You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Native American Drum With A Beat All Its Own

Real Ghost Stories

Native American Drum With A Beat All Its Own

 

This is the first of many stories / experiences that I have had in my life up until this point.

I will give a little background information which, I promise is relevant to this story. I am half Native American and half Norwegian.

About 9 years ago my mom, who is also Native American, made a raw-hide drum. My mom moved in with me and my family in a brand new house just a few months before. We hung her drum on the wall in the living room. She had her cousin make a drum stick for it and we hung that just above the drum. All summer long the drum kept making a popping, ticking noise, as if a grasshopper was in the drum and kept jumping and making the drum sound. We heard this noise so much that we just put it out of our minds, at first we just thought the drum face, which was rawhide was still drying.

The summer was hot and dry and the temperature started to cool off as we headed into fall. We continued to hear the drum make it's weird ticking noise until I got sick of it and picked it up off the wall to examine it, as it was no longer hot outside and the material on the drum should have dried over the hot summer. There was no grasshopper in the drum, I squeezed it and tried to make it tick thinking that maybe the wooden frame had twisted while it was drying. But, I could not re-create that sound. I put the drum back on its hook and didn't think twice about it. The next day was a Saturday and me and my daughter were lying on the floor in front of the couch watching her morning cartoons when all of a sudden the drum stick came flying and yes I said flying off of the wall and flew about 6 or 7 feet and hit me in the head. Even if it just fell off of the hook's it was mounted on because of me moving the drum the day before, it would have just fallen on the floor as the couch was sitting kitty-corner to the drum and stick and we were about 3 feet in front of the couch on the floor. There was no wind to blow it off the wall. This made me wonder what the heck was going on. I grabbed the drum and the stick and put it in a trash bag and made my mom put it in her closet.

We called my mom's cousin who is a medicine man and told him what happened; he said the drum was calling to be played. We brought the drum to him with its stick and he kept it for a couple of days and than gave it back. We never had a problem with the drum or stick sense that time.

About 3 years ago our neighbors down the street gave my husband a rawhide drum. This drum is quite old and was used in a lot of ceremonies. The individual who gave us the drum is also a medicine man and come from a family that is greatly respected in our Native American community / culture.

We hung this drum up on the wall and never had a problem with it until about 2 months ago. Guess what started happening? The drum started making a noise similar to the last drum, a ticking, bumping noise. I have not called my mom's cousin to see what is going on and if he can help us.

But, I plan on making the call very soon. I have a lot of stories that I will be submitting as time goes on.

I hope that you have enjoyed this one and hope that you will enjoy future stories also. Thank you for reading and any comments that you may post.

Other hauntings by montanagurl

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, montanagurl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

julez_c (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-10)
well I'm native american also. And yes its disrespectful ask a medicine man who what where when and why. They are not supposed to tell much. I never heard about drum bein krazy unless somone trying to do bad to you and using the drum against you. You can play it like you said. Good luck.
montanagurl (3 stories) (18 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-26)
hi moonshadow - thank you for the comment. I have found out some new information about the drum and why it is beating on it's own. I have spoken to my mom's cousin and told him what is going on, he came and looked at the drum and told me a few things. I will post this information in a new story.
moonshadow (3 stories) (146 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-25)
wow this is unusual iv never heard of this happening before with a drum ill make sure if I ever get one I will play it first before hanging it on the wall take care...
montanagurl (3 stories) (18 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-23)
Hi Umi_Tamashii. That is very cool that we share the same heritage on both sides! If you ever want to chat about anything please email me - blkhwk [at] 3rivers.net. Unfortunately I cannot sing. I do have a great respect for my mom's cousin and trust him, that is why I went to him with the first drum. I will be bringing up the noises with the 2nd drum when I talk to him. He is a very kind and understanding man.

The last time this happened, I just brought the drum out to his house and he said he would take care of it. I am sure if I asked he would tell me exactly what he did but, I don't want to seem nosey that is why I havn't asked. All that seemed important at the time is getting it to stop. It was getting really buggy. The drum that is now making the noise has been quite for a couple of days now. I am not sure if that means it has stopped for good or not but, either way it is nice to have some piece and quiet. It always makes us jump when it happens and is kind of creepy as well.

Thank you hanbobs for the comment. This is the first story I have submitted on this site. Yesterday I submitted 2 more, I hope you enjoy reading those as well and can't wait to read your comments. I am glad that I found this site. Long time ago, it was taboo to talk about ghosts and hauntings and weird happenings but, now days it is nice to beable to discuss these strange occurances and not be looked down upon or be deemed crazy or touched in the head.

Once again thank you one and all for your comments!
Take care - until next time, montanagurl
Hanbobs (20 stories) (119 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-23)
Ah I see - you're right, you don't want to disrespect your culture. Maybe when you feel it's time you will speak to the Holy Man about the drum again in casual conversation and he will suggest what has to be done.
Take care! 😊
Umi_Tamashii (3 stories) (4 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-09-22)
Hi! We share the exact same heritage. I am also half native american and half norwegian. But yes, in the teaching that I have learned, each individual drum has a spirit of it's own. If you know any traditional songs, you should give them a try and play them on the drum. This was an amazing story! Thanks for sharing! 😊
montanagurl (3 stories) (18 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-09-22)
I assume that he prayed with the drum and played it but, I have never asked. I just assume that it was a spiritual thing that he had done and, in my culture, it is kind of being disrespectful to question a holy man / medicine man. When it is your time to know something you are taught it so, I just never thought to ask him. But, I have a few more stories that I think you may like. Most of them are recent and have happened since we moved into our house. Thank you for the comment!
Hanbobs (20 stories) (119 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-22)
Wow interesting story - maybe you should do what your Mums cousin said... Play the drum.:) hanbobs x

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: