You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Lingering And Confusing Paranormal Experiences

Real Ghost Stories

Lingering And Confusing Paranormal Experiences

 

My initial story with the paranormal begins in New Orleans, Louisiana where I was born and raised. The family dynamic is fairly typical... White trash upbringing with a much too young mother from a dysfunctional family of her own which gave her little guidance on how to make appropriate choices in life. So, this story takes place during my time with my mother and her poorly chosen husband number 2 and we were are all living in their match box sized home in a neighborhood full of other like "family" dramas.

Now, husband number 2 was an unsavory character that you do not want your daughter marrying and you really do not want your grand daughter left alone with him. This is a deep south, backwaters sort of character that drank too much on a regular basis and like to thrash a beating every now and then among other things and then there is mother who is at a stage in her life when any man "will do" as long as there is a man around... Regardless of what he does to amuse himself in the home. She has a man and that makes her a "somebody".

So, given the aforementioned, unstable mother, the stepfather that hell spit up and a small girl child spending every waking hour terrified except for the few precious hours at school when life was safe for a little while each day. When you add up all this negative energy in one small older home... I guess it's only logical that other energies, let's call them "non living in the physical sense" negative energies are bound to be drawn to energies like their own.

My earliest memories in the house that hell built was my name being called by several voices at the same time and they were whispering but easily heard. This was frightening and confusing at the same time... But not as scary as my mother's husband so the voices were simply designated as disturbing in my mind but harmless in the grand scheme of all that was going on in the house.

The next issue was small items hitting me in the back (not hard) but noticeably coming across the room and hitting my back when I was in the house alone. This was more concerning than the noises, but again, not as bad as dealing with the home life at hand... And since I did not want to invite any focused attention from either parent, I did not talk about these incidences.

Then, one night, all paranormal activity went for a full on "look at me" showing so it could not be ignored. In grade school, I would typically get a book from the library each week so I would have plenty to read to escape the house of horrors as much as possible through reading stories about Madame Curie or Eleanor Roosevelt, any book about women who seem to make their own way through life with some sort of independence.

So, my mom and husband - 2 were asleep (thank you God for small blessings) and I was alone in the living room reading one of my books when I got that feeling I was not alone. I looked up toward the hallway and a "not quite solid" man with really large eyes and bushy blondish hair with a T-Shirt and shorts on was looking at me... Sort of like it was trying to figure out what I was doing there. My mouth opened... But no scream, I was frozen with my mouth wide open but no sound was getting out...So, this... Thing casually turned and walked down the hall into the bathroom. I turned my eyes back toward my book and stared at the page... Not reading... Just having my own little personal freak out not sure what to do... I was thinking that I cannot tell my mom about this because why would she believe this and anyway, I was still frozen to that couch I was pretty sure if I averted my eyes back up, I think that "thing" was standing in the hallway again... I looked up and oh God... It was still in the bathroom, but just kind of hanging its head out just beyond the door frame with just his head, his big eyes and his hands wrapped around the frame of the door peering at me like it was freaked out that I was still in the house...Well, now I was losing my mind, I opened my mouth and I found my voice and I screamed my head off as loud as I could manage and then this thing literally jumped in the air, landed just above the carpet running in mid-air down the hallway and ran right through the hall coat closet... I was still screaming as I saw it run through a door!

My mom and husband come running out of their room and I started telling them everything right away... They do not believe me and told me to go to sleep... And they went back to their room laughing at me until I heard their door shut.

I did not talk about it again and did not see the "man" again but our next door neighbor (an old lady) mentioned to me after some time passed one day that her husband died shortly before we moved in our house and he often visited her in spirit form to which I politely nodded in acknowledgment and mumbled something like "that is so sweet". So, I figured that must have been him that I saw running up and down the hall and maybe he was lost and confused.

Mom's husband got drunk (as usual) one night and ran himself off the road into a tree and thankfully left planet earth and was no longer able to torment me... YAY! So, at the funeral, everyone was crying about this jerk and I was thinking in my mind, that if I could get away with it, I would totally dance a jig on his grave! So, we were in his home town in Louisiana at the family cemetery out in the woods and let's just call it "Deliverance Country" and everyone walked back to his parent's house but I stayed behind... Maybe I would dance that jig after all.

His grave was dug, the casket was lowered and the mound of dirt was on the side for the cemetery caretakers to come back and handle later. I was staring at this casket and taking in the new freedom my life was about to enter and I thinking "Does this man know that his life meant nothing to this world? He was a bad husband. He was treacherous stepfather that no little girl should have to endure. He left this world a worse place than it was before he was birthed on scene... Where do bad souls go when they pass? As I was thinking these thoughts... A huge black stray dog came out of the woods and towards me and I love animals... I have several pet rescues now as an adult... And this man in the casket was abusive to the animals I brought home as a child. I was happy to see this dog; I thought it is going to be nice to have animals around the house that he could not hurt. This big black dog trotted directly towards me and stopped short of the casket... He walked right along side the hole in the ground, hiked his leg and took a nice long wizz right on the casket and I thought... That is such a fitting send off for this pitiful waste of precious life this man had been given... So wasted... So unappreciated... An absolute failure at the test we are all given... This is your life... What will you do to honor this gift?

I continued to have paranormal experiences in every house I lived in so for me, it is not the places I live that are haunted; I think it is me... I honestly do not know what these beings on the other side of the reflection of my life want with us but I do know that coming from a childhood where I was trapped in a hellish environment that freedom is a blessing and a life of freedom should be cherished and enjoyed and shared with only those that value and respect life in the same manner you honor life.

I can say that at times, these paranormal experiences seem to indicate a warning. For example, in my 20's, I chose a man poorly. I was still a mirror image of my white trash upbringing and allowing controlling men in my life. I had not become clear on "who I am" yet. This was one of those men that were over obsessive (if I cannot have you, no one can...). Well, one night when he was staying over and was upset about some guy who looked at me too long at a dinner party, I went to sleep and he was still up in the living room. I woke up in the middle of the night and I was alone in the bedroom. I woke up because there was a really strong smell of oranges in the room... As if I had oranges on my nose. When I opened my eyes, my face was facing the wall away from the bedroom door and I saw a tall, at least 10 feet tall black figure shaped like a man with black wings just facing me and I closed my eyes tight and opened them again and it was still there. I slowly turned my head toward the door thinking "What happens if I bolt out of this bed and make a run for the door?". However, when I rolled my head sideways and looked at the bedroom door, I noticed my "boyfriend" standing right next to the bed looking at me with this catatonic like facial expression. I gasped because it was like he just appeared there and I said in a low voice... "Hey, do you see that over there" pointing to the other side of the room... And when I looked back at my boyfriend, he still had that weird face on him and he just turned and walked out of the room... This was about 3AM. I looked back at the black figure in the room and pulled my covers over my head and started praying because I thought I was going to die one way or another... Unbelievably, I fell asleep and woke up the next morning and my boyfriend was out of the house at an appointment.

I called some people over and had his things removed and I moved out immediately and literally left the state within a week... My boyfriend went to see a therapist and told her some disturbing things and so the therapist called me while I was packing up the house and said my boyfriend gave her my number and asked her to get me to come see him at therapy so we could work things out and I said "no way" and she said "good"...and if you see him again..."run"... I still wonder to this day what that big black winged shape was in my room that night... And what was that really strong orange smell?

There is so much we do not know and cannot explain. Sometimes I feel like an ant in one of the ant piles in my yard. They have no clue who I am when I am staring down at them watching them make their little town just like I do not know what these "beings" are that cruise by my little life sometimes. Some kind of look in on me, like I look at the ants in my yard and just pass on through without any trouble... And some kick up the dirt and mess up the house because "they can" and some put me back on track... Like when I find a stray ant in my kitchen that strayed in from the back yard... I scoop him up and put him on the back deck and tell him to go back to his friends.

Choose good companions on this life trip. Be good to others and be good to yourself. If you pick up a bad companion, drop them back off where you found them and do not look back. Your soul jumped into a vehicle (you call this vehicle your body) and this body allows you to tour planet earth on this journey you call your life. This journey can be a good trip or a bad trip. It is up to you and based on the choices you make. You cannot control your childhood but you can choose your life as an adult.

You are not the product of your environment unless you want that to be who you are in this life. You are the reflection of your thoughts -- so choose your thoughts carefully.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DL, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DrPeteVenkman (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-30)
Hey DL,

Please, PLEASE, contact me. For two reasons:

1| I'm a writer working on a piece about New Orleans-based paranormal encounters and would love to interview you (btw, just a guess but was "Deliverance Country" Bogalusa?)

AND

2| I'm an English teacher whose specialty is creative writing. And let me just say: You have a knack for narrative voice (how the author's story sounds in the reader's head). No bullsh*t: this is a trait that it takes most good writers years to master. And, if you're truly interested, I think I could help you hone your craft.

Here's my email:
UseYourWordsProductions [at] gmail.com

I know this story of yours was posted more than a year ago and I can only hope that you still check this page or the site notifies you about replies. I'm new here and plan on recounting my own paranormal experiences soon. But only because reading stories like yours has given me the courage.
bubba (10 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-18)
DL,
Fabulous story! I really don't know where to start, but there are trully a lot of different feelings as your story progresses.
You did an awesome job of detail, desriptions, honesty etc... Your expressions are incredible and an inspiration to all who read this, sure hope you have many more stories to tell. I hope your life is full of peace and happiness after all you endured through the years. I am in admiration of your perserverence, attitude and positive thoughts.
Thank you for sharing. Peace 😊
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-02)
-DL-

I really enjoyed your story. I also like your outlook on life and you are 100% correct about it. I have had many paranormal things happen throughout my life. I have encountered a similar being to what you described. However I did not like it and I felt it was evil. I was in a very unhealthy disfunctional relationship at the time I first saw the tall shadow being with wings. I was asleep and I had a dream that I sat up in bed and looked across the room in the mirror on our closet door and I saw a very tall 6 ft + tall thin black shadow figure with the shape of wings on its back staring at me through my mirror. It came out of the mirror walking towards my bed got over me and went in my body. This was in a dream, but I woke up because I had the strangest sensation like I actually felt some kind of energy go through me. I thought nothing of it and went back to sleep but I had a really bad feeling about it. I became really really depressed all of a sudden and almost to the point of being suicidal. It happened right after that very realistic dream I had. I prayed and prayed for the negative feelings to go away and I felt safe and protected and I got much better after that. The second time I saw this being (I was actually awake and saw it) was when my friend was driving and I was in the passenger seat. It was very dark out and we were on a lonely stretch of highway and it was just seemed to be flying around near the highway. It stopped moving about and just seemed to stare at me which creeped me out. I was so glad when we drove past that area. Now this road is only 2 lanes and many people have died on it because they get impatient and pass a slow car only to have a head on collision with oncoming traffic. I didn't realize this until later this being was hanging around an intersection where two highways merged and there have been many fatalities because some people don't stop when they come up to it. I think it was absorbing the negative energy of the area myself. I think when you smelled oranges it had nothing to do with that shadow being with wings. I think you had an angel or guardian spirit trying to protect you from your boyfriend. I think that shadow being was there to enjoy the show if you will, and your ex-boyfriend meant to harm you in some way. That is my own take on it and I know it is a different opinion then some of these other posters on here. I also wanted to say that in your heart you will know if that shadow being was a good thing or not no matter what anybody tells you. I have also seen some other shadow people and none of them have affected me in such a negative way as the insanely tall shadow person with the wings on its back.

-Sydney ❤ 😊 ❤

Here's another story about a shadow being with wings on here. "Angel of Death" by chelleck

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=2894
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-20)
very good story and some very good advice! Thanks very much for sharing both with the rest of us and I do hope to read more from you on this site in the future.
BansheeLee (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-19)
😊 Thank you for sharing your story. You remind me very much of myself. It is a wonderful thing to be able to over come the past and not let it consume you. I too have been through similar things in my childhood and adolescence and now as an adult, I too have had my share of unfortunate relationships. I believe things happen for a reason and sometimes it takes time to realize why we go through the things we do. But I can say this, that the things I have been through have made me a stronger person and a more loving one. Sometimes I wonder if I had not gone through what I had gone through before, would I still be the person I am today? I don't know, life has many mysteries and the BIG one is the mystery of why we are here? But before I keep rambling on and on, cause I can write, and write, and write some more...lol...I will stop again to say, Thank you for your inspiration. Bless you.
Jackashton (2 stories) (57 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-19)
Im a very possitive person, and I believe there is good in every one,everyone.Its up to you to choose which path your life will leed. And your life experiences will shape a person and there thoughts. Sounds like youve found yourself after such a long search to discover who you are, You change when you have that enlightened moment, your a lot happier, at peace with every thing. Youre calmer to. I think I understand you. I went through the same, And it took 12 years. Very eventful years to. Kind regards Jack ❤
soul (1 stories) (54 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-18)
Wow...that was a good story. I really liked the part about the dog, it did the right thing.

And about the black figure with wings, I agree with others that it was on your side.

YOU ARE A GREAT HUMAN BEING. I HAVE TO MUCH LEARN FROM YOU.

Take care. ❤ ❤ ❤
Sai_Chan (15 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-17)
DL,
Didn't I say you are noble and rare?
Now I believe you were an angel!
It's the first time I've come across one. You delighted me.
The evil has awful smell. The good has pleasant smell.
Orange? Or ange (D) L.
Of course 'D'evil or ange'L', still your choice in this life.
Who knows! May be I'm a messenger.

In this life, we have to pass tests, and redo all that have been unfinished or failed.
You'll encounter especially more evils than the average, that's your course.
Hate is the task we have to first cleanse ourself then the power to dissolve for others.

You're always welcomed to email me, I'll try my best to solve your problems.
DL (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-09-17)
I am so overwhelmed by the kind words. I wrote about these events because I was searching online for some answers to several paranormal incidents... Just looking for clues to help me understand if others have the same kind of experiences and I found this site. I do not write as a matter of habit and was shocked I wanted to share these life snapshots but it was sort of like an impulse and it felt great to "release" the information anonymously. I like writing apparently. I need to work on grammar though. You can see it was more like "thought streaming" more than writing... But it does feel good to get these thoughts out in front of me. I might start a journal. Thank you SO MUCH for the kindness in your comments. I watch the news a bit each day and realize and KNOW I am blessed. I am here, I am free, I am INTERESTED in life and I am grateful that I have come to a place where I can appreciate what I have and enjoy my time in the sun. My adult life is a cake walk compared to my childhood and I KNOW who I am and KNOW what is good. This planet earth experience is fascinating if you take the time to think about all you can do when you do not have to live up to anyone's expectations but your own. All I have in the world is what I have NOW and NOW needs to be embraced and savored. Every good moment in life is a gift. Enjoy life! It is a mysterious miracle worthy of your complete attention.
MANY, MANY BLESSINGS TO ALL OF YOU!
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-09-17)
This is a great story. I am sorry about your early childhood, but I have to say you are one of the few that refused to let their past define them as a person. You have a great personality and an amazing outlook on life. 😊 I really enjoyed the part about the dog lifting his leg on your stepfather's coffin. LOL! 😆 Not sure what to make of the winged being you saw, but it is a good thing because you got away from that man who could have harmed you. Thanks for sharing your story and take care 😊
Phoenix77 (3 stories) (38 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-09-17)
DL, as horrible as the beginning of your life was, you learned from it. That makes you a smart person. When you learned from your mother's mistakes (leaveing your bf) that makes you a wise person. I think you should thank your lucky stars and kiss the gods, the black winged figure saved your life. Your ex was coming to hurt/kill you, the figure stilled his actions and chased him away. I do wish you nothing but wonderful, loving things in your life and I like most; truely enjoyed your story and thoughts. Blessed Be
book_luver123 (227 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-17)
I am sorry about your stepdaughter. I can't image what that is like.
Lol I think that is one awesome dog.

Surya:I have to disagree I think that there is no such thing as destiny that we just live.
Hopeful23 (12 stories) (93 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-16)
A nice word of advice at the end, really made me stop and think about what I needed to be doing with my life right about now. I enjoyed the story you wrote for us, it was very real. I agree with the others on this one, you're a great storyteller. The bit about the dog made me worried at first, but smile at how it seemed to show the same hatred for husband number two that you did. It seems there are many beings out there looking out for you, the dog, the winged-creature, you are very blessed. Thanks for sharing.

-Hope ❤
reneespring (148 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-16)
I love your writing ability! I also agree that the black winged creature was on your side.
ChildOfTheLotus (10 stories) (133 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-16)
I'm so sorry about your step-dad. Not that he's dead, but that he was so terrible. I had an awful step-father as well. Your story was very well written I have to say. Thanks for sharing. I love the dog's farewell. So classic.
-_Syeetaque_- (5 stories) (109 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-16)
A very good story from the beginning...
I was like, hey I like it... The way you write, its not just plain stories, it came along with your thoughts and view of life from your perspective. Sory you had to grow up in that kind of childhood...

It was funny how both you and the old man's ghost were afraid of each other... I was wondering who got the most fright... Hahah...
I like your story...
Why don't you try to write a book? Novels, maybe?
Stay safe and happy ❤ 😆
weasle154 (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-16)
Great story and I have to agree with Surya about the Black Winged Figure, it was probably trying to warn you about something. I mean that therapist did say that there was something wrong with your ex-bf, and the figure was trying to tell you that he was planning something. But anyway stay strong and don't let anyone control you. ❤
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-16)
DL,

You are an old soul. Our lives may lead us astray, or as children we may be forced to endure; but your wisdom has shown you the path... Continue on and prove all of the skeptics and critics wrong. Your life IS what you make it, and those that visit us from another life come for a reason. Whether it be another challenge to overcome or the benefit of a guide or a guardian, experiences with spirits happen for a reason. Continue to learn and grow, your progress from where you started is commendable.

God Bless,
Lou
Sevenwaters (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-16)
Really enjoyed your story, you are a good story teller. I like what you said, we cannot control our childhood, but we can control our lives as adults. So true. I think I will pass that onto my friend who walks around like there is a black cloud over her head.

Thanks for sharing.
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-09-16)
I really enjoyed your story. A heart pulling one if I may say so. I can relate to parts of how you felt and feel. I will say one thing, as useless as you thought your mom's husband (2) was, he was not. We are all put on this earth for a reason. Whether it is to lead a good life, or a bad one, whether it be to endure pain to others, or help heal pain, it is the journey that has been paved out for us. How we walk the journey is up to us. It can lead us many ways, but the final destination is and always will be same. The life your mother had, her husband (2), was meant to be. What you went through has made you wiser and stronger.

The black winged shape, you say it was there to warn you of bad things, well I would definitely agree with you and would call it your guardian. Warnings come in many different ways, I guess not everyone is gifted as others to see the signs.

I will say the bit about the dog was rather funny, I know I should not laugh, so my apologies.

I hope to you read more of your stories.

Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Surya.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: