You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: A Statue In The Night

Real Ghost Stories

A Statue In The Night

 

I'd never think this story would be one I'd be posting on here - I am still baffled now and was very shook up at the time.

Me and my boyfriend were driving home from checking up on my Mums house while she was away on holiday with my Dad. We drove up to a set of traffic lights that were on red, I was looking up at the lights waiting for them to go on green when I noticed something in the sky - several orange balls passing by. I pointed them out to my boyfriend then they disappeared behind the tree's. Once we were moving again I turned left at the lights and preceded down a long road that led to our home, I kept peering out of my window to see if the strange lights came back into view, they did! I pulled over next to a large park near where we live as they were now coming from either side. We got out and saw them floating over the park on our left and floating over the houses on our right. We watched them for about 5 minutes until they disappeared behind the clouds then got back in the car and drove off.

At the end of the road we crossed the round about then did a quick detour to the shops to get some cigarettes. On our way back from the shops we approached another set of traffic lights and a cross roads, where we would be turning left. As I waited for them to go on green I noticed a figure, facing the lights with its head facing down, stood on the far right hand corner of the road - which happened to be in front of a wooded area. It looked very ghost-like and was Cream in colour, me and my boyfriend both staring at the figure in awe. I then realized it was an old woman covered from head to toe in a long shawl, kind of like dress wear from the Victorian times. 'She' settled my mind by moving her head up to face us - I guessed she was waiting for someone - the lights went on green. As we pulled away, still staring at 'her', I turned left down the road, I could see 'her' in my rear view mirror and my boyfriend was looking back, out of the passenger side window. 'She's turned.' Said my boyfriend. I pulled over and we both glanced over, 'she' had indeed turned to face the road we had driven down - as though she was following us. None of us saw her move but she definitely wasn't facing this way when we were stopped at the lights.

Have you ever seen those people that pretend to be statues then move when you aren't looking? This is what I decided it was - but then it occurred to me, why would someone dress up and stand on a street corner on a housing estate in Manchester pretending to be a statue and scaring the passers by? And it was late - around 11pm.

I turned the car around and we drove over the cross roads and pulled up next to it - it was a stone statue, of a man! Jesus in fact - it was just stood in front of the woods on the corner of the road with a blank expression on its face. We both looked at each other amazed - it had moved though? What the...? I felt so shook up after that incident, how can a statue move its head then rotate its full body to face another way? Impossible...We drove back the next day intentionally just to see if it was there - it had gone...

Other hauntings by Hanbobs

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Hanbobs, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Aaru275 (4 stories) (55 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-18)
Your story was interesting but I think Silmarwen is right. You mind might be tricking with you. However nice story.
Hanbobs (20 stories) (119 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-12)
Silmarwen thank you for your comment. Maybe you're right... Who knows? And yes I agree with the Chinese lanterns there have been many in the skies for the past year or so. I should have taken a photo of the statue and uploaded it with this story. It's around the height of an average person not a very big statue!
Silmarwen (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-19)
Hello! Your story is pretty interesting indeed but I don't think there's anything paranormal about it. The orange lights sound like chinese lanterns to me, they're getting pretty popular these days and quite a few people mistake them for something unnatural.
As for the statue, I think it was just a simple statue of jesus and your eyes tricked you. Both you and your boyfriend might have been exhausted and kind of puzzled by the orange orbs you saw, and since you didn't know about the statue it misled you.
However, I'd love to see a picture of the statue
Hanbobs (20 stories) (119 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-07)
Thank you Scrapmetalkitten, I think your right. The statue is back now and has been for a while but I've not seen it move again and I drive past it quite frequently. Maybe when no ones around it'll move again, who knows?
Hanbobs x
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-05)
Hi I have some haunted dolls and on occassion I have seen them change expressions, blink, or their eyes move in a different direction. This statue sounds like it might be a haunted object. I have also seen the image of haunted objects appear like a ghostly image only to disappear again. Thanks for the interesting stories I put it in my favorites.

-Sydney ❤ 😊 ❤
BloodyMary03 (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-02)
That story reminds me of that Doctor Who episode with the angel statues that moved when you closed your eyes.
Hanbobs (20 stories) (119 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-28)
Wow thank you for all your comments guys! 😊
I've seen the statue since and it's in the same place it was in after it had turned. Strange huh? I even took my friend past in the car to show her the statue - also a friend of my boyfriend apparently mentioned the statue a few weeks ago, before we had seen it, and had said him and his girlfriend walked past it and commented on how they had never seen it there before then he sais 10 minutes later when were passing by again it had gone? Freaky!
Yes the statue of Jesus is wrapped in a shawl, I'll take a few photo's of it and post them up on here and see what you guys make of it.
The orange lights - I cannot explain what these were but several people saw these the same time we did - I noticed this as people had changed their Facebook status' about them - Me and my boyfriend saw 1 the other night on its own hovering over our flat - it was moving quickly and seemed to be only a few metres above the roof, I had to shout my boyfriend to come outside and look as it was about to disappear behind the houses ahead...
Hanbobs x
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-26)
Very good story, Hanbobs. And a very strange one at that. The whole thing with a statue moving then not being there later is extremely strange in itself, but I wonder what those balls of light had to do with it.
Fill us in if anything happens around there again and thanks for the read!
montanagurl (3 stories) (18 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-25)
WOW! Very interesting story indeed. I agree that it was good that both you and your boyfriend both saw everything.

It is very weird that when you went back you saw a statue of Jesus there and the next day nothing. I also agree that this was a message meant for you and your boyfriend as you both saw it.

Very good story!
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-25)
Hanbobs--Excellent that your boyfriend was witnessing all you saw. No one mentioned the orange orbs--to me, they were the incoming energy that formed into the woman.
That you returned to see a statue of Jesus, then again and it was not there, seems some kind of message that only you can interpret.
If you could remember the look of the woman, it wouldn't hurt to draw it out. There may be further revelation yet. A very unusual story!
Nor_Cal_Girl (3 stories) (97 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-25)
Very weird. Was the statue of Jesus in a shawl too? Like the woman that you and your boyfriend saw? It seems like it couldn't have been some random street performer because, as you said, what would be the point of that... Very strange, let us know if anything changes with this "statue".
banelunawolf (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-25)
freaky 😕 pherhaps its not a ghost,
And if you are a christian then maby gods trying to tell you somthing like "i am watching you" in a good way almoost to say
"i will watch and listen to you"
ChinaDoLL_09 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-25)
yeah... It is creepy... I have this thing about statues or figurines too, ever since I was kid... I just couldn't explain it but I just easily get scared by them especially gnome figures 😠 never get it why people are fond of making statues or figures like them...

Anyway, I also experienced something years ago when I went to this local museum... When we got to the prayer room, they had this antique statue of Jesus kneeling down with a cross... And I just can't explain it, but I just felt like something wasn't right... I felt like someone else was in that room, closely watching us and I couldn't explain it but I did have a hard time breathing especially when I'm very near to it. I did feel better though that moment we were already away from that room.
Hammily (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-24)
Ok... Your story gave me the creeps...I would be scared that a statue would be following me 😨... But it is interesting how it moves when you are not looking at it... 😕
Hanbobs (20 stories) (119 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-24)
Oh and by the way... We have driven past since that night, twice infact, and it was sat there! Still as anything. Spooky... X
Hanbobs (20 stories) (119 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-24)
I'm in a place called Wythenshawe. 😊 its South Manchester - easy to get to! X
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-24)
Where abouts in Manchester. I am up there next month might go check it out.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: