You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Farm House Haunting

Real Ghost Stories

Farm House Haunting

 

I'm actually writing into this to find out whether or not you all think there is something going on in our home. We live in a big farm house built in 1887 or 97 I can't remember exactly. I know for certain that there's been 2 people pass away in our home. One was the daughter of the family that owned the home before my husband's family purchased the farm in 1959. The funeral was held in our home. I've found old funeral (I call them invitations) cards stating the time and place of the funeral, and sure enough it is in our home. The other was my husband's mother, she passed away in 1992.

Anyway, my sisters in laws have talked of strange things happening in the home in the past before my husband and I married. They have spoke of others seeing ghosts in our home and saying that they'd never come back again. My husband is not a believer so he won't speak much of anything; he's also very inattentive so even if something did happen he probably wouldn't see it anyway.

A few years ago I saw a "puff of smoke" in the living room out of the corner of my eye. I turned around and nothing. Since our daughter was born in 08, there's been occasions that I go upstairs and her door is standing wide open when I know that I've shut it after putting her to bed. My bedroom door has done the same one other time.

Just a few nights ago my daughter was looking up by the entry door giggling and "talking" as if she's communicating with someone. My husband even looked over at me and said "what is she doing?" I will not sleep in our room alone; I just don't like the feeling. So if my husband is out of town I'm on the couch.

I just want to know what you all think... Am I just reading too much into things or is there something going on? If so how can I tune myself into it a bit more? Things I should be looking for?

Thank you all

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MrsHood, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-21)
such coinsidences in one place. I guess what they say is correct. There are no accidents. I've been reading a lot about near death experiences and also contact after recent death lately. I don't know why, I just seem to be coming across those books everywhere I turn lately, that and then end times books. Both are disturbing. Especially the contact afterward by apparently lonely or grieving spirits. I try not to buy into everything I hear or read but it's so sad to think of those passing on feeling like they have so much to make up for or other lonely reasons for trying to communicate to us. Reading what you just posted it doesn't really suprise me that there is something happening there. It sounds like you have a level head on your shoulders and will think before you act. I wish the best for you and your family and all of us in these times.
MrsHood (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-21)
Thank you for all your posts so far. I don't plan on using any occultic methods! I did want to add though that I'm looking into the history of the home further. I've discovered that the original owners name was Lee, which is my husbands name, and they had a daughter named Nellie (the one that passed away and the funeral was held in our home), and we have a daughter named Elli... Some things just make you think!

As for the door, there's nothing off balance. It has happened to my door one other time and with our door its one that is hard to open because the carpet is so thick. It opened halfway one night and scared me to death.
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-20)
Interesting story. I agree with Vulcan, I would use a recording device. I wouldn't think it is anything dangerous with what evidence you have posted. Some think just because it is a ghost it is dangerous, mainly because they are scared. In this type of haunting it could very well just be a previous owner or relative. Regardless, most hauntings are just people like you and me who have no body. 😆
Good luck and I hope we get to hear results of any evidence you might collect. ❤
NewsBys (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-20)
I'm no expert, but it does not sound dangerous. I'm sure it can be unnerving when you are alone.

I would suggest first making efforts to find natural reasons for the doors opening, etc before considering it paranormal. Sometimes it can just be that a door is hung off-balance, or a hinge is loose. Then when the catch does not close properly it opens due to gravity. That happened a lot in my grandmother's home, which was an old (100+ year) farmhouse. The house had settled and the settling warped the door frames slightly.

The best way to gather information might be to simply keep a logbook of events. Maybe there is some sort of pattern.

I would suggest a word of caution about the recordings. I read an article about someone who started doing recordings and got totally obsessed with it. They started to assume that sounds they heard, made by say the heat pump cutting on and off or the ticking of radiators as whispers and voices.
Hayle (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-20)
i agree with both brenttan and valcan don't use anything like a ouiji board and also I would recomed 2 leave a recording device and like vulcan said hear it with a friend or family member not alone you never kno how scary things can get. Keep us posted! 😁
brenttan (64 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-20)
I don't advise any occultic methods like ouija or seances or any such thing, like vulcan says. People who deal with such almost always end up getting more than they wish for. Just get a church to come over (their prayerful members who are strong in their faith) and pray over your house in the name of Jesus, and asking God to shine His holy light and guardian angels over your property. Have them bless the home pleading the blood of Jesus over the property. I wish you the best.
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-19)
I wouldn't have any seances or don't go trying to contact anything with a ouija board, you might get ahold of something you really don't want in your house. If you have some recording devices you might think of leaving them running while your around and while your out in the most haunted spots around the house, and then listen to them preferrably with a friend and maybe even over at their house as to not be influenced to see if you get anything. It doesn't sound like an active constant haunting if it even is one. Which is good since you have a young child in the house. I'd think about what you do in the future, as far as stirring things up that might better be left alone.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: