You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Little Grim Reaper

Real Ghost Stories

The Little Grim Reaper

 

When I was 12 years old I experienced something that confuses me to this day. I was staying the night with my grandmother, who was going through a divorce and having a really hard time. She cooked a great dinner, I went to bed, and slept like a rock... That is, until dawn.

I awoke with the sun beginning to rise. I was wide awake. My eyes were drawn to the upper corner of my bedroom. There in the corner were several small apparitions, I believe they were angels. They were absolutely gorgeous, small (about 2 feet high), fluffy, and transparent. I closed my eyes, opened them, and they remained. I remember doing that several times then sat up in my bed. When I sat up, it was if I scared them and they faded away. I decided to go to my grandma's room. That's when I turned and saw it beside my bed. There stood a small, dark figure, about 3 feet in height, wearing a black cloak with a hood, no face, about 2 feet from my face. It looked like a small grim reaper without the blade. I was in shock but not scared. I looked at it for about a minute, and then it turned, glided out of my room. I got out of my bed and followed it down the hall to my grandmother's room, where it faded away. I will never forget how cold the floor was on my bare feet. I said nothing to anyone for about a year, in fear they wouldn't believe me. I was 12 years old for goodness sake. I thought my parent's, friends, and my grandmother especially would tell me I was dreaming, crazy, or lying. When I saw pictures of the grim reaper around Halloween or my friends dressed up like them it scared the crap out of me. But I continued to keep my mouth shut...

About a year later, my mother, grandmother, and I were driving to Memphis for a day of shopping. My grandmother was 57 years old, in good health (and mind). I was in the back of my mother's car when she said, "I have to tell yall something. I can't keep it to me anymore. I have been seeing things. Angels." I anxiously sat up and said, "I SAW THEM TOO!" I have never been so relieved to hear I wasn't alone. She told about her first experience. She said she awoke in the middle of the night, her room glowing. She said she saw a beautiful angel, with wings, over her bead, with two small children angels with her. She laughed and said, "After they disappeared I got up and got a Coke and watched T.V. I thought I wasn't ready to die!"

Then I told my story. She kind of chuckled when I told about the black hooded thing and said, "Maybe he was looking for Larry" (my grandfather who had been married to her for 40 years and left her for a 23 year-old). She told more stories about beautiful sightings of angels and pleaded we wouldn't tell a soul. She never experienced anything ugly or scary, just angels. She continued to see these things for about 9 months. She would only talk about them if you asked. I remember asking her about her last experience. "Yes, as a matter of fact, I saw one last week. But this one was different." I asked her what she meant. "This one was ugly, it had a big head. I said a prayer and told it, "You can't hurt me; God won't let you hurt me. It just smiled back at me and disappeared." This kind of bothered me.

One month later, my grandmother developed a bad case of pneumonia. She went into the hospital. The fluid in her lungs began to crystallize and harden. It is called A.R.D.S. (Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome). She was put on a ventilator for a week, had a stroke, and spent 28 days in the I.C.U. At St. Bernard's Hospital in Jonesboro, Arkansas. My family made the decision to pull the plug the 28th day, May 1st, 1999.

I have not seen any angels or demons since her death. I try to refrain from talking about it because when I do speak of it, things begin to happen. The last time my mother and I talked about it, a bright light appeared in the room. We both screamed. Needless to say, I was 20, and I slept with her that night.

I believe the angels were protection. I believe the demon was a sign of death. I think about it a lot. Sometimes it bothers me that when I sat up in bed that morning I scared the angels away and not the demon. I followed the demon. When something happens like that, you just can't explain it.

I have talked to several pastors about it and they didn't have much to say. I believe I just freaked them out.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ashleydawn86, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Flower (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-04)
Very scary, I am a ghost hunter (in my house) and have seen the ghost of my old cat Halow >3
Moneezy93 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-10)
awwwh that is too cute! Lil fluffy angels 😁! And I'm so very sorry for your loss... Your grandma seemed like a great person! But yes I agree with you it is something biblical! God Bless!
ark_angel (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-31)
i know what you mean. I seen him when I was 9.he had no face and was wearing a hood. He was coming for my ucle. He glided down the hallway and went into every room looking for him. I guess he can't see through doors. When he finaly found him he didn't take him that night. I don't know how but my uncle persuaded him to give himm another day. But he died the next night in his sleep. Ever since than I have been facinated with him.
Mosultu (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-17)
Little man in black I think it was Greem Reaper
Because a week before my grandmother died my little brother saw in the hospital room where my grandmother was admitted. Then I laughed at him but after I read your story I'm sorry I did not believe
And I read in a book (I forget the name) very old as a person who is very close to the person who died will be able to see the Greem Reaper 😢
ashleydawn86 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-16)
Thanks for the comments guys. I really don't think we will ever truly know until our time comes. I truly believe this was something biblical, not any human spirit. I have had not had anything significant happen since her death or the "light" incident a few years ago... Knock on wood.

I did go see Paranormal Activity in the theatre, I thought it had a similar story. The girl was 8 when she saw the "black mass" and my grandmothers house recently burned down, no definite cause. I haven't talked to any of the previous renters, but I do recall one of them having a cross hung in a very strange place near the ceiling and corner of the same room.
ozzy (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-14)
wow very interesting that would of scared the crap out of me with that little grim you said that you saw an angel last week but you also said that after you grandmas death every thing stopped what really happened?
marcink125 (2 stories) (27 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-13)
The beings you saw were what most people call the "little people". They are often accompanied by a demon or some form of etheral being which are said to guard and protect the "little people".
Nor_Cal_Girl (3 stories) (97 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-12)
That' really sad about your grandmother... And erm "interesting" that about your grandfather (pity, really, I'm sure your grandma was a great gal). I think, if I were you, I would just try to concentrate on the good things that you and your grandma saw if those thoughts creep into your head, that way, it's positive energy.
bldfalcon (12 stories) (262 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-12)
Well, I did say angels only come to earth when they are called upon or needed. But God has to allow them first.
GhostReal (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-12)
i also believe that demons mean death to a loved one and angels mean life no offense but when you said your grandpa left her for a 23 year old I thought of george lopez show 😊
ChildOfTheLotus (10 stories) (133 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-12)
The first part of bldfalcon's comment I would have to agree with. Generally humans cannot see the "angel of death" unless they are the human that the reaper is sent to collect.

However, I do believe that the two little things you and your grandmother both saw were indeed angels. They are very much allowed into our realm, as they do so often to protect their designated human (if they have one). Those little angels you saw may have been there to guard you and your family. You say you haven't seen them since your grandma died. They may have been connected to her, but don't let that make you think they are totally gone.

The little grim reaper could have been one of many things. It could have been a little demon, a human spirit, or you may have genuinely seen the angel of death. It's unexplainable. It may have just been there as a symbol of what was to come.

Very interesting story, though.
bldfalcon (12 stories) (262 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-12)
This is your first comment, I just have to say demons, ghosts, and death have little to do with eachother at all. Sure when a person dies they have 3 choices: heaven, hell, or on earth, but I don't think whatever is was was the grim reaper! I mean Satanist have black cloaks too! If it was death, then you'll know what happens next, plus you can't even see him. As for angels and demons, only I can say is that Angels can't cross over in our plain, God forbids that many years ago, but they do come to earth when they are called for. Demons how ever have no rules, they can take form and possess people. Plus, demons can pretend there angels, so becareful. As a believer of religion and the supernatural, I like this story, because it balances the two. Your 20 right now, do you have any other related hauntings?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: