You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Burly Man in my House

Real Ghost Stories

The Burly Man in my House

 

I have lived in the same house for about 15 years now and ever since I was young, my sister and I have encountered some strange experiences. I will share some that happened to me. The first time I became aware that the spirit was in my house I was 9 or 10. I had a friend over to spend the night and we were in the basement. I went upstairs for a reason I can no longer recall and on my return down the stairs, I fell. It was only about 6 stairs that I actually fell down, but I remember distinctly feeling hands on my back and a forceful push. As I lay at the bottom of the stairs, I looked back up to see if my sister or some had pushed me. I saw a figure, it wasn't exactly opaque nor did it have shape. It just seemed that in this area, the background looked less sharp, blurry. My friend came around the corner to see if I was okay. When I looked back to see the figure, it had disappeared.

The next experience happened a few weeks after being pushed down the stairs. I was home alone, and I went to the garage to get a soda. I walked into the garage and heard a strange noise coming from the attic. I listened carefully and decided that they had to be foot steps because the noise would move about in the attic. Curious I called out "Hello?" and then it stop suddenly for about a second. Then in what sounded like a burst of energy (or rage), the noise trampled towards the attic door. I ran back into the house and out the front door and refused to go home until someone else was there.

It wasn't until recently that the being in my house adopted a visual self (or maybe it was the first time I noticed). He is huge, if he were real he'd be 6'6 6'7, and 250 to 300 lbs. His body and face are all the same color, paper white and he has a full head of jet black hair. The first time I noticed him in this form was last summer, I came home from a late night of partying. While I fumbled with my keys to let myself in, something huge and white came and stood right in front of the door on the inside of the house, so I could see him in the sidelight windows. I screamed! I told him to leave me alone, and he slide off the opposite way he came. I rushed in my house and locked my bedroom door (like it would do some good).

He really likes to mess with people, especially me. He likes to steal things and move them. He really likes to inhabit electronics. One night, I had some friends over to the house and we were in the basement. We kept hearing loud thuds upstairs. I was a little scared, but I assumed that it was just a cat, only all the cats were out. I asked my friend Cody to please come investigate with me and he agreed. We went to the first floor and found nothing strange, so we proceeded to the second floor. We heard an alarm clock going off in my parent's room (it was around 9 at night, no reason for an alarm to have been set). What makes it really weird is that it was my mom's clock and it was doing the alarm beeps, but my mom only wakes up to the radio and her clock it set for that. We both thought it was really odd. I turned it off and went back to the basement. Later, after my friends had left, I was cleaning on the first floor, and out of the corner of my eyes, I saw him move across the hallway and he went through the door and out into the garage. I notice that on the closet door in the hallway, there was a coat hanger, and it was swing wildly. I called my friends and had them pick me up.

There has been many more experiences in my house, and I'm still not sure if the man is evil and there to hurt me or if he just likes to play jokes and scare me. Either way I ask him on a regular basis to leave me alone, sometimes it works, sometimes not...

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Nebraska

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

Querent (7 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-16)
I believe Ouija boards have psychological effects that can negatively damage your psyche, with that said as far as ghosts are concerned... We're seeing lots of details added about the ghost that could just be our individual perception, which I notice in your story that the ghost became more negative the more attention you paid to it. The theories about the ghosts identity cannot solidly be proven nor proven false. I play with tarot for example because it's a possibility otherwise harmless, but the cards I recognise as correct are a selective bias of the mind just as with ringing in our ears. People pay attention to certain times it rings but no others. I'm not accusing anyone of insanity, but considering I look at all other possibilities before reaching a conclusion I'm merely suggesting it could be something simply mundane as I've done myself. I accept criticism and If someone disagrees with my opinion.
JW (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-26)
Tantaga many expressions of gratitude for your answer. I'm a bit of a rogue with a rapier sense of humor, so when I say "dead dudes" I say it with tongue in cheek or body in coffin. Sorry--. I do know when to be serious when the right time calls for it. The dead know it too. I have a few notches under my Samurai belt in this arena.
Tantaga (8 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-26)
I ask my spirit guides for the information and they give it to me, if I am supposed to help or know something. Sometimes if I am supposed to see someone, I'll get mental images. It's difficult to explain, really :/ . If you wish to acquire information, you have to ask for it from them. Look into contacting your spirit guides and you'll find your communications with others beings increases as well.

While I am not acqauinted with necromancy, I can tell you that if you respect the beings and maintain a polite disposition, rather than demanding ... They are more willing to listen or share with you.

If your intent is to help someone or something, more often then not the information is entirely obtainable, but if you have anything in you that is motivated by greed, harm, or some other form of negativity you'll be shut off. So it is a bit of a buddha or more properly buddhist mentality where you go about in peace and expect nothing in return for your efforts.

Other times, you're just not meant to know so they don't share. Also stop calling them "dead dudes" ... Treat them like living people and they'll react better :) .

I hope that helps you a bit, JW.
JW (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-20)
Tantaga how did you look into it and how do you do that? How did you know what the dude's name was and if they're dudes? What's the name of the other dead dude? I'm into necromancy and those dead people and things never give me their names. Do you know why they don't? How did you get them to speak to you and get the name of that dude Robert? Is it like a Buddha thing? Being a curious investigator I'd say to Emma you might want to go down to the courthouse to check and see if Robert owned your house's property. Check with the neighbors about seeing if they are having weird stuff happening with them. People say the damnedest things to you when you start talking to your neighbors. Good story Emma. Keep this cast of characters here posted will ya.
Tantaga (8 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-20)
I've looked into it, and you do have a male ghost in your house. He has been there before your house was built and he apparently likes to wander between your home and those of your neighbors.

He is neither aligned with "good" or "bad" and is actually a rather neutral spirit, with the exception that he immensely enjoys playing tricks.

He is not out to hurt, merely to have fun in what he finds humorous, even if you do not find it quite as funny as he does. He is of the trickster type and he is actually rather protective of you.

I have to explain something very important to you in regards to your situation. He is not the one giving you the negative experiences. There is actually another type of spirit that is causing you the negative stress. He (the other spirit) was the one that has been being aggressive as you have mentioned here and in the incidents that you have not mentioned.

Although the other black haired male ghost may scare you sometimes by popping out visually, he isn't trying to ... He is just saying hello in his own way and trying to be funny. He certainly does have an odd sense of humor XD ... But he isn't dangerous. His name is "Robert" apparently.

The other man is what you have to worry about ... Or should I say not worry about as he can easily be dismissed if you address him. This negative spirit isn't actually from your home, but from your neighbors. Your neighbors aren't noticing it because they aren't attuned enough to do so, whereas you are more sensitive so it tends to come over and visit your home.

Anyway, to get rid of the negative spirit you need to tell it that, "I know you are NOT the ghost named Robert, I know you do not have the best of intentions, and most importantly you are severely violating metaphysical laws. If you do not cease and desist you know that you are going to be punished accordingly..."

Tell it to stop and to never return to your home or yourself again. Often times once a negative spirit is acknowledge as being there, it knows that it cannot stay any longer because it will be punished for any future occurrences. Lets just say that there are metaphysical police out there.

As for Robert, tell him that he needs to tone down his tricks and jokes because they bother you and that you wish to live cooperatively with him ... Not in a wonder of his next joke. He'll get the message and tone it down ... You'll still see him around, but he won't be playing his tricks as largely. He'll still move keys and stuff around though ... Because he finds that the funniest XD .

If you still need help, post and I'll try :) . Just know that you've got nothing to worry about once you address the negative spirit, for it will leave and that Robert is only trying to be funny.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-19)
Emma Dear, you are a very strong person this I can see from the way you handled yourself with Prophetess. She is what we call a doomsdayer, if you notice almost all over her quotes come from Revelations. She is not in fear of us going to hell, she is in fear for herself. She feels she needs to make up for the wrongs she has had done to her and the ones she has done to others. I feel nothing but empathy for her. I also agree with you that she is still a child and that she doesn't know how to keep an open mind. I am glad you deceided to stay with the site, it is always nice to have open minded opinions here.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Tyler (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-19)
This is a very interesting story. Have you ever tried to get rid of him or anything else? Be careful though, that ghost can get dangerous if you let him. This has happened to someone I know. My friend had this ghost in his house that moved things around. One day it got progressive. I was over at his house and we were watching T.V. And we saw the kitchen knives move around and one of them floated in the air and it got thrown at us and it hit my friend in the arm and he had to get stitches.
Tyler (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-19)
I didn't mean to sound so preachy on my comment, Emma. I'll just respect my beliefs and you yours. Fair enough? Anyway, I meant this web site is about ghost stories, not the paranormal. By the way, have any of you had any shadow people encounters? I think they are beings from another dimension.
Emma (3 stories) (39 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-19)
Hey Emma, this is another Emma. I don’t believe in hauntings by deceased people, but I believe in Jinns, which are the other beings (besides humans) that were created by God. They can be good or bad natured and live anywhere. Examples are fairies, genies, elves, gnomes, leprechauns, old hags, etc. Every culture has their own brand of these beings (coming in all shapes and sizes) and that is why I believe in them because they’re so engrained in our history through legends and tales. Ghosts (spirits of dead people), really don’t explain all the hauntings that I’ve heard about, but the Jinn explanation seems to explain it all. It is possible that this Jinn/ghost, just likes living in your house and doesn’t want to leave. If you feel fine with him there, then it seems like a win-win situation. I would ask him to respect you and not scare or try to hurt you. If he doesn’t, then tell him to get the heck out of there because he doesn’t pay rent! :)
Emma (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-19)
Thanks martin, I was starting to doubt whether I would ever visit this site again. I really liked this site and I would like to continue to share my stories with a community but that girl is making this site look like shiat. Yes there was no reason for her to harass me, and it was unacceptable. Thanks for the kindness...
Martin (602 posts) mod
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-19)
Emma, with any luck, Prophetess won't be back. Harassing the author of a story like that is unacceptable.
Emma (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-19)
By the way, me calling you evil is an opinion my dear. Do you know what that is? It is not a statement... So tell me again how I am a "lyer" (liar)? So in my opinion... Christianity is a creation myth... In my opinion you are an evil... Ahhhh opinion is a great thing. Everyone has one and you should know that if your going to change everyones by telling them they are going to hell right? Go look it up, oo yea and grow up
Emma (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-19)
Did I mention that this is SUPPOSE TO BE ABOUT A GHOST STORY NOT YOUR RELIGION. You must be the impair by you beliefs and you've forgot where you are on the internet. I regret coming to this website, I just wanted to share some crazy experiences I had, and what do I find? Jesus freak #1! Go live a life, have some experiences of your own and then come talk to me about how I should live mine!
Emma (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-19)
hahahaha I just realized that you are nothing but a child... You are too young to have an open mind and you get confuse so easily... Not to mention vocab and spelling. You are a joke, my friend. Have fun in "heaven" ill be living it up in "hell"
Prophetess (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-19)
I never tell anyone they are going to hell Emma I tell them what the bible says, unbelievers, those that do witchcraft, lyers, murderers, those are the ones that go to hell, so those are the ones I preach too. But never once have I said that particular person will go to hell... Lyers do get left behind and all the others that I have mentioned Emma.

You say you respect my religion but then call it a myth? Which one is it? Because that is not respecting Christianity what so ever... And for someone who tells me not to tell others they are going to hell, which I have never told one particular person they would be, that's God's choice not mine, you have some nerve telling others they are evil Emma, when that is the furthest thing from the truth
Emma (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-19)
Phophetess: I don't have any opinion on psychics, I don't necessary believe all is true that they say. I don't care if part of your religion is preaching. Appartently part of it is being close minded to anything other than what you believe. I was a trouble young girl and I tried every religion in the book, including many forms of christianity. The only thing I could find in it was that it was just a creation myth with no real founding. I'm not doubting nor disrespecting your religion in any way shape or form, but it is not right for me. I have shown your religion the utmost respect, but I will not show you the same. I know many christians, in fact my extended family is catholic, but never NEVER have any of them disrespected my personally beliefs the way you have. I understand that preaching is something that you want to do, but please pick a better audience. There are places that would happily oblige to your preaching but obviously (and "Martin" agrees) that you should not use this website for those purposes. My advice to you once again is to live your own life, love your religion (obviously you do) and force is never necessary if you are trying to help someone. Remember there is a huge different between teaching and forcing. I welcome you to SHARE your religion's teaching and never NEVER tell someone that they are going to hell because that is quite possibly to rudeness and most messed up thing you could do and it is disrespecting them in a way I'm sure would make you very angry if you were on the other end. If you had come at this whole situation with different words, I would have happily chatted to you about your religion and possibly shared some of my own understanding with you, but you are closemind and there is really no point in talking to you because regardless of how right I am, I am wrong to you because I'm not like you. You must understand people before you can change them. I really don't want to talk to you anymore because you could quite possibly be one of the ugliest christian I have ever meet and I'd rather keep my life free from an obvious evil...
Emma (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-19)
First of all, I don't believe in the same things as you and you should respect that, even if you don't agree. I chose not to reveal my religious belief to a close minded person, nor do I care to hear about yours. I will tell you again to keep your religion out of my story because once again, IT HAS NOTHING TO SO WITH IT! And let's get another straight, I respect your religious beliefs and I'm all for people doing things to make them happy and give them some confront in the unknown, BUT you have absolutely no place in telling people to following your religion. That my dear confused friend, is WRONG! Once again I tell you LIVE YOUR OWN LIFE. It is one thing to inform people of your religion, it is an entirely different to preach and tell people that they are going to "hell" or whatever you call it. That is rude and abrasive. I simply submitted this for believers, non-believes to enjoy and you have turned it into something ugly with you crazy preaching. Go to a blob about religion, not ghost to fulfill your missionary need, stay off of my story with it. All I asked was you keep religion out of it and you decided to once again be another rude christian that tries to make everyone believe what you believe or "you're going to hell..." let me find confront in death in the way I find confront, and let entertainment be entertainment not a religious forum.
Prophetess (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-19)
Emma, first of all kindness deary-shut up is bit childish, and cruel and absolutely unnessary. I will not shut up as you put it, as far as I am concerned one day deary you will know the truth.

Second of all, mental illness does not exist, it is demonic, they can call it multiple personalty disorder if they choose too, but it is demonic.
Hense why do you think it is separate personalities?

The truth is not revealed to all, hense why you probably do not understand!

May I ask you something Emma, you told me to keep religion out of your stories. Please answer me this, do you believe in psychics, and where do you think they get the info from? Please be honest now Emma and answer this question
Emma (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-19)
Phophetess - shut up! This has absoulutely nothing to do with god or any of those beliefs. A mental therapist has no place being a missionary with mythical cures for real disease. Your information is nice and I am really glad that your religion has given you some peace, but live YOUR life and not others. I simply shared my story with the community for entertainment purposes, not to provide another religious front for people like you to force their beliefs on others. Enjoy my story, don't bring something to it that does belong. And Sir John Walter, this go for you too. I'm not entirely sure what the hell you are talking about, but it seems to me that you are implying that maybe I have a mental problem because there is a spirit that maintains itself in my home. I don't have a problem, nor do I want to "face my fears..." I think I may have confuse some readers by implying that I wanted to rid my home of his presence, which is entirely incorrect. It is his home as much as it is mine and he can be there if he pleases. The only way he gives me any peace is if I talk to him, which I do often. Actually, as much as he is spooky, he bring a confronting entertaining mood. Shane: thanks for your suggestions but I believe I confused you. Please Enjoy my story and I will bring more should he give me some more experiences. Keep religion out of my story
Prophetess (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-19)
Sir John, I was just wondering whether you knew the true causes of mental illness? You do know that it is what you would call a build up of unrepented sins to God, demons, it's not facing the things that you have done, do you ever notice that some of your patients act like many personalities? They are evil spirits moving through the body they most certainly have different characteristics and personalities- their is no such thing as schizoprenia and dementia, it's what you would call a legion-which means MANY. Now depression is something different, even King David who wrote psalms suffered from depression, that is different then mental illness. I just thought I would tell you the truth, lead your patients to God and repenting their sins and things hidden in the darkness instead of medication-you will go a lot further with your patients and actually help them.
QueenTas (4 stories) (43 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-18)
I agree with Shane, he was probably a prankster in life, and is now one even in death, well please keep us updated, I would love to hear more.

Tricia
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-18)
Wow, interesting story. While I am not quite sure what you are dealing with. It doesn't sound as if it is evil. I believe that you are dealing with a spirit that was a prankster in life and there fore remains so in the after life. Try this and see if it works for you. If you live near a Native American reservation go there and purchase a medicine bag from the local medicine man/woman and wear it around your neck. Make sure you tell them what it is you are wanting it for so they will know which scared items go into the bag. Listen to what they tell you. Since you say it only affects you while you are awake I think this may be what you need.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: