You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Noises On The Stairs

Real Ghost Stories

Noises On The Stairs

 

This is my first submission... Sorry if it's slightly confusing. My cat died recently and I happened to find her when she was in fact dying. She was about 17 years old and blind. She would make very distressed meows, if you own a cat you will understand. Anyway when I found my cat on the stairs of my house (she often slept here) she was very quiet. About 20 minutes after I found her, sadly she died.

Every morning I used to wake up to these meows and I would feed her. Well since she has been gone. I haven't heard these meows, but suddenly I hear them a couple times a month. I listen intently and I notice it is coming from the stairs where she used to sit and meow.

I told my mother about what I hear and she says I'm only hearing them as I am traumatized. But I believe this is not the case.

I seem to see ghosts or spirits, whatever you want to call them of animals, but these are not sightings or sounds I am too concerned about, this is what concerns me most.

Please can you help figure out whether is just me hallucinating or it is something else. I really do believe that what I hear is NOT my mind playing tricks on me. And remember these are very distressed meows I hear, not pleasant content cat noises.

Please help.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, StrawberriesandBananas, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

spiritual_twinkie (28 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-31)
I guess you love your cat so much that you cannot forget her, so I think that you should buy another kitty. 😊 😳
Trudy82 (5 stories) (57 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-12)
Well, as some other people said, what I would do is have a "heart to heart" with your cat. I know it sounds silly. But next time you hear her meowing, talk to her and explain to her that she died. She might not be aware? Tell her that everything is okay now and she can move on. Maybe that will help. That's what I would try first anyway.
Ibelieveinghosts (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-10)
So very sorry to hear about the death of your beloved cat. I have 3 of my own & losing them would be unbearable. Many people believe that animals have no souls so they wouldn't appear in spirit form. I don't think this is true. I think if an animal truly loved their owners & were very attached to them, then the animal could hang around & watch over their loved ones. Maybe your cat is doing that for you. 😊
randomcouldntthinkofname (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-10)
I am very sorry about your cat. I wouldn't bear to lose my cat. Mine is wonderfully friendly.

I have a question of my own.

For some reason I get these dreams, and from time to time I see something similar. I got a dream in of being in school, and about a year later I saw something very close, and sprung the memory of the dream.
I would love for someone to answer this.
ashkac11_ (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-09)
I'm truley sorry to hear about your cat. My cat passed this past summer.
I don't think you're hallucinating.
They say ghosts haunt because a traumatic experience. Part of their soul gets imprinted into someplace, or something. Now I know you must think how silly for a cat?
As crazy as it sounds I've seen and heard my cat before after he passed. He loved to chill on the piano, and I've seen him there a few times. Try talking to your cat, it sounds crazy, but maybe it will help.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-09)
gvf might be on to something with the whole guilt thing.

If you truly believe you were not traumatized by the discovery (yet surely it has had SOME emotional effect on you) then perhaps you really are hearing a spirit cat.

If I were you I'd either A) Accept and perhaps it will stop B) Visit the burial spot and pay respects (what could it hurt?
gvf7225 (3 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-09)
maybe you are feeling a bit guilty because you didn't pay as much attention to her as much as you did your dogs. That doesn't mean you loved her less. I agree with Hobbyholly go spend some time at her resting spot and maybe plant some beautiful flowers there. That might make you feel better and maybe the distressed meows will go away. ❤
StrawberriesandBananas (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-09)
Hobbyholly,
I know that post was a bit dodgy I mean like, of course we wanted her to rest in peace but to be truthfully honest I didn't want anything to do with the burial of her because I was upset.
I understand what you mean completly, but I don't feel traumatised by the experience which is why I posted my story because I don't know why I hear her if I'm not traumatised. I'm sorry if that's a bit confusing
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-09)
"We buried her but it wasn't too much out of wanting her to rest in peace, if you know what I mean. Don't take this post the wrong way. I love her and miss her dearly."

That statement is sorta contradicting... But anyway:

Maybe you're hearing the cat because you're the one that found her. I honestly think your mother is right about this being sorta traumatizing. Regardless of what I think, you need to make some sort of peace with this or just move on. Does that make sense?
StrawberriesandBananas (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-09)
Hobbyholly,
The thing is, I wasn't actually very close to my cat as I have two dogs I never payed much mind to her. My mum did. But when she became ill and sadly passed away. We buried her but it wasn't too much out of wanting her to rest in peace, if you know what I mean. Don't take this post the wrong way. I love her and miss her dearly. What I don't understand is why I feel I can hear her as I was not as close to her as I was to my dogs.: (
P.s I'm fourteen. I don't know how that hels but I thought I would let you know
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-09)
Just a thought:

If its not too personal, did you have your cat buried? Or cremated? Perhaps if it is buried a visit to the site is in order. Leave some flowers (or cat nip). This may sound silly but maybe have a conversation. Express that you loved it dearly and hope it is at rest. Although... It isn't silly considering people visit loved ones graves and "talk to them".
HoneyWest (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-09)
Dear Cat Lover,
I am very sorry for your lose. I, too, am a great lover of cats. Currently I have four of the lovely creatures, all of which, I love dearly. I have had several in my lifetime. I could not imagine my life without cats.
I do think that when we go to the next life we will be blessed with being reunited with all of our dearest, darling pets. I think that they go to "heaven" to. Their little Souls are nothing but pure love and joy, so, there is no need for them to ever be anywhere but "heaven".
I am so sorry that you "hear" your baby crying. If I were in your position I would address my "baby" by speaking to her. I would tell her that she will be alright and that she will not be alone in "heaven".
I think that she misses you as you miss her.
It is very hard to be without the soft lovey by your side, as it is for her to not be by your side.
Speak to her, pray for her to find peace in the next dimension. Tell her you miss her and that you will always love her.
Studies have shown that cats have a vocabulary that is as broad as that of a 5 to 7 year old child, she will understand what you are saying. Tell her that she will be alright and that you will see her on the "other side" one day, when it is time.
Meanwhile, in a little bit, after a little time has passed, go to your local shelter or look for ads for "kittens free to a good Home" and get yourself another cat or two. It's great when they have playmates of their own size. When you are not home they are never alone and they alway have someone to clean the tops of their little heads. Mine love grooming each other.
It may seem hard right now, but, to have a new kitten will take away some of the pain you now feel in your heart.
Good luck and God Bless You, Cat Lover
michellelovesghosts (5 stories) (50 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-08)
Aw I absolutely love my kitty and I strongly believe they come back to you even in the afterlife. There are many sightings and stories of people seeing shadows of their lost loved ones. I believe they're family too and have feelings. Theres 'shadow people' why not 'shadows animals'? ❤
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-08)
I guess I'm 50/50 too. In times of stress and loss our minds can do interesting things, some to hide our feelings and other things to try and satisfy our loss. After my aunts dog of many years died I was over at her house with a friend visiting and it was about 9 at night. We were talking when I heard what sounded like four little paws hit the closed bedroom door where the dog stayed sometimes, then quick scratching like when it used it's front paws to further let you know it was ready to come out and play. I thought my aunt had gotten another dog, which seemed out of place because she was still getting over her loss. My friend and I looked at each other and then at her and she said, "oh, its just?" (what ever his name was, I forget now). She went on to say that she hears that every now and then. We quickly got up and excused ourselves. I've heard of pets revisiting their loving owners and heard evidence of it being so, so I could believe it could actually be your cat. I wouldn't expect to many civilians (those not like minded) to agree with you though.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-08)
I'm sorry you lost a beloved pet.

I use to live with a cat until I moved and left him with my parents. Sometimes if I'm napping I think I'll hear him meowing or "feel" him jumping on the bed.

I'm 50/50 on what you're experiencing. Logic says its probably just your mind. As I said, I haven't lived with my cat in quite some time but still "hear" him. Then again maybe your cat's presence is still around. If you truly believe it really is your cat... Then so be it

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: