You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Harmless North Florida Ghost?

Real Ghost Stories

Harmless North Florida Ghost?

 

Hey, y'all. I finally got time to write about some of our more recent happenings. My wife and I live in Jacksonville, Florida in a wood frame house. Our previous home here was of similar construction and size of this one and with similar activity.

About 5 years ago we moved into the first of these homes. We knew that the house was old, but knew very little about its past. It had beautiful wood floors, accept in the bedrooms, bathroom and kitchen. We had some lamps in the living room that were the type that get brighter when you touch them and turn off and on by touch. They are really convenient and pretty cool. Sometimes when we would be sitting on the couch watching television, on their own the lights would get brighter or turn off depending on what setting they were on. At first this wasn't anything to get excited about.

One day as I was in the bathroom and had just finished brushing my teeth, I saw out of the corner of my eye someone walk past the doorway headed to our bedroom. Figuring that it was my wife I spoke to her. After a few seconds I heard her respond from the kitchen which was the other direction from our room. Thinking, "Oh, well", maybe it was my mind playing with me, I shrugged it off. But it happened a few more times in the future.

The one that got our attention was that one night when I was working on night shift, I got off a little early and when I got home my wife told me something odd. While she was trying to go to sleep, the door to our bedroom had slammed closed, scaring her badly. She listened for footsteps, since they could be easily heard on the wood floors in our wood frame home. She heard nothing else until my return home hours later. Keep in mind that we were renters and the owner of the home, don't ask me why, had laid carpet on top of a thinner carpet in our bedroom instead of pulling up the old first. This made the door harder to close and it would not close when the A/C turned on. In fact it would not move without some good force. Shortly before we moved out of the home, a friend of my brother-in-law was over with him to visit. She was telling us about the home. She said, "My grandparents use to live in this house. In fact they both passed away in that back bedroom." Although I don't know how they died or if they died at the same time, it just seemed a little creepier after that when things happened.

Moving into the home we are in now, we also had no known history with it. All that has happened here has been voices. I have heard someone sigh right beside me in the living room when I was on the computer and a woman whisper when I was about to lock the door for the evening. But the one voice that startled me was one night as I lay in bed trying to sleep, I heard a little girl giggle between my wife and I. I immediately looked to see if she heard it but my wife had been asleep with that 'dead to the world' look on her face. It was as if a child had climbed into bed between us. Though it took some time, I finally fell asleep. I have since kept my ears perked for anything out of the ordinary.

Anyway, if I find out any history on the house or if anything further happens, I will post it.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bayouboy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

xXelliemayXx (10 stories) (164 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-16)
i totally agree with tonith... Or you could just simply ask it to leave... That's what I would do 😁
Shia453 (2 stories) (20 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-15)
Ah, I just reread my comment and realized that it does sound very...snippy. I didn't mean for it to sound irritated or otherwise - I can just be very straightforward sometimes, which doesn't translate well at all into writing.

I totally understand what you mean, DARKNESS, and what I meant to get across was that in this particular case, bayouboy isn't having those problems and doesn't need to react agressively towards the spirits. I'm sorry that I ended up sounding so defensive 😕
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-15)
In response to your comment Shia453 I do understand what you are saying and that's great that you and your ghost can co-exist peacefully, but there is a lot of other people out there that don't have this option and need help in trying to find out what is going on if it is seriously affecting there lives.
I believe this is what Tonith was trying to get at maybe, and I was mentioning that sometimes the spirits are aware of this going on.

Thank you

Dan 😁
Shia453 (2 stories) (20 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-15)
I happen to agree with you, bayouboy, and I disagree with DARKNESS and Tonith. My home that I've lived in for my entire life is haunted by a non-violent ghost. I know this for a fact - not just because of some smaller happenings that usually occur, but because I've personally encountered him twice.

I can see no compelling reason why I should try to gather evidence of his presence. He doesn't bother us (though he may startle my cats a little) and he doesn't seem to be bothered by being here with us.

He has made absolutely certain that I can have no doubt of his existence, and that's more than enough for me. Why should I have to prove him to the rest of the world? I don't need to gain other people's approval or attention. Why should I constantly try to "turn the tables on him"? He's not my enemy and we're not waging a war - we coexist peacefully.

Shakespeare was a wise man =) It's alright to allow for the mystery of something that you don't fully understand, and to simply appreciate its wonder for as long as it lasts. You can't possibly believe that something exists while you keep trying to prove that it exists, and I find that people who go through their entire lives searching for "the proof" end up very unsatisfied.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-14)
I do agree with Tonith although I would like to add that in the majority of cases and stories I have read where the occupants of the house try to get evidence of there hauntings, end up revealing nothing its almost as if the spirits are aware of what they are doing, its when they are not prepared and least expecting it is when the next occurence seems to happen well that's my theory anyway.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Dan
bayouboy (guest)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-14)
Actually, Tonith, I agree with a friend of mine who's been seeing a little girl in his home. When I asked him if he had tried to communicate with her or have someone do an investigation, he said, "She's not hurting anyone and I don't want to escalate the situation. I'm not gonna' mess with it."

Sometimes it's like nature. It's really cool to see a grizzly bear walking a hillside with her cubs. But if you try to make contact or interact with them, most certainly you will meet the working end of her claws and teeth. It could be better to be amazed by the occurance and know that, as Shakespear's Hamlet said,"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-14)
I live in a 123 year old house and I have never gotten the action you sensitive's do. Again you were not the only one experiencing it. So unless people start exchanging stories which creates suggestion I would think you both had valid experiences. Again without proof they are just that "stories". Personal experiences. Where is a camera and digital recorder when you need one? That's what I would be doing if I thought my residence was haunted. I would be trying to get evidence of it. One of two things would happen, the ghost would cooperate or get tired of being watched and leave. It's like turning the tables on them. No one wants a loss of privacy; dead or alive.
bayouboy (guest)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-12)
I'm with you on that, greenpondmike. Although I keep myself aware, I would rather not experience any malevolent activity in my own home.
greenpondmike (1 stories) (82 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-11)
An't no telling how many homes are haunted nowadays. Some people might have a ghost and not even know it, although they may have been living in their home for years. Sounds like you only encountered the non violent kind, which is the only kind I care to meet.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: