You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Sister

Real Ghost Stories

Sister

 

This story was told to me a few years ago by Jody Ballenger of Birmingham, Alabama. She swore it was "gospel truth".

Jody Ballenger said that many Christmases ago on Christmas Eve, she and her husband of many years Johnny were doing some late afternoon last minute shopping. As they drove to the stores they noticed an elderly black woman, obviously blind, struggling to make her way along the sidewalk. They were so concerned for her that they stopped and Jody asked if they could help her.

The woman smiled and gratefully accepted a ride to the nearby grocery store. They asked her name and she said "Just call me Sister."

At the store Jody and Johnny and Sister did the shopping together. Jody got the articles Sister wanted from the shelves for her and Sister asked her to pick out a poinsettia. Jody chose a pretty one and they checked out and drove Sister home. She gave them her address and directions and they arrived in front of a neat, small frame house. All the while Jody said that Sister commented from time to time "Can't you feel the angels all around us?"

Jody and Johnny helped Sister in with her things and put the poinsettia on her dining table. Wishing each other a merry Christmas, they parted company with Sister's thanks and again her comment "Can't you feel the angels all around us?"

That Christmas Eve Sister was very much on the Ballengers minds as they celebrated with family and friends. On Christmas Day they decided to pay a call on Sister to see how she was doing and if she had everything she needed.

They drove back to the same part of town, to the same address they had been to the night before. Instead of the little neat house they found a shabby house in a rundown neighborhood. The people who lived there had no idea who Sister was when asked by the Ballengers. None of the other people in the neighborhood knew her either. The Ballengers left, baffled and wondering who was the mysterious Sister who called on them to "feel the angels all around". Perhaps they had "entertained an angel unaware"?

BE NOT FORGETFUL; TO ENTERTAIN STRANGERS:

FOR THEREBY SOME HAVE ENTERTAINED

ANGELS UNAWARE!

-Hebrews 13:2 KJV

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Alabama

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, dismay, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

biblefreeme (2 stories) (137 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-23)
your freinds experience sounds like a clasic case of a timeslip, there is a famous case involving two ladies and the palace at versais if you want to look it up online.
dismay (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-17)
Thanks All for your kind comments and possible explanations of what happened to the Ballengers that Christmas years ago.
I think it was M.R. James who said that it's only "afterwards" that you realize you have had a ghostly experience 😊.
_pretty_ (25 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-15)
Very very heart felt I think she was an angel testing your friends kindness there's a better word for that but still. Loved your storie
ZiShu (281 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-14)
Sister was probably either a spirit guide from God or an Angel in disguise. It came to remind the couple of God and how they are blessed.
It seems this being had a powerful ability to show strong illusions.
It could also be the work of the "angels around".
Christmas is special, I guess that really means it is around Jesus's birthday or right on it.
God Bless
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-14)
That's a very nice story and your friends sound like good people. The thing is, I know how easy it is to forget exactly where a place is having gone there only once. I have always considered my sense of direction to be great but I have found myself at a loss before. It's most likely the case that they were in the right vicinity but the wrong house. In small neighborhoods they tend to look alike a lot, especially if they took her home at dusk or night.
haterandloverofghosts (15 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-12)
I think it was an angel. Why would she ask you to call her sister? Maybe she was testing you? Anyway, nice story.

Wish you the best 😁
greenpondmike (1 stories) (82 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-11)
Dismay,I've already figured out what I was going to say before I finished reading the story, but at the end you took the words right out of my mouth. Good to see another person from down around where I live. GOD bless and merry Christmas to you and your family.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-11)
What a beautiful and inspiring story ❤ Perfect for putting me in the Christmas spirit. 😊 Thank you for sharing it with us.
lovedaniel (1 stories) (15 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-11)
sweet story... ❤ it brought a smile to my face, and it really feels like a great Christmas story.
dismay (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-11)
The first question I asked when Jody told me the story was "Did you just get mixed up about the location of Sister's house?" Jody said it was the very same street address and location as the night before. Everything there was drastically changed... Poor people and rundown houses, not at all like the place they saw on Christmas Eve.
kaay16 (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-11)
You're right, she very well could have been an angel. Either that, or maybe they were the angels Sister was referring to? Either way, great story! It brought a smile to my face 😊
bobby_singh (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-11)
is there the slight chance they may have accidently gone to the wrong address?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: