You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Iron Hide

Real Ghost Stories

Iron Hide

 

It was about 3:30 in the morning and I was driving down Highway 402 from Clayton, New Mexico to Nara Visa, New Mexico. I was hauling an empty trailer to Tucumcari, New Mexico. There was nobody else on the road but me and maybe two cars that passed me. I began to hear a lot of static on my CB. Then I heard a voice say "Breaker 1-9" which means that he would like to talk. I told him to go ahead. He told me his handle was Iron Hide and he was hauling a load of cattle down to Amorillo. We talked about driving trucks and how business was going and normal stuff. Then about an hour later he said that he had to make a turn onto highway 54 going north. Ill never forget what he said next and I hate it that I didn't catch it then but he said, "I used to love driving down this road. Be careful on it and God bless you son."

I got to Nara Visa about 5 minutes later and I stopped at The Annex Bar and Grill off of Highway 54 south of Nara Visa. There was an old truck driver sitting at the bar and we began to make small talk. I happened to ask him if he had ever heard of Iron Hide and he told me that they used to talk on the CB because they both used to haul on highway 402. He also told me that he was killed in an accident on that highway about ten years ago. That's when I told the old man that I just got off the radio with him. Bottom line is I talked to a ghost on the CB.

I'm not sure if he was talking to me to protect me and keep me awake or what but Ill never forget that conversation that I had with Iron Hide.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jonjon272, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TheNetherlands (3 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-14)
This story instant gave me goosebumps, thanks for sharing. It's nice to know that "they" can talk more than just a couple of words/sentences. Also I think you should really be blessed by the fact you came to know that he didn't really exist.

But I do have one question though, what did the man who used to know him said when you mentioned that you just talked to him?

Greetings the Netherlands.
LemonDrop_Pop (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-10)
Awesome story. I lived in New Mexico and I have been through Tucumcari it is beautiful country. Thanks for sharing it.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-24)
Hi jonjon272, great story. Thanks for sharing. This goes to my favs right away.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Cman710 (9 stories) (94 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-24)
happyhappy-yummyumm. That was exactly what I thought! LOL

But a very interesting story indeed. Looks like someone was indeed watching over you that night!
happyhappy-yumyum (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-24)
The title reminds me of Transformers. XD
What?! Someone had to say it...
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-17)
jonjon272 - I realize you submitted this story years ago, but thanks to a couple of my friends (BadJuuJuu and zzsgranny) I was told to read this.

What an incredible experience and a truly wonderful story. I think I would have to say, if it were me, that he was keeping you company to make sure you didn't fall asleep at the wheel. Or maybe he was just helping you pass the time on a lonely ride. Regardless of why, what a great man Iron Hide was.

I used to live in Virginia and would travel the freeways. I know this is probably going to sound ridiculous to a lot of people, but when I drove I always felt safest when I was surrounded by the semis.

I don't know if you'll ever see this, or if you're still driving, but my prayers for your safety will always be with you. ❤
dragonwalker (5 stories) (77 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-25)
Am adding this to my faves! Kick [at] $$! Having had a few times where my eyelids got heavy on my commute to work, I could see where Iron Hide might have taken it on himself to protect his fellow drivers! Keep truckin!
brainlessbandit (2 stories) (27 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-10)
Wow! This is an incredible story. Absolutely my favorite so far. Do you have kids/grandkids? If so, you should definitely tell them this story.
Trudy (92 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-30)
Dear JonJon,
It could have been your guardian angel. My guardian angel's name is Jen.
jazzeyjay (3 stories) (215 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-28)
WOW! Sounds like Iron Hide is still at work, doing what he loved to do when he was in the land of the living.

As I was reading your story, it took me back to that Pee Wee Herman movie where he was hitch hiking and got a ride with that female truck driver and she turned out to be a ghost.

I'm sure truck drivers experience a lot of weired things at night traveling along those dark,lonesome highways.
Hanbobs (20 stories) (119 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-28)
Wow excellant story - I enjoyed reading this. It is possible it was Iron Hide and not a prank, it is also possible for spirits to contact you through the wire (Forms of static energy such as radio and television) just like in the film White Noise, that is just an example. Maybe the next time you are driving down Highyway 402 he will contact you again...
Hanbobs x
neu (3 stories) (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-28)
Oh wow, if that wasn't a prank, it was a very sweet thing for a spirit to do. 😊
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
15 years ago (2009-09-27)
my step-dad drove a truck for 40 years...it's great to know that there are spirits who stay here to help their fellow drivers stay safe!
youngdz79 (6 stories) (58 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-27)
zzsgranny that was why he wrote that song cause a driver friend of his had a conversation with a man he knew was dead, I have heard of this from some of the drivers I used to talk to when I worked at the gas station in Monroe Mi about the I-75 trucker would keep the guys safe in heavy snow
Confused (3 stories) (29 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-27)
Amazing story, thank you for sharing it with us.

But one has to wonder, was somebody trying to pull your leg? Eh, it would be a fairly elaborate hoax for somebody to pull off.

Again, amazing story. I'm willing to bet Iron Hide was trying to keep his fellow trucker safe.
😁
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
15 years ago (2009-09-26)
sounds similar to that country-western song by tom t. Hall...how interesting though...i wonder if anyone else has ever experienced the same thing?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: