You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: Planchet: Went Wrong?

Real Ghost Stories

Planchet: Went Wrong?

 

I have always preferred to stay away from planchets and Ouija board sessions. I avoid the forum meetings when any related experiment or session is planned. It's not that I do not believe in it. In fact I have seen quite a few examples that point towards success of the whole thing. But the main problem is that the results are not predictable and I do want to open a door that I do not know how to close. Secondly one does not know what lurks behind the fence, hoping to enter our world using one pretext or the other. Secondly as a medium I am totally useless and hence no one really minded even if I missed all the sessions.

One such session called "planchet parkarma" was arranged in Pune, September 1998. I am not sure exactly how it is conducted but the spirit is summoned to possess the medium. A few questions are asked to the medium and then the next ritual causes the spirit to leave the body of the medium. Success rate of this experiment is much lower than conventional Ouija board session. When I arrived for the forum meeting next day after the session, I was told about it. The session seemed to have gone well wherein some random uninvited spirit made an appearance and instead of answering questions asked, started to make few nasty predictions. It said there would be floods and major earthquakes etc. No one believed it and most of the crowd thought that the medium, Anagha was just pretending to be possessed. Well, the predictions were ridiculous any way and in due course of time all of them proved to be wrong. But is started a very curious chain of events.

At that time I and Anagha were completing our post graduation in applied mathematics and most of our friends were common. Anagha was one of the most brilliant students in the university but she was extremely disorderly and in a way lazy as well. Her notes on "calculus of variations" which is a field of mathematics that deals with functional's, as opposed to ordinary calculus which deals with functions, were in great demand even in the international universities. She was being pushed by the publisher form a text book course which she never really got around to write. I was quite fond of Anagha as she was and when I started noticing some changes in her behavior I was pained and offended. Initially it never occurred to me to relate the change to the planchet session.

She stopped spending time in the library and canteen with the usual crowd. If asked she would vaguely mention some family problem and simply walk away. She used to be one of the quietest students in the classroom but it was changing fast. She started asking questions and that too such a complex ones that the professors found it very hard to answer at times. Whenever she asked questions her tone used to have a strange undercurrent which made one think if she was mocking the lecturer. Anagha had a reputation of never submitting her work on time but everyone was stunned when for the first test she submitted her notes six days before the deadline. In the test she topped and there was good forty marks difference between her and the second placed student who had been taking top grade ever since I could remember. Slowly and steadily she had started to drift apart from the group. I had still not suspected anything but once or twice I had noticed the look she was giving to the professors in the class. It was look of such an intense dislike and hatred that it gave completely different face to her. A first very concrete signal that someone was seriously wrong came when her room partner once called me and said that Anagha had been caught smoking and was asked to leave the hostel. When I met her she did not show a slightest sign of remorse. She was smoking quite openly now and was ridiculing the matron of the hostel as well as college teaching staff. There was nothing to learn for her and she did not care whether she did the post graduation. After that she almost stopped coming to the college and moved to a small room on her own.

During all this time, Anagha continued to write on her pet subject and her text book series was published. She had started to earn much more than what a salaried job may give her. Quite surprisingly she never seemed to study or read anything at the same time her knowledge base seemed to have grown several times. But otherwise things moved from bad to worse in the coming weeks.

She did not go home in vacation and when her parents came, they found empty whiskey bottle in her cupboard along with cigarette packets. Instead of feeling guilty, Anagha shouted at her parents and created such a nasty scene that the housing society had to give her a written warning about not repeating it. I must admit that so far I attributed all this to possible case of hypomania. At times she indeed looked in expansive, energized and sometimes elated mood. I suggested that her parents should take her to a good psychiatrist. Anagha however, flatly refused and literary forced her parent's to go back home. Three incidents in a span of a week or so, made me change my mind.

One day when I was using all the possible driving skill I had to push my bike through the heavy evening traffic I saw Anagha going past me in a small but new car. She was driving so effortlessly and with such a skill that can some only with years of experience. This was the same girl who used public transport two months back and was afraid of even driving a without gear two wheeler. Another time I was with my friend in one book shop which sold technical books. Anagha was in the same shop buying some books but she had not seen us. While waiting for the salesman to return with her books she used her cell phone and started speaking in Tamil language with someone. She was speaking fluently. I was positive that she did not know the language before and a quick check with her parents confirmed that it was correct. At that moment I finally realized that it was not a hypomania. One cannot learn driving or a new language without any effort. On the same day her father brought her handwritten copy of her own text series she was modifying. When an author makes any changes to the text, it is a convention that the change is authenticated by a signature in the margin. Anagha had signed the changes as Dr. Mani Subramanyam (name changed) !.By this time her father was in a pretty desperate sort of mood. They were staying in a cheap guest house because Anagha would not let them stay in their flat. How she would behave when they went to her place depended on her mood. Occasionally she would let them hang around for a while but all this time she would smoke and keep on making notes. It was evident that she was drinking at night as well and her attire had changed to more manly clothes.

Finally I had started to see day light. This was one way or the other related to the planchet session that was held two months back. Something had entered Anagha but had not left. I had to restrict my discussions with experts in the field of planchet that I knew. Internet was not as strong as it is now so I did not think of getting any on line help. Another session was arranged with a different medium but this time answers were obtained on the slate and pencil rather than trying to summon the spirit in the medium itself. Every attempt was made to request Dr. Mani to make an appearance. It did not succeed initially but in the fourth sitting the spirit did make its presence felt. The answers we got to our queries were surprising but simple. Anagha had failed to make her mind blank in that particular session as the medium. Her thoughts kept on getting focused on the mathematical problem that was teasing her for a long time. In a moment on desperation her subconscious mind had asked for the outside help and the help had arrived. The spirit that initially made a very mild intrusion to begin with had slowly pushed its way to such an extent that original Anagha was getting lost. But the spirit did not seem to be hostile or evil. It was doing what it used to do when Dr. Mani was alive without really realizing that what can be thought as the normal activities for a middle aged successful mathematician, may play havoc in the life of twenty one year old girl student. The message from our side was that if this pattern continues, very soon Anagha will have to move to some sort of asylum and the spirit would be trapped inside for good. This argument seemed to work and we received confirmation from "Dr. Mani" that it will leave the body in two weeks time.

Dr. Mani did keep his promise. Anagha limped back to normal routine and her originally personality returned. She stopped drinking but her body had picked up nicotine habit and she has never really given up smoking. Sitting in a library after a month or so, I had a long chat with her. During this conversation she did not deny that she was acting strange. I was quite astonished that she seem to have an inkling of what was happening and it appeared that even when the presence was inside her, her own personality has not fully diminished. But she sort of liked what was going on or at least did not want to resist. I am still in touch with Anagha who is now completely normal and leading happy life with her husband. But after this incident she never agreed to be used as a medium.

Other hauntings by mangadanga

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mangadanga, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

shiz98 (5 stories) (28 posts)
-1
9 years ago (2015-07-22)
My very first doubt-Why would a brilliant girl like Anagha participate in Planchet session?
and you said-"she sort of liked what was going on or at least did not want to resist."
An unknown ghostly entity is inside you and you like it? Very strange.
And this one--" she has never really given up smoking." Can't believe. Why will she smoke when the ghost left her body?
According to me the entire case is either a Multiple Personality Disorder/faking to be possesed to do whatever she wants.
Singha2014 (1 stories) (28 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-01)
Really awesome story..., First time I have read this type of story.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-11)
Hi Manga danga loved your stories... While reading the last two paragraphs I remembered the Chandramukhi movie which is based on the concept which you have mentioned here. Excellent writing skill 😁 😁
Maitreya_leo (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-12)
if that thing happens when planchet goes wrong I would like to do it every day!
sanjubhat (16 stories) (23 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
Fantastic story. I really enjoyed reading it. Great narration too. 😁
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-08)
Interesting read. I'm glad your friend is ok now. That must have been a complete shock to see her go through that much change in such a little time and then back to normal.
NewsBys (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-24)
Manga - Yes, I read that story also. Perhaps the difference was that in the case of the leather belt the gentleman died a sudden unexpected death and was suck in his last actions somehow. Very interesting.
mangadanga (13 stories) (22 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-23)
I agree. I did think on similar lines as well. But there have been occasions when the spirit tended to repeat same thing again and again. Its original personality did not manifest itself at any point of time. If possible, please take a look at my other incident "The leather belt". A good example of the situation exactly opposite to what I have discribed here.
NewsBys (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-23)
So this would seem to suggest that intelligence, intentions and habits continue into the spirit world. I find that idea fascinating. It is very different than the views of the afterlife I was raised with where people pass into "heaven" and leave all of their cares, ambitions and memories behind. That has always bothered me because what is one, without the things one loved and cared about while living? What good would it be to be in heaven without remembering what you overcame to get there?
mangadanga (13 stories) (22 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-22)
Yes. Mani was a spirit of a well known mathematician. Not someone who is world class but he seems have done some good work in his field. Hence I changed the name. Which again brings me to another thought. That summoning during the ouija board or any other planchet session is a curious situation. If one asks for help then the help may arrive. But in what form and if it will help it another ball game altogether. Mani on his own was not doing anything differently that what he did while he was alive. He was known to be a heavy drinker and was making lot of money by setting up question papers or writing notes. He was just doing the same in the spiritual form
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-22)
Very good story! I myself keep away from any ouija board sessions since they do tend to be too unpredictable. Thanks for the story and I'm glad your friend ended up well.
NewsBys (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-22)
Thanks for sharing another fascinating story. Do you think Dr. Mani was a spirit of a deceased person?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: