You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Not Attracting But Repelling

Real Ghost Stories

Not Attracting But Repelling

 

The date was January 1st, 2008. I had recently been babysitting my neighbor's children while they were out celebrating with friends. My older sister was also babysitting at the time, for a different family further down the road. At the time I was in the car with my mother, she hadn't even pulled out of the neighbor's driveway when she asked me if I would mind staying with my older sister while she babysat. I found this odd and asked my mother if she was too tired to babysit since the clock in the car read 1:13. Nervously she chuckled and informed me that my sister had called home multiple times begging for my mother to come up there since there was 'something in the house'.

Already my mom had been up to the house twice, and was not going up there a third time. To her there were no such things as ghosts and she trusted someone as brave as me to go. Truthfully she never told me any of the things my sister had experienced at the house that night but that she was 'hearing things'. My sister greeted me at the door with a lovely, "Thank goodness you came, this house is scaring the hell out of me!" I turned around to see if maybe I could turn back now and watched my mother drive away. I shut the door behind me and hung my winter coat upon the banister. While doing so my sister took the liberty of telling me everything that had happened.

The night had started off great, she had played with the two kids, one I believe 5-years-old and the other 3-years-old, and then put them to bed. The younger daughter had then gone to sleep right away, and later the son had gone to bed. After that my sister assumed it was just her job to watch TV and wait until the owners of the house got home. Never did she think that she might hear footsteps running around upstairs which is exactly what she heard. She told me that they were like the little kids running around upstairs and sometimes making their way down the steps. As soon as the footsteps hit the bottom step they would sprint back up to the second level of the house. My sister of course would go to tell the kids to go back to bed, but they would both be sound asleep.

Her second encounter was when she had stopped hearing the footsteps only to hear a shrill beeping break the silence. The fire alarms had somehow gone off and, thinking there was a fire, my sister got the kids out of bed and sniffed for smoke. She didn't smell anything and the fire alarms suddenly went off as if they were never beeping in the first place. I'm sure we're all aware that to shut off a fire alarm (or at least the ones in this house) you had to manually press a button on the fire alarm usually only accessible by a ladder since they were just out of one's reach. So how did they manage to start beeping and then stop without anyone touching them?

For the second time she had to tuck the kids into bed, both bedrooms upstairs. Then she went downstairs, curled up in a blanket and stared directly at the TV. Movement out of the corner of her eye distracted her moments later. She turned her head to the left to look out the window and saw a man's face staring blankly back at her. She covered her head with the blanket and checked again a few seconds later for the face and saw that it was gone. I came shortly after she saw that man's face in the window.

After hearing these stories I had wished that I had gone directly home after babysitting and not come to stay with my sister for the night. I took a seat on another couch and watched the TV with my sister. After a couple minutes the room began to get cold. Annoyed, I stormed over to retrieve my winter jacket and shot a nasty glare up the stairs at what I felt was a spirit. I put my jacket on, zipped it up, snuggled under a blanket, and put the hood over my head. Now all I could see was the television and no spirit was going to bother me for the rest of the night.

Just because I wouldn't let them bother me didn't mean that they wouldn't try though. Around 1:45 I saw colorful lights to the right of the TV. I turned to get a better look a realized that all of the 3-year-old's toys had gone off. All the sounds they made were playing and lights were flashing as well. A toy stuck out to me most was one of a little girl's voice singing some cheerful song. They abruptly stopped at once and my sister said nothing, obviously trying to do what I was doing and tune the activity out.

It was about the time the parents had told us they'd be home when my sister whipped her head in the direction of the stairs where I faintly heard 'boom, boom, boom'. Light footsteps were making their way down the stairs and my sister wasn't going to ignore them. She sprinted into the nearest bathroom and locked the door behind her. She only came out ten minutes later when the parents came home. I saw the funny look they gave me when they opened the door to be greeted by not one but two babysitters and then the look they gave me when they realized why. For the rest of the night nothing was said and that's how it remained. We didn't talk about it and we didn't want to.

A year later I went back to the same house to babysit by myself this time. I could still feel something, but was able to push it aside and ignore whatever it was. That night I was watching their television when I heard voices upstairs. The daughter still had one of those child monitors and I turned it on to hear her talking to someone. I could faintly hear the little girl's voice talking to nothing. When I went upstairs to ask her if she needed something, she was standing up in bed staring toward her bookshelf. That was all I experienced that night, nothing else really happened, though I could still feel a presence there.

Now I'll leave you with a question; is there such a way you can 'repel' spirits? Even though I could feel the presence of a being in that house a year after I noticed that it didn't bother me once while I was there. A year before it was a completely different story, it was like the spirit was trying to freak out me and my sister and get our attention. So what do you think? Did the spirit recognize me and realize that I would not be so easily scared or distracted by its attempts? You decide.

Thanks for reading,

-Hope

Other hauntings by Hopeful23

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Minnesota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Hopeful23, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-17)
your so brave aghost somewhat is trying to get my attention right at this moment is annoyingly touching my leg and taps on the walls countless times. Must ignore it God it pisses me off pardon my language but it startles me and makes itself known alot
mikaylaandchance812 (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-10)
do you think age has anything to do with spiritual presence? I have wondered this for awhile.
Hopeful23 (12 stories) (93 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-08)
LovePink07- She was tired as it was, and I really didn't feel like asking her. She seemed to have a 'caught-in-the-act' look on her face so I decided not to press her for answers. I know someone that is very interested in the history of this town, and perhaps they might know more about the subject (The man being murdered subject). However it may be hard asking him as I somewhat know him and cannot just go up and say, "Hey, so did you ever hear a story about a guy being murdered... Is it true?" I could see that person giving me an odd look.

Courtney- I didn't talk to the parents about it because on January 1st my sister looked me dead-in-the-eye when they came home and told me "Don't say a word about what went on tonight." As much as I was tempted to, I just couldn't bring myself to and left it alone. I don't know why, but I really haven't seen any signs that they are having a problem with this spirit, perhaps they've grown accustom to the spirit's antics?
L0VEPiNK07 (1 stories) (47 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-08)
I agree with everyone else that it probably recognized you. Did the little girl say what she was talking to the spirit about? Maybe you could find out that way if it were male or female, what it was doing there, etc. Then you could find out if it really was the man that was mugged under the bridge.
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-07)
reading your comment made me think of things I wondered about my whole life. The house I grew up in had only been built a couple of years, the prior owners were a young couple with two small kids who moved out of state. No one had ever died there and no murders occurred in our area that was ever spoken of. I had small experiences my whole life there. But it was so much of a daily thing, like hearing someone shuffle their feet down the hall and through rooms (we had deep shag carpet and if you've ever had it you can hear it plainly when someone shuffles their feet through it.) and while out in the den by myself I could hear whispers or things move and this one maccromie owl would swing back and forth or come off the wall and drop to the floor. You know, small stuff. I didn't feel like anything was trying to scare me, it irritated me more than anything when I was trying to watch tv. I've often wondered if some places were just high in spiritual or some other unkown energy. Nothing really sticks out as to the cause. Maybe everyone long long ago when mankind was a knew species could commune with spirits and feel energies and it was considered a normal thing. Maybe we've hardened our spiritual eyes and heart to such things and only a few through some genetic switch that was thrown at birth or some other external influence are sensitive. Who knows? There does seem to be something that effects a certain part of the population though.
courtneyOMGG (12 stories) (179 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-07)
Since you have said that story about the man, maybe it is him, maybe it isn't. Who knows.
I am guessing that because the first time you were there, you weren't scared, when you came back the spirit realised who you were and didn't bother to do anything.
Did you talk to the parents about what happened?
Do they experience things?
Take care.
C
Hopeful23 (12 stories) (93 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-06)
I've been living in this particular neighbor for practically all my life, vulcan, it was 13 years ago when I moved here with my parents. The house these people live in was built before ours, though only about 2 to 3 years before we built ours. No deaths have occurred but what I've been noticing is a sort of wandering spirit around the neighborhood. I've gotten squeemish feelings in my neighbor's houses some days and not others.

Something that may help to shine a light on this subject was a story that I forgot about. Now, I'm not a hundred percent sure if this is true, but back when the town was still young and they had recently built a highway they also made a bridge under that highway to get from one side to the other. Farmers back in the day used that tunnel to make their way into the cities to trade their goods and such. On one side of the tunnel is the main part of the town I live in and on the other side is my neighborhood.

One day a man was making his way through the tunnel (it's rather long and dark, I've been through there twice) when another man jumped him, killed him, and robbed him. I don't really know if it's possible that the man killed would be haunting our neighborhood as the is only something I've heard from a couple people and that I don't see how this ghost could haunt close to 50 homes. It's a long shot, but I felt I should share.
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-06)
I seriously doubt that anyone alive is to much of an expert on the spiritual realm, even though some on tv and in books making money would have you think they have all the answers. Most of the spirits you would encounter would be that of the fallen type and could not be counted on as truthfull. As to why it didn't bother you that much, maybe it knew you wouldn't be the squealer your sister was and wouldn't get the enjoyment out of you it sought. Who knows. I'd like to know what the parents that lived there experienced on a daily baasis and how they coped with it, or anyone who had lived there previously. How old is the house and has anyone died there? Also if you have lived in the neighborhood for any extended period surely you would have heard something. I think back to my childhood and my neighborhood. Us kids knew everything about our neighbors. Who fought, who beat their kids, who drank, who was kinky; even several streets away. People talk.
mrsmla4ever (3 stories) (53 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-06)
Hopeful23:

I believe that the spirit did in fact recognize you. In my experience, letting the spirits know your feelings is the key to co-existing with them. Since you let them know that you cannot be scared, they didn't want to waste the effort trying again.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: