You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Screaming Woman

Real Ghost Stories

The Screaming Woman

 

I've always been receptive to spirits since as long as I can remember. I also sometimes dream of them and dream of things that have happened or are going to happen, but in no way do I consider myself "psychic". Here is one experience that might creep you out, and I'm curious about other people's conclusions...

When I was five years old my dad took my two brothers and me on a road trip shortly after he and my mom divorced. We'd often drive for long hours without stopping, touring sites, until we grew tired and stopped to camp. Since my dad wasn't exactly the richest man in the word at the time, he'd find places for us to camp where there were no camping fees. Sometimes we'd have to forego public camping sites altogether and drive down lonely dirt roads secluded from the highway. This was one such occasion. Near the base of the Beartooth Mountains, he drove his truck many miles down a dirt road, passing a ranch holding roaming buffalo within. Finally he found the spot where he wanted to place us for the night, nestled within the pine trees. We set up camp, roasted hot dogs, and finally went to bed.

I was walking through the forest. It was day. I was alone. I noticed that the trees were tall and thin, and not pine trees. There wasn't any undergrowth, just the soft ground. And then I stopped. I was staring at one very large, flat rock buried beneath the dirt, only the top surface of it exposed. Noticing this, I looked up to see a tall pale woman with long dark hair wearing a stained white dress, like a nightgown, standing several feet in front of me. She was talking, or at least I could see her mouth moving, but no sound or words came out. I asked her if she was okay, but as soon as I did she began SCREAMING. It was one long drawn out high-pitched scream that never seemed to end. She never moved away from the rock, pointing at it.

My dad woke me up, it was morning and we were already running behind. He needed to fix breakfast for us fast, so he asked me and my brothers to collect firewood to help him get started. I ran behind my brothers, who ran deeper and deeper into the forest. We ran into an area where there wasn't any underbrush. No good, because there weren't any sticks on the ground either. They ran on, but I didn't follow them. I stopped because I was in the same place as my dream the night before. I'd already seen the large, flat moss-covered rock in front of me before. Suddenly I realized I was alone. Terrified that the screaming woman would appear, I high-tailed it out of there and returned to my dad, waiting for my brothers to return. The dream has stuck in my mind ever since.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, seregirl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-04-13)
jeysiiiiiiii - seregirl is no longer a member of this site so you won't receive a response.

Why don't you post your own experience? I'm sure we would all like to read it and give you our opinions.

Regards, Melda
jeysiiiiiiiii (1 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-12)
we had the same kind of dream but I experienced it almost 3 years ago and different place. I was trying to forget it cause that really messed me up but I saw a post about the same ghost that I saw in my dream and I just really want to know the reason why I had that dream so I search and found your story
Britvand (1 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-09-19)
This is a very old post but if you are still active here, I live in that area. You were near a mountain that is actually named screaming woman mountain.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2009-12-26)
And if you can, try to remember and locate the campsite using google maps.
bldfalcon (12 stories) (262 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-11-14)
How about don't try to understand the spirit. Forget about it, only is she is still haunting you until this day. Live your life normal and forget that garbage. It's better if you left it alone.
ChildOfTheLotus (10 stories) (133 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-11-13)
Just don't hold a seance or use a ouija board. Meditating in order to communicate through your dreams is completely safe. Your mind is open to the astral realm while you sleep, and if you communicate with the dead through sleep, they don't actually leave their realm physically. So you don't have to worry about something negative entering your life through your dreams. It's a good way to get a hint without harming the spirit of either yourself or the dead person.
seregirl (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2009-11-13)
Thank you for the website, ChildOfTheLotus! I will definitely look at it. Who knows? 😁

DARKNESS, yes that would be very scary! I've actually thought of doing it just for curiosity's sake. But, I don't think it'll happen unless I'm traveling through wyoming. Still fun to think of though.

JamesRobiscoe, I will do that. However, I've had bad experiences before when trying to communicate with entities. How do I do that without inviting anything into my life? Hopefully she won't scream at me again, that'd be scary, like reliving the entire dream.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-11-12)
Seregirl--Your experience may have been long ago, but if you can follow up on the website ChildofLotus suggests, you may be able to draw a bead on some clue.
Another option is to visualize the woman before you go to sleep, several nights if necessary, and ask her to give you more information, in a non-scary way, so you can follow through with what she needs to be free.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-11-12)
Hmmmm that's an interesting story do you think you would remember where the location was? I wonder if you would find that rock again and if you did you might understand more of what the dream meant? Would be quite scary though!

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
ChildOfTheLotus (10 stories) (133 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-12)
http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/index.php

Here's the site I always go to. Unsolved Mysteries and America's Most Wanted both have some good listings as well.
seregirl (guest)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-12)
hmm... Which website is it? I'll check it out, I'm curious! But of course the dream was so long ago, all I remember is she looked pale and deathly, long dark hair, dark eyes, and she wore a dirty stained nightgown-ish dress.
ChildOfTheLotus (10 stories) (133 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-12)
The official site has photographs and descriptions of where the people were last seen. Check it out if you get a chance and see if you recognize the woman in any of the pictures. It's a long shot, but who knows? You may end up solving a case.
seregirl (guest)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-12)
ChildOfTheLotus, those are really good points! Children are more innocent and open-minded, and I've always been receptive to these sort of things. Maybe the woman was just taking advantage of the opportunity...? I have never thought to research missing persons, but now I'm curious! LOL, why didn't I think of that?
ChildOfTheLotus (10 stories) (133 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-12)
Maybe she felt that a kid would listen to her more than an adult would. Or maybe she knew that as a kid, you would not be able to forget her appearance. Have you consitered doing research on the area? Maybe check the missing persons list from around the place you camped?
seregirl (guest)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-12)
Thanks for your helpful comments guys! Yes, the woman was very pale and deathly-looking. So a banshee may make sense, though as for a warning I'm not sure because I don't remember anything bad happening around that time.

I do agree that she may have been trying to tell me something, like something was buried there and no one knows about it. Maybe that's why I've never been able to forget the dream, maybe something was supposed to be done, but I was just a little girl when that happened and what could a kid possibly do?! Beats me.
ChildOfTheLotus (10 stories) (133 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-12)
Yeah, they usually do look pretty pasty. And they usually have really ugly faces, all wrinkled up and leathery.
bldfalcon (12 stories) (262 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-12)
I didn't say a banshee were ghost's, I just said that the women looked ghostly, it doesn't mean she is a ghost. Ghostly can mean pale too.
Phoenix77 (3 stories) (38 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-12)
Banshee's are much more often heard then seen, that is why I do not agree with bldfalcon. But ChildofTheLotus may have something there. If the woman was a ghost and tried to tell you something then it makes sence that after she realized you couldn't hear her, she would try screaming. After all what do we do when brought to someone who can't or has little hearing (we yell). The rock had something she wanted someone to see. Blessed Be
ChildOfTheLotus (10 stories) (133 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-12)
Banshee are not ghosts, yet that may have been what you saw. Banshee tend to seriously harm or kill people that hear her scream. Since this was a precognative dream, you may have been safe, but warned.

Then again, you may have encountered a woman that had either died or was murdered around the area. Since you were camping in a secluded area, it makes a bit of sense. People that are looking to bury a body often do so in a wooded area where not many people are likely to stumble upon it. That big rock may have been a marker as to where her remains are.

Then again, she could have very-well died of natural causes somewhere else, but was fully aware that something else was buried in that spot, hence her pointing to the rock.
bldfalcon (12 stories) (262 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-12)
Oh my god a banshee. They are usaully ghostly women that scream. So, yeah! Enough said, your guess is better than mine, but I never read a story about a banshee before.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: