You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Brother's Haunted House

Real Ghost Stories

Brother's Haunted House

 

My brother went through a divorce. He stayed with my parents until he was able to get back on his feet. He bought a nice little house in the burbs. My brother is no nonsense kind of guy, and has been in law enforcement for about 20 years now. About a week after he purchased this house, my mother called me with some concern. She asked me if I would go over and spend the weekend at my bro's new house. She said that my bro was again staying the night at my parents. He would go to his new home during the day to do some work on the house, then come to my parents in the evening and spend the night. When my folks asked him if there was a problem, he said that he didn't want to talk about it.

I called my bro and told him I would be at his house Sat morning to spend a few nights, and help him with his kitchen renovations. He shot me down, but I insisted. So Saturday came and I went to the new house. I walked around the house to check out the yard, and noticed the basement windows had bars on them, which I thought a little odd, as it was a very nice neighborhood. Upon entering the home, I also noticed a new looking dead-bolt lock on the door that leads down to the basement. When I asked my bro about this, he said he had installed the lock himself, and quickly changed the subject.

My bro seemed kind of distant, and really not himself. We got to work on the kitchen floor. My bro cut away at the grout, as I removed the old tiles. My bro asked me to stack the tiles in the basement, as he would eventually have a dumpster brought in before replacing the old siding on the house. After removing all the old tiles, I decided to take a 10/15 minute ride to a local pub to buy some beer for the night. My bro wanted to take the 20 minute drive to our parents to grab some tools we would need, and food mom had made us.

I returned from the pub and headed for the basement to stack the beer in a small fridge we had set up down there. That is when I saw something that almost caused me to drop our beer on the stairs. The kitchen tiles I had stacked in a pile down there, was laid out on the basement floor, with the pattern almost identical to what it had been in the kitchen. I obviously figured my brother turned around in his truck, came back and did this, somehow. In the 20 min's I had been gone, I thought, there is no way he could have the time to match these tiles up to complete the pattern. I became very concerned for my bro, thinking the guy has really lost it. Why would he come back and do this, and where was he now?

I quickly called my parents house. My mom picked up the phone and said, yes, he was there, and just left. What is the problem? "No problem mom, just checking to make sure he made it there ok." Now I was in a bit of a panic. If my bro was there at my folks, no way he could have done this. I raced around the house checking every window, under every bed and closet. Everything was locked up tight, no one in the house. When my bro came back, I took him down the basement and showed him the tiles. "Did you do that?" he asked me. "No, I didn't do that, I thought you did." A look of worry crossed his face, and he began to tell me why he had been sleeping at our parent's house.

He said every night, he hears footsteps going up and down the basement stairs, almost pacing. When the footsteps started pacing around the kitchen and living room, he had enough. Now, at this point I was convinced someone was playing games at my bro's expense. I didn't believe in the paranormal, and thought someone was harassing my bro. So, we cleaned up our work area, sat down with some beers, and watched a Penn State game. Later that night, we went to bed. Only two minutes after I lay down, I heard footsteps coming up the basement stairs. No way had someone got in that basement from outside. No way! I listened as the footsteps went up the wood stairs and back down, several times. I was too scared to get up at this point. Now the footsteps were coming up, but this time they didn't stop and turn around at the top of the stairs. They went right through the basement doors, and started into the living room. They went around the living room and through the kitchen and started through the hallway, past my brother's bedroom door, stopped at my door. My heart was racing at this point.

The footsteps turned around and headed back down the hall. This is when I heard this loud groan. Like someone was very upset. The footsteps went right through the basement door again, and down the stairs. I jumped out of bed and opened my door. There was my brother peeking out his door, looking at me in freight. The footsteps stopped at the bottom of the basement stairs. I ran over to the kitchen, and grabbed a flashlight and hammer. Heading back towards the basement door, my brother is bouncing out of his room and putting sweatpants on at the same time, yelling to me, "Let's go! What are you doing?" Now, I'm scared, but still skeptical. It hadn't really registered at this point, that whatever was walking around, was able to walk right through the basement door. Thinking this could be a person, the one messing with my brother; I turned the dead bolt lock on the basement door, and open it. Shining a very weak flashlight down the stairs, the only thing I can see was a bunch of dust kicked up. I heard this loud thud, as if someone jumped on the bottom step, that's when I slammed the door closed, turned the lock and ran out the back door, behind my brother.

We ran a couple blocks to a convenient store to call out dad. There I was the middle of October, in boxer shorts and a T-shirt. Our father picked us up soon after; demanding to know what is going on. I told him some sort of wild animal got into the house, and we beat it out of there. He shook his head, clearly not believing the story. My brother sat in the back seat and remained quiet during the ride to our folk's house.

The next morning, while my brother was in the shower, I told our parents everything. My mom was very worried, and dad didn't believe it. So, me and my bro went back to his house with dad driving us. We all went into the house and looked around. Nothing was out of place. I showed dad the tiles in the basement, to which he didn't say anything. We gathered all of our tools, checked to make sure everything was locked up, and left.

My brother put the house back on the market soon after. He now rents an apartment, and refuses to buy another house. This was exactly a year ago, and my bro still isn't himself. He won't talk about it. I'm glad he decided not to stay, as he has young kids that shouldn't be exposed to this haunting.

Any suggestions, that might help my brother snap back into his old self, would be appreciated.

Other hauntings by Pjod

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Pjod, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MYTHBUSTER (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
Now' seriousely I believe your story pjod! Has that house been bought by somone or is it still vacant? Might be you can go down there and ask those folks just to convince your dad. About your brother' has he recovered from that experience or is he still hanging? Seriousely I am concerned!
Ibelieveinghosts (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-19)
Pjod, this is a very well written & very believable story. It seems that a great deal of stories on this website just sound fake & made up to me, but yours rings true. I have also had numerous paranormal experiences in my life, starting when I was a small child so I've always been a believer. I can't blame your brother for not wanting to talk about his experiences because people tend to not believe you & think you're crazy if you talk about ghosts. I've been through it before so I'm careful who I mention it to! I'm so glad I found this website where I can share my experiences & not be ridiculed or laughed at. Maybe one day your brother might want to open up & talk about it. Until then, I don't think there's much you can really do. Thanks for sharing your story! One of the best I've read on this site. 😊
dragonfly10 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-19)
I think that if you really want to help your brother, you need to approach this from a logical perspective. You said that he is very logical, if he could put this into logical terms that make sense to him, it could help. You should also be prepared for the fact that he might never accept what happened. At this point, knowing that you are there for him and that you are willing to talk to him about it or be quiet as the situation needs will go a long way in possibly getting him to open up about this.
I hope this helps.

Blessings of Light and Love 😊
Akemi (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-08)
thanks for sharing the story. Is your brother back to normal yet? If not, id love to give some advice.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-31)
pjod the thing with your brother not talking about it I do understand, its a guy thing and now that his moved out probably best he forgets about it anyway, I try to keep my own experiences away from my children, if they see there dad frighten its not good for them, that was a good story in a scary way if that makes sense thanks,
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-30)
yes, Kim. I was the ultimate skeptic before this night. I was not aware that renovation could cause a spirit so much unrest. After this experience, I did a lot of research before making the connection. I was sure this was a person harassing my brother, up until the last few moments before fleeing the house.
Ah, as far as the old man is concerned, a spirit could bite him in the arse, and he'd still have an explanation, outside of the paranormal. Stubborn Irish.lol.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-26)
Pjod,
What a frightening and, as you have mentioned, life altering experience (especially for your brother). I am certain you have probably heard this before, but it sounds to me as if someone is attached to that house and did not like the idea of anyone else settling there and especially dd not like the idea of any one changing anything about the house.

There are those who may not believe your story, as your father did not in the beginning. I say that unless we walk a mile in someone elses shoes, we have no right to place judgements of thruth or non-truth on anyone. Please remember this when commenting on others submissions on this site and others.

Thanks for taking the time to share this with us!

God Bless!
OnlyTruth (4 stories) (24 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-13)
This is a very interesting story. As for your brother, I would recommend talking to a priest. You should see if he has had any other similar experiences since he left the house, I know that demons/spirits can sometimes follow you. Good luck to you and your brother
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-30)
everyone on board, I recommend that website posted below by everlong. This victor zammit fellow has some very cool ideas... Making some sense of the paranormal.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-23)
everlong,
very cool website. I've learned a lot from only the 10 minutes I spent reading.
thankyou very much.
everlong (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-18)
Wow. Sounds like that really messed him up. I don't know if this would help but this is an address to a guy who claims he has proven there is life after death. It is a very scientific approach to ghosts and mediums. Maybe if he reads through it he'll come to realize that ghosts are real and that they are just a part of life like everything else.

Http://www.victorzammit.com
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-04)
Yes Kim, Irish Catholic
Out of my entire family, I have more of an open mind when it comes to these things. When I was younger, I used to follow a rock & roll band up and down the east coast, and only started to settle down when the lead guitarist died in '95. My brother, however, has always been a bit square, if you will. 😉 Until this experience, I never much thought about the paranormal, actually assuming there was always some explanation. When I later realized that same night, that those footsteps went right through a locked door, well, that turned my reasoning up side down.
KimCan (1 stories) (19 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-11-04)
Pjod, you sound like a wonderful brother!

My brother, sister and I grew up in a haunted house and the three of us have dealt with it very differently. My sister completely refuses to talk about anything paranormal and if someone pushes the subject she gets very upset. My brother has become obsessed with all things paranormal and has even joined a ghost hunting team. I, on the other hand, will never intentionally seek out these things, and one of my biggest fears is buying a haunted house.

Even though the three of us have responded to what happened very differently I feel like we have recovered from it because of our faith. I think that when you become aware that there is something dark and mysterious in the universe that may mean you harm it becomes even more important to remember that there is also a force of love in the universe that has the power and the desire to protect and help us. You mentioned that your brother is Irish, is your family Catholic? (I don't mean to stereotype but my family is Irish and just about everyone in it is Catholic.) Maybe you could go to Mass with him or encourage him to pray the rosary? Just my two cents.😉
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-03)
thanks angel and falcon
A stubborn irish cop, defines my brother rather well. Not sure anything I say or do would convince him to go seek help. Perhaps this is something he has to work out in his own head. I deal with it by doing research on the topic of hauntings, and by reading up on what others have experienced. Makes it seem more real, as now, after a year, kind of feels like a bad dream.
One thing I learned-- to be very cautious when buying a house.
angelboo424 (28 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-03)
I will make a suggestion for you, see if you can find a Reiki Master in your area, I am from NY but I do puppymill rescue in PA and know that there are a lot of people that do Reiki in PA. Have you brother go and explain what he has been through, and let him have a healing session that will also clear him of all the negative energy that he has picked from what he's been through. Reiki is healing through energy, love and light and it can be used to heal him emotionally and clear him.
You have to understand, he a cop and taught to be a clear rational thinker, this to him was neither clear nor rational and it's now making him question everything he was taught. Good luck!
bldfalcon (12 stories) (262 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-03)
Pjod, what a masterpiece. Is like a real life horror movie, with out the movie part. I never had those cliche moments that you see in movies, but I believe you. It's rare to find good stories in this site. Not to mention your brother is a witness to the whole thing as well. Usaully my stories I'm all alone. I never had any experiences with my friends around, so it's rare for me. But anyways good story, tell more.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-02)
I see this thread is quickly being pushed to the bottom. Was hoping for more feedback, as I'm at a loss on how to approach my brother-- I really think he needs to talk about this with someone who can help him get back to his same old used to be.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-01)
thanks for your comments
My brother won't talk of this, and has asked me to keep it all under my hat. I have tried to bring it up a couple times, just to have him go on ignore. This night has brought me into the world of the paranormal, as I was a regular skeptic before. I went and talked to a neighbor of his, while he was selling the house. The only thing she could tell me, was that the house was a rental, prior to my brother buying it, and that it had a rather large turnover of tenants.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-01)
Very weird experience! I would have been out of there after finding the tiles spread out in the basement just as they had been in the kitchen. Hopefully your brother will come to terms with this and get back to normal. Thanks for sharing!
mrdeagle (6 stories) (69 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-01)
Wow I read your story twice in disbelief. Probably the creepiest encounter I have read about on this site. I could hardy believe what you were saying!
Based on what you said your brother seems to be experiencing a bit of self doubt as to what he believes and doesn't believe. If he's a stand up guy who's into law enforcement chances are he doesn't fall for stupid tricks or pranks. He must be fairly intelligent. Maybe you should sit down with him and talk to him about it. Maybe he'll come clean about something he's been reluctant to talk about in the past, like an encounter he's been keeping secret. Sometimes when people see things they can't explain they refuse to believe it, to the point of keeping it to themselves and never speaking of it to anyone. It might make him feel better to tell someone that will believe him, which would have to be you, because you know he's telling the truth. Good luck man, and Happy Halloween.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: