You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Noise At Night Followed By Paralysis And Trouble Breathing

Real Ghost Stories

Noise At Night Followed By Paralysis And Trouble Breathing

 

Last night, I had logged off my computer around 1 AM. Being the insomniac that I am, I was up until around 3 AM before I finally was able to fall asleep. I would have been able to fall asleep much earlier if something didn't happen around 2 AM.

I was lying in bed about to fall asleep when I heard little girl's laughter coming from outside my window. After a few seconds, it seemed like the sound was closing in on me. In addition to laughter, I heard running, starting outside and working it's way up to the hallway outside my door. I was about to get up and investigate, thinking that maybe someone in my family left their TV on with the volume up loud, but when I attempted to get up, I found myself paralyzed. Not only did I feel paralyzed, it was also difficult to breathe. This went on for...a few minutes, I suppose. I'm not quite sure how long it happened, since my head was spinning and it was hard for me to think.

Normally, I'm not one to believe in paranormal activity, but after goggling my situation, all of the results seemed to be linked to something paranormal. If it helps anything, I live in a 107-year-old house, that used be to a rooming house in the early 1900's. I've never experienced anything paranormal up until last night, and to be honest, I'm not entirely sure it was even paranormal. Regardless of my suspicions, I need help in deciphering what happened.

Thank you for reading.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, leighdrinkstea, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

suicidewoman (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-25)
it also happened to me and I would like to believe its some sort of sleep paralysis but I's not. It happened to me twice. I never even did fall asleep, the pressure comes with a lot of noise tearing me out of my body. I have never been so clearly consious. My body hurt like hell, then I couldn't move anything. I couldn't breathe, fighting had no use, something pulled me to the ceiling, I thought I was dead and going to hell because that was the most freaky real life thing that can happen to anyone. People were screaming in my room like crows, the sound went through my whole spirit, this was hell. It was like being raped but much intenser, like you don't even have you anymore because something is playing with your soul, taking all of you and that's a feeling that cannot be explained. I felt raped & robbed of myself, fell in a deep depression afterwards, like a plant, it had taken all of me. The nights after that 'it tried' to get to me again but I have to react immediatly, if my spirit is strong these things don't overcome me anymore. I would like to believe its a form of paralysis, in a way it is I guess, but the world shown to you is real! I know it is, never in my human body is it possible to have an experience like this, seeing things from real close when I'm a mile away, I know I left my body. It's an experience that teached me I shouldn't lose my faith. It woke me up, the devil does excist, I felt the presence, the pain, the love of the lord pulling me back, giving me another chance, I'm scared for people who throw heir lives away, do we get a second chance after selling our soul? There are so much people stuck there, yelling and screaming... Forever?...
soul (1 stories) (54 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-01)
It certainly was an REM.

THANKS FOR THE GREAT STORY.

TAKE CARE. LOVE TO YOU. ❤
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-27)
Have to agree with both comments. Sleep paralysis can be very frightening but when you realize what is happening you will be better able to cope. It's just that your mind is waking up faster than your body. Half sleep or twilight sleep is a weird time for us mentally. Hard to decipher what is reality and what is dream state when that happens. For some its a sleeping disorder. For others it can be a one time thing. I have never had it happen but I know many who have had it happen and more than once.
Confused (3 stories) (29 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-27)
To elaborate on what laniparis said, when a person enters REM sleep the body is paralyzed. The brain does this so that a person does not act out his/her dreams and hurt him/herself, or others. People who wake up during REM remain paralyzed for a short while, and often report "feeling a presence" in the room. This leads to anxiety, which could account for the shortness of breath.

I am not at all denouncing what you experienced, I am merely offering a "logical," rather than "paranormal," explanation for what could have happened.

Thank you for sharing your story with us.
laniparis (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-27)
Wow, you're so brave, if that had happened to me I would have freaked out something chronic... Other than a paranormal explaination all I can offer you is maybe your body was entering REM (rapid eye movement) so your body was getting ready to fall asleep and you were half way in between awake and asleep... Hope this helps

Thanks for sharing too

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: