You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghost In The Machine

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost In The Machine

 

A few interesting things have been occurring in my home the past month or so. If you are not familiar with my home, I suggest reading my two previous accounts. Victorian Flat Two and Victorian Flat Three.

With that said: In August I noticed some strange things happening here. Currently my fiancé and I are looking to break our lease. Not because of the strange activity, but our neighbor that moved in around June. She is loud, rude and trashy. A rant on her is best saved for a different forum.

1. In August my Bridal Shower took place. I received quite a bit of kitchen appliances. One of them was a new coffee pot. To say I was excited was an understatement. I've been using it every day since receiving it. Someone or something seems to like playing with it. I'm sure most of you are aware of the water reserve in coffee pots. There is a flap in the back you lift up, pour your desired amount of water, close it and begin the brewing process. I ALWAYS flip the lid down after pouring. I started noticing the lid would be up after coming back for a second refill. At first I chalked this up to my own error, so I began double-checking to put the lid down and unplugging the pot (I thought maybe the heat/steam was making the lid pop up?). It continued. About every other day, I'd go in for a refill or just into the kitchen and it would be flipped up. I then started unplugging the pot and pushing it underneath the end kitchen cabinet. I thought surely there wouldn't be enough room between the bottom of the cabinet and the lid for it to pop up. Nope. I have no idea how it is physically possible, but the lid continues to be up even when underneath the cabinet.

2. We have a microwave that is less than a year old and we purchased it new. Two weeks ago it went off in the middle of the night. I thought it was a power surge. When I got up to see what was going on, it was flashing, "end". I'm not sure if you're familiar, but when a food item is done cooking in there it will flash, "end" in the digital display. I found this odd. There was no storm or high wind that night. It happened again last night.

3. Finally our dryer. We have a washer and dryer. My fiancé never touches it. I won't let him near either machine (I'm a little anal about laundry). Like most dryers, there is an option for an alert sound when a cycle is finished. I have NEVER used this option. The dial has been set on "off" since we purchased the machines (once again, they are less than a year old and brand new). Yesterday, the dryer sounded the alert for the end of the cycle. The dial was turned to the "on" option. I of course questioned my fiancé. It wasn't him. He informed me he "knows better than to go near the dryer". I believe him. There was nobody else in the home. Just the two of us. The BEAST (as I like to call her) upstairs was not home, nor does she have access to our part of the house.

These could be nothing. Just "ghosts in the machines" but I find it odd and thought I would share. Thank you for comments and questions and have a great day.

Other hauntings by hobbyholly

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, hobbyholly, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-01)
angelfeathers:
Congratulations to you! It takes a lot to raise a teenager.

You know that is a good idea. Tapping down the lid...I might try that tomorrow morning.

No other glitches. Just the microwave and dryer.

If anyone is under stress at the moment, it would be me. Planning a wedding, looking a houses, trying to find a new tenant, oh and this thing called job hunting...yeah a lot on my plate. Not to mention the stress of a obnoxious neighbor.

I'll try the tape thing and let you know how it goes.

Side note: isn't it funny how odd things can happen when watching ghost related things on t.v? Hehe
angelfeathers (106 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-01)
Hi Hobbyholly,

Congrats on your impending nuptuals! What an exciting time in your life! It's a shame that your neighbor is being so difficult.

A couple of questions:

1. Have you tried taping down the lid to the water reservoir?

2. Besides the microwave and dryer alarm, have you had any other electrical "glitches" or anomalies?

If you'd indulge me for a moment, I'd like to share a similar experience I had:

Shortly before the birth of my elder son (who turns 17 today, by the way!), my husband and I moved into a new construction home. One night -- while Hubby was 1,000 miles away, visiting his dying grandfather -- I experienced a MAJOR electrical anomaly, involving the stereo, TV, table lamp and kitchen overhead lights. Over a period of about two minutes, they would blink off-and-on, both in sync (simultaneously) and alternately. There was no pattern to it. It was completely random. I sat in stunned silence for what seemed like an eternity before phoning my husband. I don't know what good I thought he could do from such a great distance; but as soon as I had finished telling him what was occuring, the event stopped. The appliances all went off for about 5 seconds, then everything went back to the way it was before the "show" started: table lamp and TV on, everything else off.

Ironically -- or perhaps not -- when the anomaly began, I was watching a TV show on ghosts!

Anyway, here's where I see the possibility of overlap:

I was experiencing a significant amount of stress due to life-changes - the upcoming birth of my first child, the impending death of my husband's grandfather, and a move into a new home. Similarly, you're preparing for big life changes -- your wedding and, probably, a move to another home.

My feeling is that the stress in your life has something to do with these latest incidents. Not to say that this is, necessarily, self-induced poltergeist activity. But perhaps, the increased anxiety in our lives "attracts" the energies -- maybe spirits, maybe not -- that cause these occurences.

Anyway, thanks for indulging my trip down memory lane. I wish you the best and hope that your troubles are resolved soon!

A.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-01)
Lovepink: I have no idea what the deal is with coffee pot. I've been unplugging and pushing it under the cabinet. There is not enough room for that lid to flip up...yet it seems to be doing it.

I don't know if it would be a child spirit. Possibly. The house has quite a bit of history. If you read my account Victorian flat 2, it explains some the original owners/tenants.

And yes, our neighbor has been quite the topic with our L.L lately. The problem is, there is little to no soundproofing in the home. I believe the used very cheap carpet (and no padding) up there. She is one of those people who feel the need to walk on their heels and not their whole foot. Not to mention her tramping in at 5am (with even louder friends) during the weekday. Honestly, my fiance and I are just ready to buy a home and no longer be "slaves" to the neighbor.

Preeti: Prior to her moving in, I noticed other things (which are mentioned in my story Victorian flat 2). She moved in around June 09'. The appliance problems started around August 09' after my bridal shower (hence the new coffee pot). I still have paintings falling off the shelf now and then. I haven't heard shuffling in the hallway, seeing as I've been wearing earplugs at night and popping Advil PM (which I'm hoping I do not become dependent on)
Preeti (100 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-01)
i would like to ask you is it happening after that BEAST 😜 came...i mean is it that you have noticed now? Or is it happening after her entry?

Would like to know about it...
Congratulations my friend...

God bless you ❤
L0VEPiNK07 (1 stories) (47 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-30)
but if it was electrical, how would the back of the coffee pot keep popping up? Maybe it's a mischevious child that used to live there. Sounds like something a kid would do.

Have you mentioned your crappy neighbor to your landlord? Maybe you can get her kicked out. Haha mean, I know, but I wouldn't want to move out of a place like that if I loved it as much as you obviously do.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-29)
It IS a very old building. I'd say built in the late 1800's/1900's. The Landlords however, have kept it very well.

I've continued to keep the coffee pot unplugged after its done brewing. The dryer...well that is a little hard to do. I might unplug the microwave at night before bed perhaps.

Fingers crossed about breaking our lease. Its a shame...I really love this apartment
miso_curious (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-29)
Hmm. I would say if these "glitches" were only occuring with one of your appliances that maybe it was something electrical, after all, it's a very old building, right? However, since all three are acting up I'd say that there's a definite possibility that it's something paranormal. Maybe if you tried unplugging all these things when they're not in use, you could see if anything was still happening? There's always the theory that spirits use electricity to try to manifest, so I wonder if that's what's going on...
In regards to the crappy neighbor, I've been there, and I hope you can break your lease. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: