You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Basement Encounter

Real Ghost Stories

Basement Encounter

 

It was October in the mid 1980s and I was still living in a very old (built in 1889) home in Chicago. The neighborhood kids volunteered to help me put together a yard sale so we were all in my basement rummaging through old stuff to sell. As I was standing at the laundry sink washing some old dishes for the sale, the broom next to me started to hit my left arm. It hit me three times! When I realized what just happened I started to scream. The kids by now were all scared out of their wits by my screaming. Then I asked where the dog was who had been in the basement with us. She was found in the back of the basement tied up to a cabinet with some telephone wire but nobody knew how she got tied up since all of us were busy in the front of the basement.

After that incident, the kids never would go back in my basement again. I ventured back in but never felt comfortable while down there again after this happened. There was always a feeling of a presence down there.

The house was owned by one family from 1902 all the way to 1968 (the Westergards) just being passed down from one family member to another. Looking back I now realize that there was a lot of activity in that house most especially around Halloween.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, EnergyTwinkles, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

EnergyTwinkles (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-08)
Hello Soul and Ramzey -- thanks so much for commenting. I agree that these entities did enjoy seeing us scared. I have no clue who was haunting the basement. The former owner of the house was a much kinder presence in that home -- Old Man Westergard. He had lived in my (or should I say "his" house), from his birth to his very old age. My name is Judy and I came to find out from a long-time neighbor, that Westergard's grand daughter was also named "Judy". Coincidence? Westergard, I also heard, loved to wear jewelry. My jewelry was always disappearing in that house. But he was kind of like a Guardian Spirit - he always seemed to be helping me and watched over me. Once a gang member attempted to set fire to my house at 3 AM and for some unknown reason a neighbor was awake and looked out his window and saw it and called the police. Again, I was mysteriously saved from potential disaster. Westergard definitely never left that house -- I could always feel his was around. Since I moved in 2006, I miss him. As a ghost, he was great company! Lucky for me, the house I live in now in Michigan has a very benevolent spirit as well. I could never live in a house with a vicious spirit - I would go crazy. Thanks all for reading my story -- I will wrote more because there is a lot more to be told.
soul (1 stories) (54 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-08)
Write the other stories. You are a good writer. I am interested to know more. 😊
soul (1 stories) (54 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-08)
Wow great story! Whatever was in the house didn't want being disturbed, so for that reason it hit you with the broom and tied your dog as dogs can feel and see entities like that better than humans.

Take care! 😊
Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-06)
Thanks for sharing your story, it's interesting! Sounds as if those entities are strong and I can almost assume they fed off the fear they recieved from scaring you all. Maybe, maybe not. Either way, take care!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: