You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Our Haunted House In The Poconos

Real Ghost Stories

Our Haunted House In The Poconos

 

Everything that I'm about to tell is absolutely true and everything actually happened. I don't live in the house it happened in anymore, but I regret never studying the history of the property or investigating the haunting that took place (like if anyone died there). Here's a little history of the area though: during the revolution and pre-revolution era, there were Native Americans and settler massacres alike. Supposedly, the property lies along the trail that General Washington and his troops traveled on. There are also stories of witches that used to exist near the area way back in the day as well. We lived in the Poconos of Pennsylvania.

So much happened inside this house, but it started out small so that I was the only one who noticed it for the longest time. It started out as hearing someone walking around late at night, going up and down the stairs, hearing the kitchen sink turn on and off, and hearing cupboards open and close. My bedroom door had full view of the stairs, and though I never saw anything sometimes I'd see shadows moving. Lights turned on by themselves. We'd also get the oppressing feeling of being watched and followed day or night. When I was home alone I'd hear whispering voices upstairs, like people arguing or people talking about me. I'd go upstairs to check if a TV had been left on but none ever was. While home alone again, something called out my name 3 times. It was long and drawn out, like something out of a ghost movie, but I think it's interesting to add it sounded similar to my mother's voice and I was tempted to answer until I checked that she wasn't home. A year later I learned that something had also called out my stepdad's name, as well as touched him. One night, while playing alone in my room, a jacket which was hung off of my chair 5 feet away from me started swinging all on its own. My parents, who were very paranoid about intruders so that they had 3 locks installed on our front door, left and came back to find the door wide open, and blamed me for it. Yet we'd leave our house, cat inside, and come back hours later to find the cat outside.

The activity definitely worsened, however, after I moved into the downstairs bedroom. The first night I slept in there I left a water glass on the table, and as I lay in bed trying to fall asleep I distinctly heard the glass being slammed onto the table repeatedly. Then the pounding started. Something started knocking on the walls and furniture of my room. I was freaked out but tried to ignore it and just laid there still, listening, pretending to sleep. That happened at least once every week for a year, until it finally faded away altogether. As if it were pulling pranks on me, things in my room would go missing as I was using them. I grew so used to this though that I learned to just walk away for 30 minutes, and I knew eventually it would return to the exact spot. I also swear that the "ghost" tried to get me in trouble. My stepdad changed jobs and worked with a bomb squad dog which we were allowed to let live with us. The cat and the dog didn't get along though, so while my stepdad was home (with the dog) we kept the cat in my room. I'd wake up for unknown reasons near 3 in the morning, and every time I'd "get the feeling" that I had to turn on my light, so I did. The door to my room stood wide open, like a dark gaping mouth. I'd feel something watching me. Then suddenly I'd realize, where's the cat? This always happened only a few minutes before I knew my stepdad would wake up. He'd blame me if our government dog got attacked by the cat so I'd find the cat always minutes before his alarm went off.

However, for the last year that I lived in that house, things increased to the point that it felt threatening. Me and my mom often felt like we were being choked, as if hands had wrapped around our throats, stopping us dead in our tracks. For two nights in a row I heard a strange shuffling sound float around my room. I couldn't see it, but the sound "floated" around my room, stopping and hovering at times, until it stopped in front of me, and then left through the door again. It was like the sound of rustling paper or maybe hissing. It was often my job to watch after the fire when my parents weren't home, and one night the antique railroad spike which we kept on the mantle flew passed my head. But the worst thing that ever happened, perhaps 2 months before I finally left, was while I was sleeping on the couch in my room. For some reason I'd felt unsafe in my bed, so I slept on the couch because there I felt less exposed. After I reached up to turn off the light I had the sudden realization that something was face to face with me, merely inches away. It made me so sick to my stomach and I felt that whatever it was hated me and wanted me to know it. Like a child I flipped the covers over my face and said a prayer. But later that night I woke up to the sound of screaming and growling within my room. Someone was screaming that they needed my help, that they were trapped and didn't know their identity. I tried to move, but that's when I realized I couldn't. I was completely paralyzed and couldn't move a muscle. But here's the really creepy part- it was me that was screaming. But it was NOT my voice and I had no control over it whatsoever. Then every sound in my room escalated into a large, deafening roar and I heard someone speaking above all the noise but I couldn't recognize the language. And then suddenly it became silent. The weight lifted off of my chest and I could move again. I felt like there were things still present in the room with me, but I didn't dare turn on the light for fear that I would see it.

I think it's also important to note that while living in that house, everyone's demeanor changed including mine. We all became increasingly hostile towards each other, like whatever the things were in that house (I personally believe there was more than one) wanted to drive us further and further apart. Yet as soon as I moved away, it was as if a heavy darkness had been lifted from my life, but a lot of unanswered questions remain.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, seregirl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

paranormallyspiritual777 (1 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-17)
i used to live in the poconos and am really curious where in the poconos this was bc I am very much into cleansing places and setting spirits free from their torment and torture of living in the past. I cleansed a place in bushkill about a year or so ago and would love to help your family as well! I can be reached at mtlmn1982 [at] aol.com. Thank you!
rhyan790 (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-17)
Sounds too unreal. I agree with KirkoBerzerko. Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6VjLEPLFAY 😐
seregirl (guest)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-11)
I agree, I think lexie4308 summed it all up! Although I am SO glad not to live there anymore, I still wonder if I was supposed to help whatever it was that tried to reach out to me that night. Or maybe it was just... A trick? I don't know. But I'm still wondering!
Gizmo (1 stories) (22 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-11)
WOW!
Good thign that you moved out...
I too had experiences like that but not so severe...
xXelliemayXx (10 stories) (164 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-11)
I agree with lexie4308
I think she really has roundede it all up in what shes said!
I would take her advice if anythign was to happen again... And I don't blame you for not living there anymore LOL 😆

xXelliemayXx ❤
Thegrinch17 (guest)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-11)
This sounds like an evil spirit, maybe a demon. Do any of your family members still live in that house? If so, I would suggest that they have it blessed. This may help things settle down. Thanks for sharing your story! Best of luck to you! ❤
seregirl (guest)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-11)
Oh and thanks for your input anyway! It's interesting to know what other people think about it. 😁 😁 😉
seregirl (guest)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-11)
Thanks for your comments guys. This is the only place I've ever been able to be open about these kind of experiences, not everyone is willing to believe until it actually happens to them.
KirkoBezerko, while I try to keep an open mind to any explanations, I don't believe it can be excused as sleep paralysis. The night that happened has been the only time in my life, so far, that I've experienced something like that. If it happened to me more than that one time, and if all of the other incidents hadn't already occurred within the house to me and my family, then I'd be able to dismiss it as a sleeping disorder. However, that is not the case.
KirkoBezerko (guest)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-10)
"I tried to move, but that's when I realized I couldn't. I was completely paralyzed and couldn't move a muscle. But here's the really creepy part- it was me that was screaming. But it was NOT my voice and I had no control over it whatsoever."

Sounds like sleep paralysis to me,
Do some reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Great story though, enjoyed reading
lexie4308 (6 stories) (22 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-10)
It sounds like you either had a demon or an energy problem. Some would say a poltergeist but I don't know anything about them to suggest it. I know if something traumatic happened in the house the energy of the event can be imprinted and that could be why everyone's demeanor changed like you said they did. Imprinted energy can have that type of affect on people. I only say demon because I've done more research and have more family members and such that have had experiences with them. They are especially popular with the growling and roaring noises like what you expressed. Also with trying to take over and speaking through you but it not being your voice. If that was the case what silenced it could have been an angel since you said you said a prayer before going to sleep. One might have come to try and protect you. If you still lived there I would have suggested casting them out in the name of God but all the same it is really good that you don't live there anymore!
Miss_Cannabis (20 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-10)
Thats house sounds intense. I really enjoyed your story! Glad you moved though.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: