You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: More Footsteps And A Strange Light

Real Ghost Stories

More Footsteps And A Strange Light

 

During the winter of 2003, I experienced something very strange, and somewhat frightening. I was spending Christmas with my grandparents, at their Kansas farm house. My grandparents had recently renovated the upstairs, and my grandma wanted me to be the first person to sleep up there. I agreed to sleep upstairs, but I soon regretted it.

The first night I slept upstairs I was woken up by the sound of somebody walking up the steps. The steps were very pronounced, almost like my grandpa was walking up the stairs with his hunting boots on. I rolled over and listened to somebody walk all the way up the stairs, and then walk down the landing toward my room. But instead of somebody coming into my room, I heard somebody start walking around the bedroom across the hall. I instantly found this strange since that room could not be walked in; it was filled from wall to wall with boxes and random pieces of old beds, tables, and chairs.

I was woken up by these sounds every night at around three in the morning. I asked my grandparents if either of them had gone upstairs during the night, and both told me that they had not been out of bed.

During that same winter I saw what my grandma calls "The Spook-light."

My grandparents' house had a "den-like" room between the kitchen and the living room. This room had a big wood heater, a desk with some chairs facing the window, and some couches. My grandma and I would often stay up late to sit by the fire and just talk. We would turn all the lights off and sit at the desk, looking out at the pasture on the south end of the house.

I remember that this particular night was very clear, and very cold. I was looking out across the field when I noticed a red light moving through the trees at the far end of the pasture. This light was high in the tree tops, bouncing around. Soon it started to change from red to blue to green. Then it split into two separate lights that seemed to be chasing each other through the trees. After a few minutes, the lights converged back into one and shot out across the field, toward the house. I could see the colors of the light reflecting off the snow which covered the pasture.

My grandma and I were so stricken by this that we woke my grandpa up and asked him to check it out. He grabbed his flashlight and told me to get in the truck. We drove down to where my grandma and I had seen the light and looked around. There were no footprints in the snow on the ground, and the snow that was piled on the branches of the trees had not been disturbed. We could find no explanation for the light.

The light, coupled with the footsteps at night made for a very interesting, and frightening winter.

Other hauntings by Confused

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Confused, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

FormerSkeptic (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-08)
I like your story, I've had a very similar experience to yours with the footsteps coming upstairs only to find no one there, VERY pronounced sounding just like a person coming UP the stairs to my room, never been so scared in my life, thank God I didn't see anything!
By the way, the house this happened to me at is located in Topeka, what part of the state is your grandparents house? Thanks
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-30)
That would be really neat if you could get some photos of the lights or record them on camera. Maybe if you go up there again in the winter you might try to catch whatever it is walking up the stairs by placing a videocamera in the hallway that has night vision setting. That's what I would be doing.

-Sydney ❤ 😊 ❤
Confused (3 stories) (29 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-30)
yes, I still heard the footsteps, and my grandma has been seeing those lights for going on six years now. She barely even notices them anymore
Hopeful23 (12 stories) (93 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-29)
Wow, what an interesting story. After you saw the lights did you ever hear the footsteps again? Perhaps the lights were the spirits leaving your grandparents' house. Thanks for sharing!

-Hope

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: