You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Phantom Cat

Real Ghost Stories

Phantom Cat

 

I'm posting this story in hopes of finding anyone else that has had similar experiences or may know what it was.

I have had several paranormal experiences in my lifetime, but this is a new one for me.

I grew up with cats and one of my favourite things about them is when they climb on to your bed and kneed your blankets with their paws.

Well a few years ago I was experiencing this same sensation while lying in bed. Though we do have a cat, I knew it wasn't him because he has been locked in the basement since my son started crawling then walking three and a half years ago.

Also there was no purring sounds just the sensation of a small (cat sized) four legged animal walking on my bed and making the kneading motions. Well that went on for a few months and then it stopped. I chalked it up to pure exhaustion from being up all night with a child who had yet to sleep through the night. So I was taken by complete surprise when it happened to me again this morning 01/04/10!

My son gets up early these days and watches his cartoons while I try and sleep. This morning like all mornings he was in and out of my room all morning with questions and things he wanted to tell me. As much as I wanted to be asleep, I was wide awake instead.

I was just lying in my bed waiting for another interruption, when I began to feel a light walking on my bed around where I was lying. At first I thought it was just my son trying to sneak up on me, but then I heard him laughing in the living room. Confused, because I could still feel the walking and kneading motions I sat up and looked down at my legs truly expecting to see our new kitten, but there was nothing on my bed. And after I looked the sensations stopped.

Also after I got up I was able to confirm that both our grown cat and our new kitten were both still in the basement and my son had not let either of them up.

So now I apparently have a phantom cat to join my two living cats, at least I don't have to feed this one.

Has anyone else experienced this, or might know what it is? I would appreciate any and all comments.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, amacniel, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Sonty (1 stories) (29 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-16)
rookdygin,

Thumbs up for you and your post. Because I wanted to say the same thing with different selection of words, but was not too sure how to put it across. You rock buddy.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-16)
Ken925,

We applaud your enthusiasm but you will receive more responses to your 'experience' if you submit it via the normal channels (Top of the page there is a Submit Your Story link).

Thanks for playing...

Respectfully,

Rook
Ken925 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-16)
I have one here. Not sure if it is a cat or something else (small dog perhaps?). When you search for ghost walking across bed, we see it is a much reported phenomena. About 20 years ago I bought the house I am in now. Almost in the first week both my wife and I independently noticed on different occasions something small and white moving quickly across whatever room we were in, at the corner of our peripheral vision. It was never there of course when we looked to see what it was. It seemed non-threatening to both of us, behaving just like our real cats do when a stranger comes in the house or the room they are in. I.e., run and hide. After a few months we mentioned it to each other. Great relief on my part to learn she had seen those flashes of movement too. A second phenomena we had both noticed (which most often occurred when sleeping or resting in bed alone) was the unmistakable sensation of some kind of pet walking across the bed when we were half asleep. More than once because we had real cats and a small dog we mistook it for them at first, but then they would hop on the bed or we would realize the real animal was sleeping at the other end of the bed. When I (or her) would look at the spot where we felt something moving, we saw nothing.

Inquiries to neighbors disclosed the family before us had both cats and small dogs before they divorced, sold the home and moved away.

Sometimes it would also feel like a small animal had lain down on or against my legs or feet. On two or three occasions I would look at the spot where the walking or animal laying down sensation was coming from and also see one or two of our pets at the bed's other end just staring at that spot. Did they feel the motion, or did they see something (their eyes see a different spectrum than ours do) I can't? I don't know.

We never felt threatened by whatever it was. It really behaved just like a lonely pet. This went on for about 18 years until my wife died of cancer. For the next year or two I felt and saw nothing and had halfway decided the experience was related to the presence of a human female going through hormonal changes.
Now all of our pets had watched my wife sicken and when she went away we all had a long period of adjustment, as her absence meant the household human/pet dynamics had shifted. Her favorite had to get used to dealing with just me, all had to equate my voice instead of hers with food, etc. Then about 4 months ago it all started again.

A small flash of something small (cat or chihuahua sized) sometimes running out into the dining room when I entered the living room, an unknown walking across the bed while I was trying to sleep.

This Monday was very interesting. A friend who had never been here before stayed the night sleeping on the sofa bed in the living room. She went to sleep at around midnight so I went into the back bedroom and watched movies there until about 5am. My cats followed me into the bed and slept on it with me. They were still there at 5 when I turned the DVD player off. I experienced no phenomena.

At about 730 my friend woke me for coffee. My cats were still on the bed with me. Idly chatting as we waited for her ride I asked her if she slept well. I think I had blocked all the drafts and gave her enough blankets, but wasn't sure and I had never actually tried my new Castro convertible sofa bed myself. Could have knocked me over with a feather when she reported the bed was comfortable and the blankets kept her warm, but the one or more of the cats kept jumping on her bed and walking across it all night long. She slept under the blanket, so she didn't see it, but she kept feeling it jump on the bed, walk across or up and down it, then go away. It happened 4 or 5 times during the night. I said nothing. My thought is, this is normal behavior for a cat checking out a strange sleeping human. If it is a ghost, then the behavior stays the same. I am also open to the possibility it isn't a ghost, just something small and lonely, slightly out of phase that we can't identify or put a name to yet.
Jdoggy667 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-29)
I had a cat named scoby and he had to die of a tumor 😭 and about a month later after he had passed I was laying in bed and I felt something jump onto the bed and thought it was my other cat boykiss and I looked down and nothing was there but I felt it near my legs and something lick me but he would always lick me.
BPV (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-14)
I am replying to the "Phantom Cat By amacniel" I recently lost 1 of my 4 cats her name is Princess, which by the way that name totally fit her in every way! She was truly my guardian angle. I came home from lunch amd held her for a while and when I went to put her down she had become very limp so I picked her back up and held her for about another 5 minutes and she died in my arms. I hurt so badly, I have never lost anything that I loved sooo much. I called my husband at work to come home to have her buried her and I couldn't let her go until she had the perfect place to be put to rest. It seemed like it was about 2 months later when I felt something land on my bed as if it had jumped off my head board then I heard something hit my lamp shade which is made some type of metal, brass I think as if a marbel was thrown at it I guess they were trying to get my attention. Then I felt a cat walking on my bed when the door was shut and only my dog was in the room. Since then I know that there is a couple of cats and some kittens. The other night I just laid my head on the pillow and I felt one of the cats pawing at my face, it was making my eye lashes twitch because it was so close but what was strange was it was pawing from inside of the the pillow out to my face, then it like swam inside the matress with an up and down motion to the end of the bed and popped out. I can feel them walk on me, lay on me and feel them purring. I am not scared of them at all I really like them being here, I wonder if they are watching over me are just here to chomfort me or maybe they just feel safe here. I am not sure if one of them is Princess but I like to think so, and maybe she brought some of her family that has passes as well. I hope this helps, at least to know that it's not just you!
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-21)
I have dealt with a ghost cat - my wife and I both seen it in our house and seen it vanish and it terrorized our own cat badly. I know several people who have dealt with cat spirits
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-21)
I have dealt with a ghost cat - my wife and I both seen it in our house and seen it vanish and it terrorized. I know several people who have dealt with cat spirits
hoodsie (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-31)
I have had the same experience - feeling cat paws climbing on my back as I am either waking up or falling asleep - we have two cats, and this has happened in two separate houses - and I am 100% sure that the paws my husband and I have felt are not from our cats - it's really incredible how real/physical the paws feel - it's really wild. We've never had any cats that have died - so not sure why these cats/this cat chooses to visit us - good to know this isn't a unique experience!
dontbeafraid894 (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-23)
i have always loved animals. I feel a special conction to them, I think its funny that us humans always think we know so much more than they do. But that's so far from the truth, they can sence the things that we don't see tell is to late. They have the sixth sence that we are missing. (for the best) so when a pet comes back its for reason! Maybe to protect you from something or it just loves you ❤ for any reason pets are amazing and they are a gift like no other dead or not! 😁
Don1 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-06)
I've joined this site just to comment on this.
Im so glad I'm not alone with this kind of thing with what feels like cats walking on my bed and I've felt something sit on the egde of my bed too. The strangest thing is, the cats seem to read my mind. When I think of it, it happens seconds later, I ask it in my mind to jump onto my bed and it does, I don't feel scared at all with any of these experiences so I guess their my protectors.
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
I have experienced spirits of cats a few different times in my life. I have felt pressure before on my bed like something curling up and laying down next to my legs about cat size only to look and there be nothing there. I have also felt something like a cat rubbing my legs and circling only to look down and see nothing. I have a strong love for animals and especially cats so I think sometimes I get visits from other cat spirits because they can somehow sense that in me. I also currently own two cats by the way.
nyarlathotepsama (1 stories) (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-25)
Thank you for sharing you story amacniel! I've heard about something just like this. I have a friend, he has been a friend since high school so I trust and respect him. He is a cat lover, as am I *smiles*.

It was about six years ago now and his first cat, who lived to be about 16, died and he was very sad. He was in bed one night and he swore he felt little kitty foot-steps on his bed, then that same kneading feeling you described. He turned on the light and look but saw nothing. It never happened again but he always says he believes it was his old cat saying good-bye one last time.

I've always wanted to believe that is the case too. So I believe that if humans can have a soul then why couldn't animals?
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-25)
Hi Yeah I have the same experience It also step my hair on my pillow that hurt just laugh myself and also it brush back of my legs when I stand brush my teeth and also try reach it claw on side while I am on computer so to your quiestion yes it did happen me and your seem like friendly one.
rds1 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-11)
Since September of 2006 my wife and I have both felt what seems like a cat walking in our bed. We can feel it when it jumps upon the bed and we can feel pressure on the covers but we cannot see or hear anything. I have set a night vision camera up and nothing has shown up. It never seems to come up above our waists. It really does nothing except walks around. Some weeks it is there every night and others maybe once or twice per week. This happnes in the night and day. I work nights and it also shows up several mornings when I lie down.

Our house is 11 years old and we our the second owners. We have never had a cat nor did the previous owners. We are located in Ky.
amacniel (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-06)
Well, I am not personally afraid of having any kind of spirit around my home, like I said I have had a lot of paranomal experiences in my lifetime.
I am also a sensitve so I easily feel spirits around me when I am in other places as well.
However the day I posted this story, I was sitting at the computer and I heard my son fall behind me and when I checked to see if he was alright he asked why I pushed him.
I told him that I didn't push him and that I was facing away from him when it happened. But he still insisted that he had been pushed.
Nothing else has happened since then but it still made me stop and wonder.
I haven't felt any molevolent spirits in my home for several years now, and I still don't.
Do I feel like I am alone...no.
But then again I never do. 😉
Eir (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-06)
Hello! Interesting story, and no, you are not alone. In fact, in some weird way, you should feel slightly privileged! You have a sweet kitty looking after you and keeping you company... I have felt and experienced similar things when it comes to spirits, including cats.

It may be possible the cause of the sensation is fatigue or stress, but if not, there is a few reasons or different situations as to why it may be drawn to you. As you've said, you have had cats in the past... As weird as this may sound, does the spirit feel familiar? It is possible it's a past cat that you have had or lost at one time that is letting you know you're not alone or that it is ok. I just recently lost one of my cats and he comes back to visit me from time to time, I can feel him lay beside me or his presence in the room. I have also seen and felt other spirits as well, so it doesn't necessarily have to be related to you. As you probably have heard, experiences can also be related to the grounds someone is on.

Regardless, familiar or not, it seems you have nothing to worry about and that the spirit is friendly or a companion. If it bothers you too much though, perhaps if you ask it nicely to leave it will respect your wishes, as I said before, it seems friendly so I doubt that would cause any problems. One thing you definitely should do is ask the people in the home if they've noticed anything similar... And if they haven't, that doesn't mean you're crazy, it may just mean its drawn to your energy or that they cannot sense it as easily.

Thank you for sharing your story, you are not alone. ^_^

~Eir
Watersprite (3 stories) (85 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-05)
A cat definitely died at some point before you moved into your house. My husband and I have seen a ghost dog in our former home in Missouri (looked like a white transparent dog, like a Casper the friendly ghost, except as a dog!). We saw him by ourselves and once when we were watching tv in the living room, we both saw the dog at the same time. In our current home, there is the ghost of the former owners' cat who they let starve to death under the house! They were too damn lazy to go find their kitty, and we found it next to the old furnace, locked in by the trap door that had fallen when the cat was under the house. So when we moved in, my husband buried its little cat mummy with some cat toys and a "blankie" in a box. We have seen that little cat prancing up the hall in the middle of the day, when our two cats were on the closed up porch outside.

I would not be afraid of the ghost cat in your home. I'd much rather have a sweet dead cat keeping me company, and absolutely prefer that to having "human ghosts"! 😨 If you ever have your two cats upstairs, they probably will do what our little calico ladies do when there's an animal ghost around... They just stare at it, like they're thinking, "Huh! Looks like a cat! But it's not really a cat!" And then they just go on about their business.

Take care, and thanks for sharing your interesting story!

~ Watersprite
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-05)
I can't say I have, but my son who is quite psychic has seen our pet dog [who died]walking around our house. So I would presume it's possible that it's a ghost of a cat, I can here the laugh's but why not? Thanks for sharing your story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: