You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Old Fort Hays, The House I Grew Up In

Real Ghost Stories

Old Fort Hays, The House I Grew Up In

 

I grew up in a University town in Northwest Kansas. My grandparents had bought this amazing house really cheap and let my mom and I live in it, when I was about 8 years old. My mom's boyfriend and his 3 daughters moved in with us. For awhile, just small things would happen and nobody would think twice about it. Later on, I found out this house was 150 years old when I was just 8 years old (am now 32). It was one of the first 5 houses built when they were establishing Ft. Hays. It had the basement, the main floor and the upstairs and a crawl space attic. I wish I could draw a layout of the house, as it would explain what happened better. When you walk in the front door there was the foyer, which was open to the living room and dining room, then there was the stairs that go up when you walk in through the front door to the right, and the kitchen past the living room which is where the basement door was. (also found an old bottle of Jack Daniels in the basement, which was actually connected to the house, so was there even before they moved the house for the basement, this was dated 1887 and no label, all hand blown glass). They had dug up 3 Civil War Soldiers who had been killed during the battles at Old Fort Hays, in order to get the basement put in. This house was large, and spacious, but also reminded me of those witches houses you see on cartoons. On Halloween nobody would come to our house, it creeped the entire neighborhood kids out.

When I was 12 I started noticing more and more of the things that happened in that house. Since I was becoming a teenager, I wanted my privacy, not having to share a room with my step sister, so I decided to take the basement. BIG MISTAKE... I thought the cat was in the storage shed next to my room, when I heard a lot of noise like boxes falling and so on and so forth. So I opened the door to let the cat out, and saw a soldier in there, moving stuff around. Needless to say I shot out of the basement like a cannon up into my step sisters room, and crawled in bed with her, somehow thinking the tent she had on her bed (remember those bed tents?) would protect me. A lot of times the stereo would just come on, or clothes my mom left unfolded would be folded right in front of your eyes.

When my step sisters moved out with their dad when I just turned 13, I moved back upstairs to the room that has the window on the back side of the house, and a small window on the back but side of the house that kind of protrudes. This room was just at the top of the stairs directly to the left (other rooms down the hall was my former step sisters room and my mom's further down the hall) I was sound asleep (this was summer of 1991), and the sound of breaking glass woke me up. So I turned to my right, and then saw my picture of a navy aircraft carrier fall impossible right? It would have already fallen considering the glass was broken. Then I heard someone coming up the stairs (my room was right by the stairs), and saw this LARGE black shadowy figure standing in my doorway. It was almost as though he had paralyzed me. I couldn't move, or scream or anything. I was trying to scream for my mom, but nothing came out. I had tears streaming down my face, and eventually urinated on myself from the terror I was feeling. This was the most terrifying thing that ever happened to me. He came into my room, shut the door and began throwing all sorts of things around, as if he was trying to find something. I thought I was going to die right then and there, a heart attack at 13 years old I swore was going to happen. What seemed like forever he was in there was only about 10 minutes when he left; he opened my door, walked calmly down the stairs, and opened the front door and shut it again, leaving the house. I finally yelled so loud for my mom, she came in and thought I had destroyed my room (she doesn't believe in ghosts). But realized something else had happened, thought I peed my bed and myself and was sleep walking in my room. (That's her excuse).

One night in the basement, I was having a Halloween party, and we all turned out the lights, and were taking pictures of each other in the dark with the old disposable camera with the flash, and it's on film at my mom's house, but behind me is a young boy and young girl (must have been siblings) hanging from the rafters by nooses. It's the freakiest picture ever caught I swear. Someday I will go back to my mom's and dig out the picture and upload it to a website.

When my first son was born, in 1994, (I was 16) he was about 3 months old (this is about the time I moved out, I had enough hauntings for a lifetime at this point), he was sleeping peacefully (for a change) in his playpen and I was cleaning up the living room of his toys and stuff. All of a sudden this eerie feeling come over me and from the fireplace I heard voices saying "listen to the baby cry" just then Reece starts blood curdling screams. I grabbed my son, his diaper bag, and got in the car and went to my grandparents place.

Often times the lights would come on and off, things would move in front of you, and the TV once flew off the stand, in front of my mom, aimed at my mom. She still didn't believe, I mean what excuse would you have for that?! Anyway, this house is WORSE than Amityville. I have since never stepped foot in that house. About 10 years ago, my grandparents sold the house to a gal I went to high school with, her and her family. They lived there about 2 years and sold it. She said she will never be able to even drive by that house again, without being in solid terror. I don't know who lives there now and not sure what they experience if anything, but I know that I have never experienced anything like that since then.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, cmc77, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

JennyB83 (12 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-01)
Wow! Insane! Would love to see the pic... Great story & thanks for sharing!:)
Chaunce (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-09)
I actually live in Hays! Not sure if you check these comments often but do you remember what street the house was on? I'd love to go check it out sometime
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-12)
This story was intense and well written to see things like that happen in front of your eyes would have been quite disturbing, have you ever driven passed this house lately or heard anything else about it? Did the soldier you saw in the basement aknowledge that you had seen him or did it see you?

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
ParanormalSpectrum (3 stories) (26 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-12)
Ohmy. That's just eerily creepy. I hope you found a better house that WASN'T haunted.
Miss_Cannabis (20 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-12)
Wow that's crazy. I love how you discribed the house, it definitly gave me a great visual of how everything looked. I would never want to live there that's fersher. But you should put that picture up of the kids!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: