You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Shy Footsteps

Real Ghost Stories

Shy Footsteps

 

In January of 2000, our family dog died. My family had been living in this house already for about ten years, with never a strange occurrence. About two months after the passing of our beloved pup, while home alone during the day, I heard heavy footsteps upstairs. So I actually went upstairs to look and see if I had an intruder on my hands (silly me, I didn't even bring a weapon - I'd be sure to be the girl in the horror flick that runs upstairs instead of outside!) This house was huge, and I did an attic-to-basement search, even going so far as to check inside closets and under the beds. Now, as soon as I got to the stairway to go up, the footsteps stopped. Finding nothing curious, I returned to the living room and continued watching my TV program. About three minutes into this, the footsteps started again. So this time, thinking that somehow the intruder had eluded me, I snuck up the stairs quietly again, nothing. I once again settled on the couch, and from then on just ignored the footsteps that sounded whenever I was home alone during the day. Oddly enough, they never sounded at night.

Not too long after this started, I began to wake up in the night to see a shadow man stand in the corner of my bedroom, watching me sleep. Naturally it scared me, but when it never approached, I'd just go back to sleep. I'd never felt threatened by any of this, until one night I woke up to the sound of someone sneaking around in the attic (which was right above my room). After a while the noise stopped, and I snuck to my door to make sure that the attic entrance (one of those ceiling pull-doors) was closed. It was. I tip-toed back to bed, and went back to sleep after a while. When I woke up the next morning, my light fixture was disconnected from the ceiling and was hanging from the electrical wire!

I always kind of thought that while our dog was alive, she kept the spirit (s) away, although she'd never exhibited signs of seeing "others", and when she passed, they were then permitted to make themselves known.

Other hauntings by EireRaven

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, EireRaven, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Trudy82 (5 stories) (57 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-23)
...I would have completely freaked out if I heard footsteps in my house when I knew I was alone, and especially at night in the attic! I don't know how you fell back asleep! Even if it weren't a ghost, somebody breaking into my house is my worst nightmare... Literally I guess. I've had a lot of nightmares about that. Lol:)
EireRaven (3 stories) (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-22)
As you say, Hope, this was 9 years ago, and I've moved a bit since then. Although I still miss the dog I grew up with, I've since gotten two new monster-puppies, so I'm enjoying that!:)
Hopeful23 (12 stories) (93 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-21)
It seems now that your dog is gone a spirit has decided to let itself in. If they're going to ruin your possessions then you need to let this spirit know whose how it really it. Tell it to go away, tell it how you're not afraid of it and how it's your house, not theirs. Hang up crosses, sprinkle holy water around the house, have it blessed, do anything you can to get rid of these spirits.

It's always tough with the loss of the family dog, I experienced it about a year-and-a-half ago and I know that it took us some time before we decided to get a new dog. It may take you some time as well to get a new dog, which is why I'm not suggesting that to get rid of this spirit you need to buy a dog. I understand that you are probably still greiving. I'm sure there's a happy ending to this story though, since it took place 9 years ago, and would love to hear what happened after this took place. If footsteps are still going on, then try some of the suggestions mentioned in the first paragraph. Thank you for sharing this with us.

-Hope

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: