You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: Haunted Pocono Vacation

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Pocono Vacation

 

During the summer of 1990, my friend Tracy and I were 14 and the best of friends. We went to the same high school, liked the same music, and spent countless hours and weekends together. Naturally we were thrilled when Tracy's mother won a trip to the Pocono Mountains and invited me to go along with them. One of the local radio stations was having a contest. I don't remember what the question was, but Tracy's mother called in, gave the correct answer and won.

We were so excited, laughing and planning our whole vacation in the car as we drove to Pennsylvania. Everything was going to be perfect except for the fact that my stomach was starting to hurt. I thought, oh no I can't be getting sick now so I tried my best to ignore it. The 100 mile drive from New York to the Poconos finally came to an end and we drove up this long dirt road that lead to a little white cottage in the middle of the woods. We thought it was great and Tracy's parents were happy because they didn't have to worry about us being loud and disturbing anybody.

When we arrived it was still early as we left very early to beat the traffic. Tracy and I spent the whole day investigating the cottage and the woods surrounding it. Her parents spent most of the day inside, setting up the kitchen, and putting away groceries. This is when Tracy's father started to notice little things like; something he put on the table would all of a sudden be on the counter, a pushed in chair at the table will later be pulled out, and sounds of footsteps upstairs when he and his wife were downstairs. Tracy's mom brushed it off as a creaky old cottage, but her father suspected something else. We were all pretty tired from the drive up and decided to go out for dinner. Tracy's father told us that every time he closed the window in the living room it would be open when he came back in. We just looked at him and laughed, thinking he was trying to scare us. So, he closed the window and bet us that when we got back it would be open. Sure enough when we came back from dinner the window was open! We were surprised being that we all saw him close it, but not ready to jump to the conclusion that it was something supernatural. Tracy's mom said that it must be the spring on the window or something and told her husband to stop trying to scare us.

That night... Tracy and I shared a room that had two double beds in it. Still not feeling well, I woke up in the middle of the night with sharp pains in my stomach. I turned over on my side now facing Tracy in her bed. I opened my eyes to see if she was awake and floating above her was a white mist. It had no specific shape, just sort of like a white cloud. I gave it a questionable look and remember saying to myself. "Wow I really must be sick" Turned back over and went to sleep.

The next morning I was still trying to ignore the pains and was determined to have fun. Tracy and I went on a little nature hike and found a small brook which we spent some time sitting around and taking pictures. Later on in the day we met up with a girl that Tracy knew who lived in the Pocono area. She drove us around, showed us some local hot spots and we just hung out. By the time 9:00pm came around the pains in my stomach were so bad I couldn't ignore them anymore. So Tracy's friend drove us back to the cottage and I went to bed. In the middle of the night we woke up to the sound of her mother screaming at the top of her lungs. We both jumped out of bed and ran into her parent's room to see what was the matter. Her father told us it was nothing and to go back to bed. Her mom was so scared she was shaking. We asked her what happened and she said that she opened her eyes and saw something floating above her. I said... Was it a white mist? Everyone just looked at me. She shook her head yes and asked me how I knew. I said because I saw the same thing floating above Tracy last night. Well I thought Tracy was going to pass out, she couldn't believe that I saw something and didn't say anything to her about it. I explained to them that I thought I was hallucinating because I wasn't feeling well. Tracy's mom wanted to leave right then and there, but her father calmed her down and said whatever it is it's probably just curious and hasn't done anything to hurt us. So we went back to bed, but none of us slept the rest of the night. We were all up listening to the sound of the chairs being dragged across the kitchen floor downstairs.

The next morning Tracy's father was the first to go downstairs. He said he found all the chairs pulled out as far as they could go from the table. We were all talking about the events that took place during the night and finally agreed that there was something or someone else in the cottage. That day I was feeling worse than ever. I had pains, fever and was throwing up. We were all supposed to go see The King And I, which was playing at the local theatre, but I chose to stay behind. Everyone thought I was nuts for wanting to stay there alone, but I was so sick I didn't even care. When they left, I got myself comfy on the couch and said out loud. "Look, I know you're here, you know I'm here. You can do whatever you want just please leave me alone because I don't feel well." It must have heard me because I was totally fine, there were some creaks and footsteps upstairs but nothing happened the whole time I was downstairs. I watched tv and even took a nap. By the time everyone came back I had started to feel better. They asked me if I was scared and if anything happened. I told them no because I made a deal with the ghost, it did what it wanted upstairs while I was downstairs. Tracy said I was crazy and we just laughed. The rest of our vacation was a blast, and we had no further sightings of the cottage "resident".

Here we are 19 years later and Tracy and I are still friends. Every now and then when we tell people about all the crazy things we have done growing up, the haunted cottage is always one of our first and favorite stories. Thanks for reading and I hope you all enjoyed it.

Other hauntings by cosmogal926

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, cosmogal926, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Inferno (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-13)
I found out that Callies Candy Kitchen is in Creso Pennsylvania which is 20 miles from my house (which is close for things up here lol) It's more over by where I went to High School.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-27)
NpNpoisoN, yep I was lucky that it was a friendly spirit. We were thinking it must have been someone who either owned the cottage or took care of it at some point. So when I was too sick to go out and decided to stay alone in the cottage I decided to talk to it like it was a real person. I gave it acknowledgment and tried to play on it's sympathy by saying that I was really sick. To my surprise I think it heard me and let me rest. I thought that was very nice. 😊
NpN4poisoN (2 stories) (36 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-27)
Nice post... Kinda reminded me of Casper... LOL... The ghost was the good sorts to keep out of your way cause sometimes talking to them gets them instigated to try out weirder acts... But a good Story! 😊
Nick_Jennet (1 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-01)
Ppl, I have to tell you. I just got back with the family from Skytop resorts 2010 Spooktacular weekend, and I went on a tour with a team of ghost hunters from that area, Pocono paranormal research. The tour I went on was with the team leader Jon and a team psychic, Rachael. They were an unstoppable team! They called out one nasty ghost in the attic named Ray on our tour that was slamming the wall making noise, then someone got shoved. This was all real! These guys are good! No tricks! I hope their going back next year because Ill be there too again! Just had to post that.
a1222222 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-28)
Cosmogal 926, Thanks for your comment. To answer your questions, I didnt' contact any of those spirits you mentioned because remember in my story, several ghost hunters tried to contact Marilyn, Clift and others but always failed. I'm sure these stories are false and were made to attract more guests. Thanks again be safe πŸ˜†
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-11)
Wow Brandon that would be great if the cottage is still there. It's been such a long time but I remember that it was a white 2 story cottage set in the woods off a dirt road. It had a front porch with a couple of chairs outside. The windows were old and large with wood on the bottom. There were two bedrooms upstairs. I know there was a little lake or pond not too far from the house. It's weird how only I and my friend's mom saw it. I'm glad she did see it though, because I thought the cheese had slid off my cracker. LOL 😜 Thanks for your comment 😊
BrandonCR (5 stories) (64 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-09)
I have family in the poconos, maybe I will search this place out, it would be great if it was abandoned, (I would be able to go in and check it out if that were so). I love checking out haunted places I have been doing it for some time now, Great account, did you know that most poltergeists are only active around a specific person? It's true maybe you, or another person who was with you was psychic enough to awaken, or empower the ghosts in the house.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-02)
Hi Inferno, I'm sorry I don't remember exactly where it was, but I remember a candy store that wasn't too far from the cottage it was called Callies Candy Kitchen. I think I spent most of my money in that store. LOL! πŸ˜† Thanks for the comment.
Inferno (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-27)
Do you remember where this was in the poconos? I live there and would like to avoid this place haha.
cguerra (4 stories) (16 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-01)
I am glad others were with you when it happened because other people who have never witnessed things like this think you are crazy or something. Great story but now I have the chills πŸ˜‰
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-10)
Hello again, what I believe is when we go to sleep, Our spirit controls our thought process. It uses information gathered from our conscious state of mind, and conforms it with I guess its own desire and presents us with a visual we call dreams. Sometimes when we wake up through the night,There's a window of time usually not long. We can see around our room from both state of minds conscious and sub conscious. The trick is to validate what's is real and what is not, I believe that ghost know that this is a opportunity to make contact. I also believe that when we go to sleep right at the point of lights out, They make a effort to contact us. So when we jump not all the time but sometimes, Someone is trying to make contact with us. I also believe our spirit through dreams can see the future, Remember both you and I were pulled out of harms way. Maybe that spirit saw our future prior, hope this helps explain a little. Bye
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-09)
HoneyWest, thank you for the comment. I agree with you that whomever lived in the cottage before loved it and continued to take care of the place after they passed away. I would love to go back with my friend if it's still open to the public. Next time I see her I will suggest we check it out. 😊

Aussiedaz, It's funny you mention that because I do jump a lot. Not only when I am getting ready to fall asleep, but througout the day as well. I get a chill and then my body does a little jolt. Sometimes I will have a dream that comes out to be true, or partially true and for some strange reason when people I know die, they always come to me in a dream to tell me they are ok. I always wondered why that happens. Thanks for the comment. 😊
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-09)
Hello,I would be interested to know if you jump a lot just before you fall asleep, And have you ever had a dream that came true.I,m asking cause I think you are more physic then you realize. Good story and your doing the right thing when you talk to them.
HoneyWest (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-08)
Thanks for the story!
It would be interesting to know what others experienced when they stayed at the "Haunted Cottage".
It's great that you were able to speak to the presence and that it responded to your
Request for a peaceful co-exsitence.
Whomever lived there prior to it being a vacation retreat really loved the place!
Have you ever thought of returning? Just
To see if it is still there?
Might be time for a friends and family reunion!
Thanks again for your tale! 😁
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-08)
Hi zzsgranny, thank you very much for the comment. That's ok, I know how you feel I used to have a great memory. Now I'm lucky if I remember what I ate for breakfast. LOL! I'm pretty sure that you are right about the Poconos being one of the most haunted places. Thanks again and I'm glad you liked my story. 😊 ❀
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2009-12-08)
Well, I lied... It was the Catskills!... πŸ˜•...That's what happens as we age... The Poconos are still among the most haunted mountains in the country... (I hope I'm right about that!) πŸ˜†...
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2009-12-08)
Ahhh, The Poconos... The story of Rip VanWinkle comes to mind... I think that story was inspired by all of the tales about the mountains being "haunted"...Good story! 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: