist. What's wrong with you? I really did see a thing, and it was pitch black. PEOPLE are NOT pitch black.

If you don't have something useful to say about my experience, don't comment. And DON'T call me racist. How dare you. I HATE racists.
aswanghunter1 (11 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2009-09-17)
i don't think its paranormal as much as it is racism and stereotypical...

Come on, black, hooded figure at the side of your house? "the black thing"? Sketcy.
ChildOfTheLotus (10 stories) (133 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-17)
I am fairly sure that the real Grip Reaper was not in my yard. Grims don't come into the human realm unless someone needs to die. My husband says it may have been a Reaver. They are aloof and not very bright. Apparently I probably startled it while it was just having a look around.
Jackashton (2 stories) (57 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-17)
Wish I could remember when I was four, Sounds like it could have been a case of mistaken Identity here. You were very young. I'm not sure the old grim reaper would be hanging around watching wee kids. 😊 No offence Jack
Apocalypse (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-17)
When I was seven, We moved to west kingsdown, Near brans hatch in kent. I was going round the block on my bike searching for my friends and I decided to go round to the second block, Where the night before me and my parents walked my dog to admire the christmas lights as we walked through the snow on the dimliy lit street. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted a black figure, I instanly dropped my bike and ran like hell back to my house gasping from breath I finally got there, later I returned and my bike had giant slits in the tires:[
book_luver123 (227 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-16)
Perhaps it could have been a trick of the light.
If it was something of the paranormal it was probably a ghost.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: