You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: My Golden Retriever: A Man's Best Friend Or A Sensitive?

Real Ghost Stories

My Golden Retriever: A Man's Best Friend Or A Sensitive?

 

I received my Golden Retriever, Rusty, as a present for my 7th Birthday. Quickly, she became my best friend and could read me like a book; she knew when I was having a bad day, and knew exactly what to do to. She was always there to protect me from strange, odd noises we heard in our house and other dogs that roamed the neighbourhood She grew up with me, and helped me survive through junior high, my first break up, and the other obstacles I had to overcome through my teenage years.

In the beginning of my senior year, she was diagnosed with kidney failure. The hardest thing that I ever had to do was euphonize her, and I was devastated for weeks. I had truly lost a best friend that I will never forget. However, Rusty was not only special for the obvious reasons; I truly believe that she was able to sense the paranormal activity that has existed in our house since we built it.

As a single mother, my mom had to work two jobs to make ends meet. After her first job, she would bartend from 6 pm until at least 1 in the morning, leaving me home by myself. There would be many times that Rusty would stare at our door, with her ears perked up. Since this freaked me out, I dismissed it as a cat in our garbage or a neighbour arriving home. However, her reactions to the activity became unexplainable.

When I would sit on my couch, the same spot every night, finishing up my homework or reading, she would occasionally sit right in front of me, and look directly above my head. Sometimes she would just stare at it, but other times she would growl. When I would turn around, there would be nothing there, or nothing that would catch her attention, like a glare. I tried my best to ignore it, but I couldn't help but wonder if there was something in our house that shouldn't be there. Also, there was one spot, right above our computer desk, that she would do the same thing to. Although this was enough to make one paranoid, there was more to come. Also, my dog hated my room upstairs. She followed me around everywhere, but that is one place she would not go.

I myself had experienced activity in there and rarely ever sleep in it. Being in there by myself makes me feel anxious and paranoid because of the things I have experienced, and it obviously did the same thing to my dog.

My cousin, who was very sensitive to paranormal phenomena, was hanging out with me one night. I was explaining what was going on to him and how it was creeping me out. He asked me, "What would you think if there was someone behind you?" I responded, "As long as it's someone I know, I don't really mind." At that point, Rusty looked above my head and began to growl. I didn't know how to react and still don't know what to think of it four years later.

My Pomeranian and four cats do not seem to sense the same things as Rusty. It makes me wonder...what made her so sensitive and special? Was there something about the closeness of our relationship that made her experience these things? The experiences that I shared with you are only the tip of the iceberg of what I experienced in my own home, but these few have effected me the most.

Any mature comments would really be appreciated.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, kiralynn26, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Caninecrew (1 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-10-16)
First of all I want to apologize because this is a long comment, but hopefully it will be much appreciated by kiralynn26!
I definitely think that dogs not only can sense things but can also in some ways help protect you. My girlfriend and I moved into our new house about 2 years ago. We also have 4 dogs (3 beagles and one rottweiler/pitbull mix who also thinks she is a beagle LOL.)

Just a couple weeks after moving in, some scary things started happening. For example, I started hearing what sounds like a small child playing and laughing in our spare bedroom. Not only would we hear this inside the house, but we could also hear it when we are in the backyard (spare bedroom is in the back of the house.) Now this is also the same room where we sort and fold all of our laundry. One day I was home alone and folding laundry when all of a sudden a huge burst of cold wind blew by me. It wasn't like when the air conditioning turns on and blows a burst of air... This was so hard it almost blew my hat off. Pretty freaked out, I went to go see if maybe in fact it was the air conditioning/ventilation system that had done this. When I walked to the thermostat panel and looked, it was still TURNED OFF. I checked all the windows and doors, everything was CLOSED and LOCKED. Now being that I had dealt with some weird/paranormal types of experiences when I was kid, I learned how to ignore it and not let it scare me too bad. However, the same thing happened to my girlfriend when she was home alone. She of course was freaked out and refused to stay home alone for a couple of months.

We hear the voices all the time and by now my girlfriend has as well learned to ignore it and go about her day. The occasional air burst still sends chills down ours spines, but we keep going about our day. In recent months, we have been experiencing something new and it has been affecting our dogs as well.

In the same spare bedroom where we have had our previous experiences, we have a tv. One night, me and the girlfriend had just got into bed and had been laying there no more than 10 minutes when all of a sudden the tv in that room came on with the volume on full blast! Needless to say, it scared the crap out of us and the dogs because they were barking and growling. So I jumped out of bed and ran in there and turned the volume down and then turned it off. What was weird was that this tv has cable, however, only white snow was on the tv. At first I thought maybe this was just a power surge and shrugged it off. I got back in bed and after us and the dogs had finally started to relax again, the tv turned back on with the volume on full blast again. Again the dogs were going crazy. At this point I was pissed off and thought maybe someone had broken into the house and was messing with us, so I grabbed my handgun (I'm a police officer) and I searched the house expecting to find an intruder. All doors and windows were still locked and the alarm system had not been activated. After a complete search of the house with the dogs next to me, I went back to the room and turned the tv off and UNPLUGGED it from the wall. A little frazzled from the incident, we finally relaxed again and went back to sleep. A couple hours later after we had fallen asleep, the same damn tv turned on for a third time with volume again full blast. We were terrified because we both knew that I had unplugged the damn thing from the wall. That was the last straw for me so I got up and took the tv and left it on the porch (this was a cheap tv, not of any real value).

Since the tv incident our keys, cell phones, and wallets have been ending up in strange places (we always put everything in the same spot everyday.) Frequently in the middle of the night all of our dogs start growling/barking at nothing and pacing in our living room. Sometimes I get up and check just to make sure there is no one in our house or outside the house, and of course there never is. It has gotten to be pretty irritating, however, it gives me piece of mind knowing that the dogs are here and alert us as to when they feel that something isn't quite right.
kiralynn26 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-08)
I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for your condolences. She certainly was overprotective, and what a lot of you are saying definitely makes sense.

Lovepink07: no, he never told me because he knew how scared I was to be in my house by myself... He didn't really want to confirm my suspicions to make it worse. Also, since Rusty past, we haven't moved anywhere... My family and I have been in the same house for 15 years.
jeepgrl16 (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-07)
I'm sorry for your loss.I had a pet cat called Whiskers, that was like my sister that passed on. Whiskers was special too.
When my mother was pregant with my little brother, we would ask her if the baby was going boy meow once,if the baby was going to be a girl don't meow and she meow. We would swich how many times she had to meow for a boy or girl.also, Whiskers would comfort me when I was afraid of the dark by sitting on my bed until I fall asleep. Every now and then I can feel her jump on my bed and stay there.

Sorry for typing this much! 😳
God bless
Joojoodolly (1 stories) (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-07)
Rusty must have really been special, and I'm sorry she isn't there anymore. But, I read another story called 'dogs watching over me', and you know, she might not be there physically, but she could still be watching over you.
justin102798 (9 stories) (96 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-06)
I'm sorry for your loss. Your dog did have something special...Most dogs can sense the living dead but don't see them always.rusty is probably still spiritually linked to you.And your cousin probably saw a person behind you when your dog started growling. 😁 😭
rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-03)
I'm sorry for the loss of your beloved pet. I truly believe that dogs can sense things we cannot, and I think Rusty was so protective of you that she payed more attention to the paranormal things she saw. The fact that she wouldn't go into your bedroom is really creepy. That must have been the center of the paranormal activity.
L0VEPiNK07 (1 stories) (47 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-03)
I agree with fuchsia, she was looking out for you.

Did your cousin ever tell you who was behind you? Did he confirm any of the paranormal activity in the house?

If you're living some place different now, or the same one you had rusty in? If you're living some place different, there may not be any paranormal activity for your new cats and dogs to pick up on.
Fuchsia (5 stories) (64 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-03)
I think that perhaps your closeness made her overprotective of you, which also made her sensitive to anything she perceived as a threat. You're lucky to have Rusty by your side!
Fuchsia (5 stories) (64 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-03)
It's never easy to have your pet euthanised. I guess our 'babies' (pets) know when they are loved, hence it is just as difficult for them to leave as it is for us to accept their loss. Blessed be! ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: