You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Smart Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

A Smart Ghost

 

This isn't a scary ghost story, but it is a story of unexplainable occurrences and a ghost that disliked my step-dad as much as me. My mom bought a house after her divorce from my dad. The previous owner had died in her bed in that very house. We knew this because we lived in the same neighborhood that the house was in. Since this story is about a few different occurrences and not a horrifying haunting I will just tell you of the things that took place. Just so you know, I was about 15 or 16 at the time.

When we bought the house it was full of the previous owner's belongings, which we got rid of. We got rid of everything except for one item which my mom wanted to keep. It was just a small wooden magazine holder that we kept in the bathroom. Well, the events began with that bathroom light turning itself on any time of the day or night. This later spread to the hallway light doing the same thing except it would turn on or off. Nothing scary about that but it happened a lot so we know it wasn't us and I seriously doubt it was the wiring, but who knows?

One time I had started upstairs when the light turned off while I was half way through the hallway. No one else was home at the time.

Then, one day while my mom lay in bed very sick with the flu, she said that she thought my sister had come into her room and pulled the covers up on her body to keep her warm. The covers were pulled up but my sister and I both were at school at the time. My mom told us about this shortly after it had happened to confirm that neither of us had done it. Like I said, not scary but this ghost seemed to be caring and thoughtful as well as a prankster.

The next thing to occur was when my step-dad was grilling our dinner out on the back porch. To get to the porch you had to go through a sliding glass door. This house was fairly old and certainly dated. The sliding glass door had one of those locks that you push up or down to lock and unlock it. It was very difficult to get it to lock though. You had to push in real hard on the door while pushing the lock into place. It took a great deal of effort to get that door locked. Well, my step-dad had gone out to check on the meat and when he went to come back in the door had been locked. The rest of us were in the kitchen talking and hadn't moved. We were in full sight of the door from where we were sitting.

He got all teed off when this happened and blamed us but none of us had done it. I mean, there is no way we could have without him noticing, and for that door to just lock on its own was just out of the question. There is no way that the lock could have slid into place by itself. Then, after he brought the food in we were all still in the kitchen area and he was at the counter getting the food ready. As he stood there tending to the meat one of the cabinets swung open and whacked him in the head. We all saw it and we laughed, even though it was quite unexpected and startling. He couldn't blame this one on us, but he also didn't believe in ghosts. The rest of us had long since come to believe that we had a visitor in that house. And it was pretty obvious that she did not approve of my step-dad. Neither did my mom because she divorced him after only a year of being married.

So, that's it. Not scary but definitely things that took place of a paranormal nature. Oh, and this isn't spam just a suggestion. If you like paranormal shows on TV you should watch Ghost Adventures on Friday nights. It is by far the best ghost hunting show I have seen and I've seen all of them.

Thanks and take care.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, everlong, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

hmhurst (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-22)
hey even the ghost knew he was bad news wow maybe that spirit is smart.
Xurik_Andi (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-25)
mmmmm I love it! Haha made my day! I had a nice good laugh for once! Anyways, I'd say it's cool that you're from texas, but this heat is annoying! It's not being really nice at the moment. Anyways, I wish I had a ghost like that when my wicked biological mother comes over.
ally711 (20 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-20)
LOL cool story the ghost locked your step-dad outside and hit him with a cabnet. 😆 😉
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2009-10-24)
Wow.
I gotta say I full laughed at a few of the things you mentioned in this story. Partly because I was thinking "Now, is not Karma an equal opportunity teacher?" and partly as I have lived through a few of these same things you described (oh, the lock on the sliding door? Oh yeah, we STILL have that form of lock).
What I have always thought interesting is that it DOES seem as if the entities in our collective homes SEEM to have a sort of bond with at least one person in the home (or, AGAINST at least one member). To me (this is a personal thought, and perhaps one that will not be found in Net discussions) that would seem to point to the thought process that human emotion is what binds the being there.
Binds might be a strong word. What I meant was perhaps that is why they are there.
On the other hand, with such a small percentage of hauntings being of the Intelligent kind, it makes me wonder if the Residual being is replaying what it did to a LIKE member of a PAST family (and the current happenings just seem to "fall into place", "coincidental" same time/types of happenings).
Just writing out my own thought process there. Nothing more. But it DOES make me wonder.
Thank you.
everlong (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-22)
Oh, LOVEPiNK07, no we didn't know her. We lived about a half a mile from the house she died in and we eventually bought. We just knew that she had died in the house because we were told by the sellers. Also, where are you from in Texas?
everlong (1 stories) (26 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-10-22)
Wow! Thanks for all the nice comments. I really didn't expect to get many considering my story isn't really scary. I really appreciate all of you taking the time to write something and am glad you enjoyed the story.

LOVEPINK07, I live in Houston. I'm around the Kirby/Shepard area if you are familiar with Houston at all.

Joojoodolly, you're exactly right. The ghost knew my step-dad wasn't right for my mom or my family. And she was sweet as well.

EnergyTwinkles, thanks for the suggestions on the other shows. I just don't know if I have the BIO channel. I just have the basic cable set up but I'll look for it. And you're right about Ghost Hunters. I still watch it sometimes just to see what may happen. I will say that Ghost Hunters International is actually pretty good. But I still love Ghost Adventures over them all. I just wish they would sign them to do more shows.

Thanks again to everyone who commented. Y'all take care.
soul (1 stories) (54 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-13)
lol...that was a great ghost story... I like that ghost and its great sense of humour.

Take care. ❤ to you.
ghostlane (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-12)
Ha ha, I love that ghost. ❤
It's nice to hear a funny ghost story every once in a while.
EnergyTwinkles (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-10-09)
First time I can remember reading a ghost story that made me laugh! I love a ghost with a good sense of humor. And if your step-dad was a jerk, he well deserved a door slamming into his head. Thanks for a great story. By the way, of all the ghost shows on TV, I really detest the one called "Ghost Hunters" where those dumb plumbers try to debunk paranormal happenings by setting up a bunch of useless equipment, spending hours on site and coming out of it with a few EVPS. That show is by far the worst, dumbest show on TV -- I wish they'd stick to installing hot water heaters. What self-respecting ghost would make an appearance for those bozos in the first place? I agree that "Ghost Adventures" is much better. The BIO Channel also has some excellent paranormal shows. "Celebrity Ghosts" and "Haunted History" are both very good.
L0VEPiNK07 (1 stories) (47 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-10-08)
Maybe it was the old woman stating her opinion. Lol Did you know her? This spirit sounds kind of feisty. Lol obviously she didn't approve of him, and good thing it your mom got out early. Lol

Where abouts in Texas are you? I'm from Texas, too.
courtneyOMGG (12 stories) (179 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-10-07)
This ghost sounds lovely 😊
It's good to hear nice and funny stories on this site once in a while.
Take care

C
Joojoodolly (1 stories) (28 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-10-07)
Aw, that ghost sounded funny! But it sounded sweet aswell. Maybe the ghost knew that he wasn't right for your mum.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: