You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Man In A Trench Coat

Real Ghost Stories

The Man In A Trench Coat

 

I come from a family that experiences a lot. It's a very interesting life, which, while growing up I thought it normal; 'til I realised my friends don't have so much activity occurring in their households. Don't know if I envy them or what. Luckily we have never had anything bad happen. Only to my great aunt who is a nun. But that's another story.

This one is about my Uncle's experience. Unfortunately I don't have much details but it's an interesting encounter nonetheless. It has happened twice in his life; both times he nearly died had it not been for the Man in the Trench Coat.

My Uncle is based in Durban South Africa. A city regarded as South Africa's playground. It seems to be the playground for the paranormal to me. Maybe because most people residing in Durban are still very involved in native traditions and rituals.

When my uncle was a young man he used to be a trucker. He was coming back from the Eastern Cape. Now the road from Durban to Eastern Cape is very coaly with long drops down so you have to be very careful and drive slow along those curves. My uncle then told us he was driving along a two way narrow stretch of road and something caught his eye in the sky. Up in the clouds was a man, dressed in a brown long trench coat that was walking from East to West. He says they stared at each for a couple of seconds but the man showed no emotion but continued on his way. Thinking it was his imagination my uncle continued driving but he was going at such a high speed he forgot that there was a sharp bend up ahead. He almost drove off the cliff but says he luckily ran the truck into a tree that was growing just below the level of the road; he doesn't know how that tree held the truck from going down because he should have been at the bottom, probably dead.

He thought nothing of the man he saw walking in the clouds until recently in 2001. It was in the afternoon and he was driving from his office home when again he noticed a man wearing a trench coat walking in the clouds. He said the man looked down at him and he realised it was the same man he saw years ago when he was still a truck driver. Same dress code everything. Now he was curious and again he noticed the man was walking from east to west. This time the man disappeared and my uncle carried on driving. What happened next is still a mystery to him; he says the axis from his hind wheels broke sending the car spinning into another one. Now I remember this accident, I was fifteen sixteen. My uncle was in such a critical condition he almost passed away. Apparently, and I am not knowledgeable in the field of mechanics, but axes are meant to be strong and not break easily because they keep the wheels together so how his broke is a mystery. The insurance people later concluded it must have been a factory fault.

Whilst my uncle was hospitalised and in and out of consciousness he kept mumbling about this man he saw walking in the clouds. Everyone, even the doctors thought he was delusional so no one took him seriously until many months later he told us of this man he refers to as his 'guardian angel' because during both times he feels he should have died in those accidents.

Sorry for being so vague but that encounter has always fascinated me. Especially because my uncle felt it necessary to mention that both times the man was walking from east to west.

Is there any significance in that?

Other hauntings by Temilicious

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Temilicious, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Temilicious (7 stories) (99 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-10)
i know I am late in my responses but thank you guys for your comments.
Jadediana- always cool meeting fellow south africans. I will be sure to check out the site you recommended. Will let you know how that goes.

JamesRobiscoe- lol. I know what you mean. My uncle has been in a lot of accidents but those two are the only times anything out of the ordinary happened. Let's just say we are all weary of entering a car when he is behind the wheel.

Trudy- awesome! Thank you for shedding light on that little puzzle for me. Been wrecking my brain as to why it's from east to west and most importantly, he made sure to point it out. Am actually going to ask him if he knew the significance of the east or not. Thanks.

Girlie- maybe you're right about it not being an angel. He did however say he felt no malice coming from the 'man' so maybe it wasn't a bad man but we will never know. Voodoo man, lol. I am not sure about that. We don't practice voodoo in south africa, that's mostly up north.
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-28)
I'm not so sure that was a guardian angel, becuse well each time his sees him he nearly died. I would just call that man bad voo-vood (or how ever you spell it)
GIRLIE 😕
Trudy (92 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-26)
Dear Temiliuos,

Muslims bow to the east, Jesus is going to come from the east and Daniel a Jew bowed to the east when he was praying. I specifically did not say that Jews bow to the east when they pray because I don't know if they do. I know that Daniel bowed to the east when he prayed. Also the sun rises in the east. So the east might have some significance.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-26)
Temilicious--I admire your uncle for sharing his experiences, but less than admire his attention to driving! Seriously, the man is lucky to have more than the usual evidence he is being protected. Thanks for more anecdotal evidence.
jadediana (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-25)
Hi!
I am also from SA!
Your story was very interesting. In all my experiences I have never heard anything like that. Yes that man in the clouds could possibly be a guardian angel. Most likely he is your Uncles ancestor. Try going to ancestry.com and find as much information about any ancestors he might have as possible. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: