You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: I Think I Saw My Cousin's Doppelganger

Real Ghost Stories

I Think I Saw My Cousin's Doppelganger

 

Although this experience happened many years ago I just have been thinking about it lately and wondering if what I saw was in fact a doppelganger. This happened to me when I was about eighteen I am now almost twenty four.

At my grandparents home my mom was holding their surprise 50th anniversary party. The whole family, friends were going to come soon. Since the party was being held underneath a huge tent my parents my two sisters my aunt and my two young cousins were all outside getting it ready they were all in the tent except for my one cousin Jonathon he was playing a video game in the back bed room. I did not know this at the time. I was inside decorating a table where the cake was. My grandparent's house had a long ramp that goes out to the yard where the tent was. I was walking down the ramp and I saw my cousin Jonathan he was about nine at the time I looked at him and said "what are you doing brat" he just looked at me and smiled this evil smile and then ran back down the ramp to the tent.

After I saw him I turned around because I forgot the gold glitter table scatter which I needed to bring to the tent. When I walked into the house my cousin came down the hall way with his game boy advanced in his hand getting a drink. I asked how did you get in here past me so fast, you just went into the tent. He told me I was stupid of course he is nine and he told me that he had not gone outside since he came to my grandparent's house because he needed to get to whatever level on his game.

After this I thought well maybe I was just seeing things but my cousin has huge brown eyes I know that this boy was him there was no other young boy there as my family has a lot of girls. I also know for a fact that I saw him go down the ramp the table I got the gold glitter off of was just inside the door. I am 100% sure that it was not my cousin. When it was happening I wondered why when I called this boy who I thought was my cousin he did not say anything. My cousin would have a smart or at least a swear word to say to me. The look on his face was just so weird and kind of evil. I mean I will never forget it.

I also think it is important that I include that the house this happened to me in is where my grandparents live was my great grandparents they used this home for there escape from city life. My great grandmother HATED this house she would never go with my great grandfather when he wanted to get out of the city.

One time he convinced her to go and she was brushing her hair in the mirror in the bedroom in the mirror she saw my grandmother wearing a yellow nightgown she looked behind her and saw it in real time not just in the reflection she blinked and she was gone. My great grandmother called my grandmother right away the scary thing is that my grandmother was in Maryland when this happened and my great grandparent's home was in Virginia there was no possible way she was there. My grandmother also said she never owned a yellow nightgown.

I just wonder if it is that house or just the individual people. I don't know my grandparents still live in that home which is built on land that has great civil war history. I mean we always knew the home was active with paranormal happenings. I just wonder if anybody could offer some advice or explaining it.

Other hauntings by GlamGirl

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, GlamGirl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

HardToScare432 (1 stories) (72 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-28)
Demon. Demon D-E-M-O-N I've done research and read lots of stories about myths, creatures and apparitions. And I am sure what you, and people who are commenting, saw was a DEMON
NanaBanana (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-09)
I saw my brother's doppelganger when I was younger. It was in the reflection of a TV that was turned off. The figure was sitting outside the living room and when I went closer to the TV set to try to see it clearly (since I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me), it turned around and gave me an evil smile. Its eyes were glowing. My brother wasn't even home until hours later. But nothing bad happened to him around that time, that I can recall.
soul (1 stories) (54 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-08)
Did something bad happen to your cousin after you saw his doppleganger? Because if you see someone's doppleganger then something bad happens to that person.

Thanks for the great story! ❤
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-07)
The one that my friends and I saw didn't instill any fear in us at all. It was more of a curiousity, later of course, since we didn't know it wasn't the actual person we spoke with. The time shift thing was not a possibility since such events never presented itself before or since to repeat or fore see. Plus it was physical and spoke to us and had knowledge of its surroundings, us, and the events taking place in real time. If I ever saw my doppleganger I would definetly approach it and speak to it. First of all to make sure it wasn't just someone else who resembled me. Every since I started to go out to clubs I was told I looked exactly like a guy called snake. At first I thought they were calling me a snake and while I thought I could very well live up to the nickname at some point in the future I figured I'd been called worse. As I heard it more and more I figured out it was an actual person and he held some high position in his tribe. (I'm american indian) plus he got around. I had a few women come up and start talking to me assuming I was him. If after determining it was not a look alike I would have an infinite amount of questions to ask. It would be incredibly exciting to be able to question my own doppleganger. If nothing else to dispprove the people who have written books about their infinite wisdom on defining the laws of the afterlife and other unknowns. Because no one really knows. A true paragraph on the laws of the afterlife or the unkown has yet to be written. It's a journey to look forward to after the event horizon.
gaga (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-07)
This happened to me but my cousin was sleeping a the time when I saw him walk through the door, I even followed him but when he went into the next room he just disappeared.
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-07)
The term is derived from two German words: "doppel" and "ganger", which mean "double" and "walker" respectively.

A doppelganger is a term that describes a physical double of a living individual. Doppelgangers are believed to look exactly look like other people to whom they have no relation.

It could also be an evil "twin" of a person that goes around causing trouble. There are many different theories and ideas about the phenomenon. Some people consider it to be nothing more than an overreaction to seeing someone having similar physical features as someone else. There are only so many physical features that six billion humans can have, so it's not surprising that some people who never meet or have no relation look a lot alike.

However, there are others who consider doppelgangers to be something ominous. In some cultures, seeing one's doppelganger symbolizes death: if one should see his or her doppelganger, it could mean that he or she is going to die. If friends or relatives of someone should see that person's doppelganger, it could mean that the individual is going to experience a lot of bad luck and health problems in the near future.

Another theory is that a person's doppelganger *is* that person from a parallel universe or dimension, and that if the two versions of that person should meet, something bad will happen. One possible theory is that, should one meet and communicate with his or her doppelganger, the universe will collapse. Another theory is that both versions of the person will cease to exist.

A temporal doppelganger is a version of oneself that an individual may meet when time traveling. In this case, the doppelganger would look exactly like an individual did at one point in the past, or will look like at some point in the future. It's also considered a bad idea to approach the look alike. If time travel were even possible, many believe nothing good could come out of contacting one's own self at any point in time.

Whatever doppelgangers are or are not, most consider it to be unwise and bad to attempt to communicate with their own. Whether they are malevolent spirits taking on the form of a particular living person, an actual living person from a parallel universe, or just a random lookalike, nobody knows exactly what doppelgangers are. There has been a lot of folklore about them over the years, and many cultures have stories and theories about what/who they are and where they came from.
haterandloverofghosts (15 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-07)
I agree with vulcan10. Why would an "entity" impersonate a human while not accomplishing anything? I would like to ask, how did doppelganagers come about? Does everyone have a doppelganger? I they us from another dimension? Its just weird!
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-06)
I've experienced one too. I might buy the out of body thing if the person was asleep, but when they're awake and functioning it doesn't sound right. Why an entity (since I don't know the correct word for the thinking being it would take. Possibly fallen angel or alien entity) would choose to just impersonate a living person for such a short period of time and seemingly accomplish nothing while doing so doesn't make sense. There are many, including myself who have seen and heard such things. And if the live person has never and will never do the exact same thing in the exact location with the exact same stimuli, (i.e. Talking with another person conscerning real time events, or acting on such) then the time placement could not possibly hold up because it's assuming events and realities that never exist. Altenative realities are something I have considered, but the variables in such an event are so great that consider them is all you could do. In any case, it makes for good stories and interesting topics.
autumn_hestia (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-06)
I wonder how doppelgangers came to be... I saw my cousin's too, it passed by her while she was lying on the hospital's sofa but she didn't seem to notice... Isn't it bad when you come face to face with your own doppelganger? Thanks for sharing your story...:)
Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-06)
Explaining this is a bit impossible from the studies I have done in the paranormal field. Some sort of timw/warp/seperation of body/mind, hmm... I try to put all things together, but this is strange. I would suggest a basic paranormal investigation at the home and the grounds that surround it. I believe you, thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: