You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: I'm Terrified Of My Stairs

Real Ghost Stories

I'm Terrified Of My Stairs

 

I'm 19 years of age as of writing this, and I've been an atheist and skeptic since grade 7. I've never believed in ghosts, and have always considered the stories of such to be embellished fabrications (which grew even more embellished over time) or just hallucinations brought on by alcohol, medication, or carbon monoxide leaks or something of the sort. But, as of three weeks ago, I'm convinced I've been wrong about the afterlife all along.

I've always had this weird fear of the dark. When I steal away to the downstairs kitchen for a snack in the middle of the night (I usually stay up until around 5 am), I either leave the kitchen light on as I head back upstairs or I turn it off and book it up the steps and rush into my room and close the door behind me. I don't know why I do this, I never really believed in the super natural. I'm just a pansy I guess. But occasionally I'll challenge myself and turn the light off and then walk up the steps at a normal, more civilized pace. The few times I had done this, until a few weeks ago, had been successful but never reassured my awkward tendencies.

Three weeks ago I was watching movies on my laptop in my bedroom and need a refill on pretzels, so I went to the kitchen and filled up a bowl and grabbed a cup of crystal light as well. I then turned off the kitchen light and started walking up the stairs. My stairs make a T shape, whereas the top of the T lead to either the kitchen or the front hallway, depending on which way you take, and the bottom leads up stairs to an intersection of rooms and a bathroom. Right as I left the top part of the T and had made it up two steps of the straight-away, I felt my ankle being forcefully grabbed. I looked back and saw nothing, but could not jerk my ankle forward for a few seconds.

I finally broke free and booked it up into my room and shut the door. I was freaking out and it took me a moment to reach for my light switch to flip it on. Upon moving it I realized that I had turned the light out by pulling the string hanging from the ceiling fan. When I turned on the light I saw a black, smoky substance flutter around for nearly a second and then disappear from my vision.

I don't know what brought this on, and I'm not entirely convinced that it was anything supernatural; I could've just been hallucinating for some reason. But now I never even get midnight snacks; I guess I'm practically dieting now. I'd like to hear your opinions on this. Thanks for reading.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kentucky

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Idle, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Mustangmusic (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-28)
I know how you feel i've had similar things happen. I was afraid of the dark until my mid-to late teens also. Since you said you are normally up at that time I doubt it was your eyes playing tricks on you. If it happens again you may want to try standing up to it and telling it to leave you alone or something like that. Good luck 😊
Brooklynnberceuse (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-09)
I do the same thing throughout my house! I do it a lot now that I started being let home alone. My house is really creepy though because I see this weird black thing crawling up my stairs at night when I'm alone and then I see it laying in the bathtub sometimes when I get to the top of my stairs (my bathroom is at the top of my family's stairs). So I understand how it feels. It's really exceptionally scary. The thing that sucks is that in both of our stories it only seems to happen when nobody is around. I wish you best of luck and stay safe! 😁
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-12)
If a magician can hypnotize a entire audience, and make them believe they are what he suggest. Then it could be possible that our fears trigger a similar reaction. Do you think the light on would have made a difference. I have struggled for years accepting things that have happened to me, and I do believe their are ghost but I do believe our fears distort the truth.
ChuppaChupp (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-12)
Heeyy, Idle.

I do the exact same thing! I don't get midnight snacks, but at night, when we watch the telly, I sometimes want to go upstairs to get something. I don't rush upstairs, but I ZOOM downstairs!
Im not afraid of the dark though. I used to beee. 😊
I also doubt you were hallucinating. Maybe you were imagining things though because you watch to many creepy films. 😆

Stay safee!
Xox ChuppaChuppp xox 😁
Trudy82 (5 stories) (57 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-12)
lol I was a total "pansy" in the dark as well until I was about 18. I was chuckling while I read this because I used to play that same game with the lights, turning them off as I went along, making sure I always had light until I was "safe" under my covers. I'm 27 now and I still have to remind myself to stay calm sometimes. My imagination runs wild in the dark. I guess it's because I've had so many things happen to me in the dark... Anyway, I know how freaky it is to be grabbed! Nothing more terrifying than being grabbed by some being that you can't see! That is curious that it would suddenly happen when it's never happened to you before in that house. But I suppose that maybe your gut makes you want to run for a reason! At any rate, stay safe and don't let fear get the upper hand.
~Trudy~
Dracosgirl (3 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-11)
Oh gosh. I'm terrified of my stairs as well. On the weekend, I'm always the last one to shut the lights off and everything and I'm terrified of heading up the stairs because they're so long. I've always had a fear as a child that someone will grab hold of me an pull me under or cut my foot in the dark or something. I'm 17, almost 18 and I still think like this ^_^
VampireLord (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-11)
I doubt it was hallucination if you were sober. What movies were you watching? There could be an image that was projected cause you saw it just recently.
_pretty_ (25 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-10)
have yu played with any magik or boards lately... Mocked the the "other" side... If not than maybe thay are just trying to say "HEY IM HERE"!lol
~pretty~ 😉ps I also HUGE pansy in dark and I'm 18 lol so don't feel bad... My fiance got me a princess night light for my house and his lolol best wishes
Ibelieveinghosts (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-10)
Idle: I doubt if you were hallucinating if you were perfectly sober & hadn't been using any drugs. The only other reason I can think of as to why you may have been hallucinating is a mental illness of some sort. If you have none of those then it sounds like you may have had your first experience with the paranormal! I have a few questions for you. How long have you lived there? Has anything even remotely strange that can be considered as paranormal ever happen before? Do you know any of the history behind where you live?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: