You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Nun Of Gothic Drive

Real Ghost Stories

The Nun Of Gothic Drive

 

When I was two years old, my family and I moved into a quaint little neighborhood in a small city outside of San Antonio, Texas, where I still reside today. It is a quiet place, with virtually no crime (most of the people who live here are retired Air Force families from nearby Randolph AFB). The streets in this neighborhood are named after ancient civilizations and important figures in ancient mythologies.

One particular street was named Gothic Drive, after the Gothic tribes which ransacked Rome towards the end of the great empire's reign. As one would expect, this street was constructed in a way which mirrored the Goth's macabre reputation. Trees are planted so close together that sunlight is obscured and most of the street is blanketed in shadows, even in the middle of the day. The houses on that street, though small, are Victorian in design and are always dimly lit at night. Hedges and vines line the trees, adding to the eeriness and mystique of the street. In spite of the dark aesthetics, I never felt uneasy or disturbed when I walked or drove through this street... Until one night, when a stranger appeared.

The year was 2007. It was a clear, moonlit summer night, and I was driving home from a (particularly bad) date. The radio was tuned to my favorite station, and my thoughts were geared heavily toward what had happened earlier that evening. As I turned on to Gothic Drive, the beams of my headlights struck something unusual on the other end of the street. Once I got close enough, I was able to make out the figure of a slender woman who was dressed in a black outfit of some sort. Soon I was able to see the figure almost as clearly as I can see the laptop in front of me now: it was a nun.

The sight of a nun in my neighborhood was unusual, but not so unusual that I paid much attention to it. I remember shrugging my shoulders and saying to myself, "that's weird" and continuing on with my commute. Then something strange happened: when I looked back to catch another glimpse of her, I saw nothing. She had disappeared!

I am a practical and skeptical person, so I initially wrote this incident off as a "product of the situation" that I was in that night. I figured that my heightened emotional state from the bad date had caused my mind to "play tricks on me". Why my subconscious chose a nun as a manifestation of my frustration, I could not seem to figure out... Until I realized a few weeks later during a brisk midnight stroll that my explanation was dead wrong.

It was later in the summer, and I had decided to go out for a late-night walk to alleviate some boredom and burn off some energy accumulated in the form of energy drinks (I know, it was stupid to drink those kinds of drinks so late at night. Gimme a break!) These late-night strolls were part of my nightly routine, thanks to the fact that my neighborhood is relatively safe and I am usually not the only one out and about that late. The neighborhood was quiet that night. Everyone seemed to be in bed, with the exception of one jogger and a few stray cats... And a raccoon. I hate those things. Anyways, I deviated from my usual route slightly and decided to walk through Gothic Drive - something I rarely did because it leads to the main road in my neighborhood, and I typically did not like to venture out that far. Tonight was different; I seemed to have been emotionally drawn in that direction. The houses on that street were unlit, and the street lamp was off. I slowly made my way toward the end of the street. Suddenly, the street lamp lit up brilliantly... And there she was, standing in the rays of the lamplight!

I was not afraid... Not even close to being afraid. It was apparent that she wasn't an ordinary woman, or even from this dimension. Her dress was black; even the bright light from the lamp above her seemed to be absorbed by her dark ebony rainments. She appeared to "float" slightly above the ground, and didn't seem to have any feet. For some reason, I could see her face quite clearly, even though I was more than twenty feet away from her. She was a comely woman, with dark eyes and soft crimson lips. She was smiling! I walked toward her, shouting "howdy" or something to that affect. The nun didn't move or speak. As I approached her, I blinked once. She vanished.

I was in shock. Had I really seen a ghost? Was my imagination playing tricks on me? Then a terrible thought hit my mind: was I hallucinating? I have a history of mental health problems (depression and different anxiety disorders) and I knew that schizophrenia can cause one to lose touch with reality and even have hallucinations. Was I going nuts?

My fears were relieved when I found out that I'm not the only one who has seem the nuns. My brother told me saw her one night while driving home from night classes at a local community college. Many of the neighbors I've talked to say that they've encountered her on different occasions. They told me that her facial expressions tend to reflect the moods of those who cross her path. If you're angry, she will have an angry expression on her face. If you're happy, she will smile, and so on.

The mystery of the ghostly nun fascinated me, but my focus soon shifted away from her when school started up again. I did not think much about her for several months after that. Then, one night, I saw her again. This time, things were different.

I had stormed out of the house after a vicious verbal exchange with my mother over something absolutely stupid and trivial. I had no intention of returning home until after my mom had gone to bed, so I decided to take a "long walk", which meant going down the main road. To access that road, I turned onto Gothic Drive. I did not expect to see the mysterious nun, but sure enough, there she was. She stood under the street lamp, looking straight at me. I could see her face from where I stood.

She was not smiling this time.

I could feel hatred and pure anger emanating from her. The expression on her face was beyond menacing. It seemed as if she was ready to lunge at me and rip my heart out. Her eyes were dark and piercing. She knew what had transpired in my home a few minutes prior.

This time, I was afraid. Deathly afraid.

I turned around and ran home as fast as I could, looking back occasionally to make sure the woman wasn't following me. When I finally reached home, I locked the door and apologized to my mom for starting the fight earlier. I told her what I saw, and she forgave me and helped me calm down.

My frightening encounter happened in February 2008. I have not seen the nun since, and frankly, I don't want to see her again. This experience has certainly turned my skepticism of the paranormal on its head. Prior to these last few experiences I had never seen anything that I could not explain through logic. I certainly have a more open mind when it comes to the paranormal. I still wonder about the nun from time to time. Who is she? Why is she wandering the streets of a suburban town? How is she able to sense our emotions and reflect them back at us?

I may never know.

Other hauntings by brainlessbandit

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, brainlessbandit, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sylviessweeties (135 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-25)
Now that was very spooky
I knew a nun when I was a child. Her name was Sister Ellen, she was always so sweet to me. I have never met her since.
KirkoBezerko (guest)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-24)
That's really interesting, maybe she want's something, go back and try commicate with her, don't be afraid, she can't hurt you.
Cholulteca (148 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-24)
Agree.-Dont know why your nickname says brainless, your story is very well written, I just have one comment, Wish I can have a nun like that one near my house so she can teach a lesson or two to my teens!... 😊
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-24)
Senritsu--What a great suggestion, to leave a flower for the apparition. It might be that if it is accepted, Bandit might find a colored pebble or feather in return.
This story suggests how very important it is to keep readjusting our own selves back into living harmony. Again, I have never seen this return gesture suggested, and thanks for bringing it to my attention. And it's good not just for ghosts <G> ~ James
senritsu (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-24)
going from what I know about japanese ghosts (which for some reason seem to parallel other cultures ghosts sometimes) no feet is a telltale sign of ghosti...ness. Personally I think you may have been so pissed that people a million miles away would be able to tell how bad of a mood you were in. I know I always was when my mum and I were arguing. But she seems to have done a good job with getting you and your mum on good terms with each other, and personally I think that may just be what she was there for. I say leave her a present as thanks. A simple flower under the light post you saw her at may even be enough. You don't even have to go at night to deliver it.
Thegrinch17 (guest)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-24)
Wow! This nun you were seeing sounds better than a mood ring! She instantly knows what mood you're in, eh? I wonder if there was a monastery or church near there at one time? Maybe that's why she's hanging around. Have you ever researched the area?
mrdeagle (6 stories) (69 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-23)
Very scary stuff man. I would be extra careful about wandering out by yourself at night from now on. If I were you I'd keep a camera with me all the time, or a cell phone that takes moderately good pictures at night. My cell has a pretty nice camera with a flash built in. Next time you see the nun try to get a picture! That would be awesome! 😨
Lone_Wolf (36 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-23)
In my studies and travels I've yet to see or hear of a ghost or demon or angel that reflects the mood of the witness. (hehe, MoodGhost, sorry, couldn't help it).

I have only speculation at this point, that it is, indeed, a nun continuing her work by showing people the benefits of being generally cheery, and alternativly, the negative effects of anger or even sadness. It puts you on the receiving end of your own emotional state so that you can better empathise with others.

At any rate, I would love to study the phenomon myself. I wonder what curiousity looks like. Thanks for the story!
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-23)
Bandit--Won't call you brainless because that's obviously not so. You tell a story very well, for one thing, which isn't easy and takes a good deal of attention.
You ask questions at the end but you probably have answers to all of them. How can anyone mirror emotion? We do it all the time. Alive or "dead," we all share the invisible such as feelings and energy fields. Here or there, this side of the membrane or the other, now or then or later, time is "real" but just as invisible.
Was there once a convent nearby? Perhaps the nun was killed while visiting the neighborhood. Since she is a local phenomenon, maybe she's just continuing her work, only in a more direct method than she was permitted while on this plane.
Whaddaya think?
~James
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-23)
I don't see why a nun would want to continue to stay on this plain when obviously she would be going to heaven, assuming she was a good nun. Then, I don't see the reason for anyone staying on this plain after death. This life seems like it and its baggage would be so trivial once you moved on, especially since you would have to know that your not coming back, your time is over here. I seriously doubt that our thought processes would be anything afterward like they are now, so I guess I can't really presume their reasons, if it's actually their choice at the time or a greater powers. Its all conjecture on my part. Interesting though, that so many saw her.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: