You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Jacket That Came To Life

Real Ghost Stories

The Jacket That Came To Life

 

I've experienced a number of mystical occurrences over the years, but here's an incident that forever sticks in my mind.

I was in seventh grade, residing in the Southwest region of The United States at the time. It was the day after Thanksgiving and snow was falling quite heavily. There was no school that day, and I was spending the morning writing letters to pen pals. I was seated at my desk, in my bedroom, stationed by a window facing the backyard. Suddenly, something outside caught my eye. I glanced out the window and was shocked to see my pink and purple flowered ski jacket suspended in mid air. The arms were extended, as if someone was wearing the jacket, and it was bobbing up and down with wild abandon. I remembered my jacket was hanging in my closet, right there in my bedroom, so I got up, peeked in my closet, and sure enough there was my jacket. I peered out the window again, and my jacket was still there, floating in the air, doing a crazy dance. At that point, confusion set in and I ran to fetch my brother, who was working on something in the garage.

By the time my brother reached my room and looked out the window, the jacket had disappeared. However, it was still in my closet. My brother thought I was possibly seeing things or else someone else's jacket somehow got thrown over the fence, blew in the wind and I mistook it for my jacket. But I know what I saw. That was definitely my jacket out there, shaking like a bowl of jelly in the blinding snow. I have absolutely no explanation for this. Maybe my jacket wanted to go outside and play, and that was its way of getting my attention. Because I was so young, I didn't have the insight or understanding of the supernatural as I do now. I'm surprised I wasn't totally frightened by what I saw. I guess I just figured it was one of those weird things that sometimes happen or perhaps I imagined the whole scene. But I was wide awake, alert, not prone to hallucinations, and by no means on drugs or alcohol.

How creepy!

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, elasticband, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

bandet888 (86 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-23)
Also even though I don't think I've ever experienced anything supernatural I did have a hallucination once. I saw something I couldn't explain. One time as a kid I had the covers over my head. I took off my covers and saw two boots upside down over my bed posts with the toe tips facing each other (the part you put your foot in was were the bed posts were inside). I screamed, as soon as my mother entered the kitchen (which was next to my bedroom and I had my door open) and put the light on the boots were gone! So I know this was no joke nor was it a dream! I did not experience any waking up. As a kid I didn't believe in ghosts and didn't think this was supernatural but this perplexed me. I kept trying to figure if my bed posts just made some kind of strange shadow but I could not see any similar images when I would look at my bed posts in the dark again (not totaly dark or I wouldn't see them at all). I just thought it was just one of those weird things. I never experienced anything else I couldn't explain the rest of my life (maybe a few things getting lost but that's not necessarily supernatural). I just thought I'd share this with you.
bandet888 (86 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-23)
Are you sure maybe someone was playing a joke on you? Maybe someone had another jacket exactly like it. Could the jacket have been attatch on thin strings that wasn't easy to see? Maybe the thin strings were attached to poles outside your view. Maybe who ever did this took the jacket down before you got outside. Just a thought since your jacket was actually in your closet the whole time. Did you experience anything else strange?
spiritbear (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-07)
that is awesome! Btw, I used to live in NM also... On the East coast now. Your story plays more like something caused by hallucinogens; and by that I don't mean that you were on anything, but that the ghost manipulated your brain to see the jacket in 2 places at once rather than moving the actual jacket that hung in the closet. Very weird and wonderful! Like an invitation to come out and play.:)
neu (3 stories) (10 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-06)
haha, aww! That just seems so sweet somehow. This is going in my favorites as well:)
Nor_Cal_Girl (3 stories) (97 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-06)
Nice story, very cool. I've never heard a story quite like it. I guess your jacket really did want to go outside and play, or maybe the ghost of a child was living in or near your house and wanted to.
ChildOfTheLotus (10 stories) (133 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-06)
That is actually a really cute story. I bet it was creepy at the time, but I guess the jacket just wanted to play outside in te snow. This is going in my favorites.
Anjali (5 stories) (19 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-06)
your story made me laugh more than being creepy.
Its really funny the jacket was inside the closet and also right there dancing, enjoying the snow!

Thanks for the wonderful story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: